EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Attention All Aluminum Rod Engine Owners.... (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/499556-attention-all-aluminum-rod-engine-owners.html)

MagicManRed Jun 22, 2010 02:25 PM

Attention All Aluminum Rod Engine Owners....

For all of you with aluminum rods in your motor... I'd like to start a some sort of history thread if you will. I believe in time, this can show reliability, and important valuable data that will be priceless for Evo's in the future.

Basically, the information I'd like is: (Feel free to Copy/Paste and then put the answer under each bullet point)

• When was the motor built?
• What rod bearings did you go with?
• What rods did you go with?
• What crank shaft did you put them on?
• What compression ratio did you choose?
• What displacement are you running?
• How many miles of non-boost breaking-in did you do before spirited driving?
• What motor oil are you using? Why?
• Who built the motor/what shop?
• What are you using your vehicle for?
• How many miles are on your vehicle since the break-in?
• What fuel/boost level are you set on?
• If your motor blew (whether it's a head-gasket, piston, cylinder, rod, spun bearing, valve, etc...) state how many miles after the build/break-in that it occurred and what you were doing during the tragedy.

Feel free to give your opinion/feedback/experience(s) with aluminum rods in motor builds for different applications.

Thanks in advance.

POSTS #'s POSTED WITH THE ABOVE INFORMATION:

Post 2
Post 8
Post 10

MagicManRed Jun 22, 2010 02:28 PM

June 2010

acl

long rod aluminum grp 156mm

• What crankshaft did you put them on?
33lbs manley billet forged shotpeened cross drilled nitrided 100mm stroker crank

10.5:1

• What motor oil are you using? Why?
amsoil dominator 10w30. because its the best lol

Mark @ turbotrix racing

daily driving/track-days/and minimal drag/shopping/groceries/heightening my testosterone levels/long drives by the beach/occasional car meets/etc...

93 octane. 26-28psi on high. 15-20psi on low. Stock ECU

• If your motor blew (whether it's a head-gasket, piston, cylinder, rod, spun bearing, valve, etc...) state how many miles after the build/break-in that it occurred and what you were doing during the tragedy.
Nothing yet.

BLKCarbonEVO Jun 22, 2010 05:22 PM

^ You guys didn't have any clearance problems with the 100mm stroke???

Mikey

MagicManRed Jun 22, 2010 05:53 PM

naw, had to do some block grinding or something, but other than that it worked out. 2.4 aluminum-long-rod 10.5:1 build with a bad-ass manley forged billet crank. How long have you had your 2.4 build? what kind of rods in yours?

BLKCarbonEVO Jun 22, 2010 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MagicManRed (Post 8428636)
naw, had to do some block grinding or something, but other than that it worked out. 2.4 aluminum-long-rod 10:1 build with a bad-ass manley forged billet crank. How long have you had your 2.4 build? what kind of rods in yours?

My motor is new... It is a Long Rod 2.4L with steel 156mm GSC I beams. I was highly advised to not go aluminum rods with my 100mm stroke but every build has there own way of doing motors I guess... Here is the link to my build thread for you to look at. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tor-build.html

Mikey

chuntington101 Jun 23, 2010 04:57 AM

i allways thoguht there was a problem running ally rods for street use? is this no longer the case?

MagicManRed Jun 23, 2010 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by chuntington101 (Post 8429675)
i allways thoguht there was a problem running ally rods for street use? is this no longer the case?

Call me a ginny pig, call me a trend setter... but my engine builder and I have reasons to believe otherwise. :)
I have faith in my build. It makes sense for my purpose, you can't believe everything you read without taking it with a grain of salt. ;)
If it doesn't work out, I can at least confidently say I tried my best to make it work, and the future :mitsu:Evo owners can use my experience as an important piece of data. :spin:

Time will tell the tale :dunno:

-MR

DynoDude55 Jun 23, 2010 07:33 AM

Two of my personal engines have Aluminum rods in them. One of the is a Daily Driver and the other is a race engine. Funny that you posted this, I am getting ready to build another one with a Winberg 100mm & GRP Rods in the next few weeks.

