EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   fp black or bbk? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/489307-fp-black-bbk.html)

mattz09 Apr 28, 2010 05:40 PM

fp black or bbk?

out of them two turbos which one would you choose and why?

evo unknown Apr 28, 2010 05:42 PM

Two completely different turbos in regards to size and power potential. You should do some more searching because there are numerous threads discussing the pro and cons of each turbo in regards to each individuals liking. There are two turbos that would be ideal for different goals.

If I wanted a fast spooling turbo that would allow more power over the stock IX turbo, I would choose BBK.

If I was willing to sacrifice a few hundred rpms of lag to produce a lot of power, I would choose the Black.

Gary@MellonRacing Apr 28, 2010 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by mattz09 (Post 8252112)

what are your supporting mods ?

mattz09 Apr 28, 2010 05:58 PM

intake
3 tbe
tru boost
880cc injectors
buscher ported manifold
o2 dump
walbro 255
ets 3.5 ic
buscher licp

markymark1082 Apr 28, 2010 06:00 PM

Definitely two different turbos.

mattz09 Apr 28, 2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by markymark1082 (Post 8252190)
Definitely two different turbos.

yes i know that just wondering how you all fell about them
which one would you rather have and why?

kanyonkid Apr 28, 2010 06:06 PM

what are u using the car for? I would choose the BBK if i autox and roadrace. If i drag raced, i would get the black.

wizzo 8 Apr 28, 2010 06:09 PM

All I can say is I love my Black{thumbup}

Saleentones Apr 28, 2010 06:13 PM

With your mods I'd do a BBK or HTA Green

FedEvo8 Apr 28, 2010 06:17 PM

Wait for the BBK-XL.

kreionic Apr 28, 2010 06:23 PM

I have gone through a few set ups in my car (never had a black in my personal car). I can honestly say nothing was more fun on the street than the BBK. Spool, response cant be beat. As long as you have the right parts it will make power up top and not die off. I say it everyday yes my car makes more power now but driving it on the street as much as I do I really miss my BBK set up

Saleentones Apr 28, 2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by FedEvo8 (Post 8252255)
Wait for the BBK-XL.

When is supposed to be released... August 2012?

mattz09 Apr 29, 2010 09:05 AM

i already have the bbk full ported hotside i daily drive my car everyday and i am pretty sure the bbk would be the choice just wondering what everyone elses opinions were thats all

thanks guys!

fcapistran Apr 29, 2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by mattz09 (Post 8254321)
i already have the bbk full ported hotside i daily drive my car everyday and i am pretty sure the bbk would be the choice just wondering what everyone elses opinions were thats all

thanks guys!

I thought you haven't installed your bbk to your car? Your the bbk seller right at the for sale forum? this is you right https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-hot-side.html He was selling his BBK and all of a sudden death whine in his car. He said he never get a chance to install this turbo to his car but here in this forum looks like he did.

bman4123 Apr 29, 2010 09:23 AM

I don't believe it is even something that you can compare, each turbo are meant for different things and different amounts of power.

dmoevo Apr 29, 2010 09:25 AM

With your mods I would definitely go with an HTA green.

DDATuned Apr 29, 2010 09:34 AM

So i'm debating on a GT42r and a fpgreen. Which one would you guys choose. I am very confused here. :confused: What are the spool diffrences and are they identical in price?

bbyevo8u Apr 29, 2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Remy (Post 8254430)
So i'm debating on a GT42r and a fpgreen. Which one would you guys choose. I am very confused here. :confused: What are the spool diffrences and are they identical in price?

Lol

ForcedPerformance Apr 29, 2010 09:53 AM

Dont get a black, they suck ;)

1slowassevo Apr 29, 2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance (Post 8254509)

lmfao hope your joking robert..

ForcedPerformance Apr 29, 2010 09:58 AM

No I'm serious, someone needs to buy the other turbos so my customers have people to beat at the track :D

4xforce Apr 29, 2010 10:39 AM

^^That's awesome! LMAO :lol:

1slowassevo Apr 29, 2010 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance (Post 8254535)
No I'm serious, someone needs to buy the other turbos so my customers have people to beat at the track :D

good point robert my black nneds to mop up some cars like that..lol.

4xforce Apr 29, 2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Remy (Post 8254430)

You got LOL'd because those are two very very different choices man. I mean big time. Thats like saying "I'm undecided, should I unscrew the oil drain plug or take out my 357 and bust a cap in the pan?" Same desired result with drastically different consequences.

dambikeracer Apr 29, 2010 10:53 AM

Not building the motor = BBK Full, up to 500 WHP with the right setup. The BBk has a lot better TQ then the Red

Building the motor = Black, up to 700 WHP with the right setup

BLKCarbonEVO Apr 29, 2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance (Post 8254509)

Robert, Hey bud I'll be calling you tomorrow or Monday. I'm sending something your way... I'm going for gold and over 700hp on my ER LR2.4 {thumbup}Should be in car within a week or too.

