EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Cv Joints or axles (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/487067-cv-joints-axles.html)

Evojj25 Apr 17, 2010 07:49 PM

Cv Joints or axles

Hey was up everyone. I had wanted to ask how would you know if your cv joints or axles are going out? the reason why i asked is that everytime i make a turn, im hearing like a noise and feeling something rough pop.

06RedRalli Apr 17, 2010 07:51 PM

One way to know if your cv joints have failed is to visually inspect them and look for any grease around them...or check for cracks in the boot...I believe it'd be the same for the axles as well...but the cv joints will begin to click as they fail.

Evojj25 Apr 17, 2010 09:23 PM

ok then bc it just started like 3days ago and when it click will it feel like something rough under the car or something bc sometimes it might pull to the left or the right.

Berts24 Apr 18, 2010 07:35 AM

yes a CV joint will make a clicking noise when it's bad, you could just replace the joints but usually it's cheaper just to buy the whole axle

Evojj25 Apr 18, 2010 11:40 AM

ok then berts24 but today the guy who is going to work on my car, i told him about it and we went riding in it around the block and every time i turned we didnt hear a clicking nosie, but i know that everytime i turn like going work or something, i will feel a rough pop in the front of the car and i can feel it in my steering wheel and some times it can pull to the left and some times to the right.

Berts24 Apr 18, 2010 06:03 PM

well did you guys take a look?? I would put it up on jack stands and check for play in everything, and take a look at the axles. It might be a loose tie rod end or something??

arnoldp Apr 18, 2010 06:11 PM

Time for driveshaft shop axles :thumbup:

EvOSean06 Apr 18, 2010 06:20 PM

my car is actually doing the same thing it started today so ill look under it to see whats happening ill let you guys know what happens

yellowevo84 Apr 18, 2010 06:35 PM

MIne was doing this too. We looked under the car and found a small tear in the rubber boot which was leaking grease. I just decided to buy a new axle.

Evojj25 Apr 18, 2010 06:55 PM

were your cars pulling to the left or right sometimes and did you hear and feel a rough pop noise or something?

yellowevo84 Apr 18, 2010 07:05 PM

I had a very bad clacking noise. When i hit bumps i always cringed because i felt like my wheel was gonna fall off.

Evojj25 Apr 18, 2010 09:54 PM

a clacking noise and were you able to feel it in your steering wheel and close to the floor?

evonewb29 Jun 8, 2010 04:41 PM

Im having the same problem. No oil leaking and a really bad sound. My axle however can be moved a little bit by hand when up on a lift. Should new axles fix this or does it sound more serious?

Thanks,
Matt

ANONYMUS Jun 26, 2014 05:47 PM

this is about 4 years old and no update. did replacing the axle fix the problem?

mines5 Jun 26, 2014 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Evojj25 (Post 8213167)
ok then berts24 but today the guy who is going to work on my car, i told him about it and we went riding in it around the block and every time i turned we didnt hear a clicking nosie, but i know that everytime i turn like going work or something, i will feel a rough pop in the front of the car and i can feel it in my steering wheel and some times it can pull to the left and some times to the right.

If you are going to replace or inspect the C.V joints do give some time to the steering gearbox , rack and pinion assembly. Do you feel any sort of vibration when u are above speeds of 80kmh or you go around a bend ?