July09 / April10
Calico coated ACL's in both
GRP Solid beam 150mm
10:1.1 in both
2.0 in both using Winberg Crankshafts
500 on the DD and maybe 5 miles on the race engine
Me-Carz Performance
Daily Driving & stoplight warrior / other engine is full racing at the track
3500 & 10 passes at the track / 40 miles & 16 passes at the track
V/P import 26psi / E85 25psi
Both still running strong & healthy

What Turbo are you planning to use? I would be nervous to rev that long rod engine past 8000RPMs unless you lightend up the rotating mass with a Winberg Crankshaft :)

MagicManRed Jun 23, 2010 07:43 AM

[QUOTE=DynoDude55;8430002]Two of my personal engines have Aluminum rods in them. One of the is a Daily Driver and the other is a race engine. Funny that you posted this, I am getting ready to build another one with a Winberg 100mm & GRP Rods in the next few weeks./QUOTE]

Awesome data DynoDude! :beer: Keep it coming guys! {thumbup}

JohnBradley Jun 23, 2010 08:42 AM

11:1 compression 2.0L
22k miles
no oil cooler
Dyno guinea pig/Street driven/Drag race (alot)
R&R aluminum rods
ACL bearings
E98
Boost anywhere from 31-41 depending on traction
675-770whp
50 mile break in

Paul Walkin Jun 23, 2010 08:58 AM

Why no oil cooler?

MagicManRed Jun 23, 2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by DynoDude55 (Post 8430002)
What Turbo are you planning to use? I would be nervous to rev that long rod engine past 8000RPMs unless you lightend up the rotating mass with a Winberg Crankshaft :)

I updated the OP with crank info :)

edit: Oh forgot to mention turbo DUH. I actually am not 100% sure yet (about 99.9%). It's going to be ball bearing for response/spool. I've narrowed it down to a T4 Twin Scroll 1.06 housing on either a HTA3582r, or HTA3586r. I've been told a T3 Twin Scroll 1.06 can help spool/response, but have gotten mixed feelings from other people that it would be silly to put a T3 on a 82/86 turbo. I honestly don't mind if I limit myself HP by putting the T3 in exchange for response, however some people were telling me it's bad for the motor/turbo (something about backpressure, and improper flow for the turbine) which from what I understand is mismatched to begin with... but everyone's got their views. I'll probably play it safe and do HTA3582 on T4 TS 1.06. First gotta run my FP Red into an FP Lava... then I do the turbo haha.

Originally Posted by JohnBradley (Post 8430187)
11:1 compression 2.0L
22k miles
no oil cooler
Dyno guinea pig/Street driven/Drag race (alot)
R&R aluminum rods
ACL bearings
E98
Boost anywhere from 31-41 depending on traction
675-770whp
50 mile break in

Interesting combo Aaron! {thumbup}

JohnBradley Jun 23, 2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by DRCperformance (Post 8430234)
Why no oil cooler?

2 reasons.

Proving a point about aluminum rods and oil temps on the streets and weight reduction.

Actually I think Luke took it off to sell to a customer that had a spun rod bearing and needed an oil cooler and didnt want to pay dealer price.

aaron

mrboost05 Jun 23, 2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO (Post 8428653)
My motor is new... It is a Long Rod 2.4L with steel 156mm GSC I beams. I was highly advised to not go aluminum rods with my 100mm stroke but every build has there own way of doing motors I guess... Here is the link to my build thread for you to look at. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tor-build.html

Mikey

whats the reason they advised you not to run them ? great thread i plan to build a alu rod motor over the winter the rod bolts are what everybody makes a fuss about right ?.

JohnBradley Jun 23, 2010 03:41 PM

We have had trouble trying to make them fit. It barely fit when I did 162s with the 94mm and the 156s and 94mm were also pretty close. Just getting the I beams to fit requires clearancing. However if the GRP is smaller in the beam than the R&R they might fit pretty tight as a 150 but still make it.

Its not that we didnt want to, we just couldnt see a way to make it work how we wanted.