Mikey

DDATuned Apr 29, 2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 4xforce (Post 8254728)
You got LOL'd because those are two very very different choices man. I mean big time. Thats like saying "I'm undecided, should I unscrew the oil drain plug or take out my 357 and bust a cap in the pan?" Same desired result with drastically different consequences.

It was a joke bro lol.

Hardware Apr 29, 2010 11:16 AM

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I'm daily driving my car and originally was thinking BBK or HTA Green. Though when my car is paid off I might garage it as a race only car so I went with a Red. Not worried about the extra lag and I won't have to upgrade turbo's later on if I want to go with E85. Hoping the Red is delivered tomorrow, Evo's been sleeping for 2 weeks. I miss her.

mattz09 Apr 29, 2010 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by fcapistran (Post 8254375)
I thought you haven't installed your bbk to your car? Your the bbk seller right at the for sale forum? this is you right https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-hot-side.html He was selling his BBK and all of a sudden death whine in his car. He said he never get a chance to install this turbo to his car but here in this forum looks like he did.

i do not have it on my car... its just sitting in my room maybe you need to read a little better and i dont think a lot of you understand what i was asking.

sparky Apr 29, 2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dambikeracer (Post 8254752)
Not building the motor = BBK Full, up to 500 WHP with the right setup. The BBk has a lot better TQ then the Red...Building the motor = Black, up to 700 WHP with the right setup

The assumptions in your statement are surely debatable. The torquier stock style turbos such as the Greens and the BBK-Full are probably harder on a stock engine's rods and bearings and clutch than the higher HP/Lower TQ turbos such as the Red and the Black. Or do you opine differently? It is obvious that you do, dambikeracer. So, please expand on and clarify your ideas.

RockmanX Apr 30, 2010 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 8256946)
The assumptions in your statement are surely debatable. The torquier stock style turbos such as the Greens and the BBK-Full are probably harder on a stock engine's rods and bearings and clutch than the higher HP/Lower TQ turbos such as the Red and the Black. Or do you opine differently? It is obvious that you do, dambikeracer. So, please expand on and clarify your ideas.

+1 to this tq blows motors you would want the red or the black on the stocker less tq produced the bbk and green can get nasty and has been proven. personally op if you are going to want more then 500 the choice is made fp red or black. if you will be happy in the 300 to 450 club then the bbk or the hta green are what you should be considering. Simple as that. if you worried about lag add a 2.3 shorty and there you go wash you hands with it.

BLKCarbonEVO Apr 30, 2010 10:45 AM

Agree with Sparky, no debate. There have been Triple the account of Green cars blow than Reds or Blacks on stock motors. Currently I have not heard of a single Black to blow a motor. The slower and later the spool the safe on stock rods. Having the lower tq and higher hp is what you want on the stock motor. Go FP BLACK

Mikey

SmurfZilla Apr 30, 2010 11:00 AM

I have been seriously debating going with a FP Black instead of upgrading to the BBK-XL for the reasons stated above.

dbsears Apr 30, 2010 11:02 AM

Should I buy a Civic or should I buy a Prius??? So tough...I mean one has so much torque it runs away on the highways and the other has massive top end from VTAK....decisions decisions :crap:

BLKCarbonEVO Apr 30, 2010 11:12 AM

:lol: what is wrong with all of us WA guys... Must be coming out of hibernation sine the sun is now starting to shine :D

Mikey

dbsears Apr 30, 2010 11:48 AM

I think that be it :lol:

JohnBradley Apr 30, 2010 01:23 PM

I am really thinking the BBK is done right at 500whp for most people. That was 33psi on E85 with all the mods without the Magnus. I really am not sure that it would help since the car is running out of air at that level.

I know its been pointed out but the BBK is a turbo meant for a completely different application. Pumpgas and track use. The same car made 450 on pump at 29psi so it shows that its meant for that power level or close.

To be fair we have saw 500/427 on that combo (E85) and a pump meth (small M5 jet) Black made 514/406 at less boost/timing of course. I wouldnt say that the Red or Black necessarily make less torque than the BBK, in fact I think that part is comparable relative to tuner and tune. One only needs to look at JohnnyTSi's 2.4 Black to see what is possible with off the shelf parts on a stock head, and there is actually more left in his after the 2.5" testpipe finagle was discovered.

CO_VR4 May 1, 2010 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by dambikeracer (Post 8254752)
Not building the motor = BBK Full, up to 500 WHP with the right setup. The BBk has a lot better TQ then the Red

I question your data.

My RED, at 5300 feet, puts out 462 TQ max and has a several thousand RPM powerband above 350 TQ.

leonevox May 1, 2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by mattz09 (Post 8252112)

if u gonna stick with pump gas, i would not do this two turbo. For your mods and stock 9 turbo, these 2 two wont gain much over ur 9 turbo with pump gas. These two turbo only shine above 30psi. I would recommend u spend a lil more money buying a good turbo kit with 30r, 35r, 6262 or something . Better gain with pump gas.