EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Need input what is the best head gasket when boosting 2.3 bar? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/503139-need-input-what-best-head-gasket-when-boosting-2-3-bar.html)

Stradale Jul 13, 2010 03:41 AM

Need input what is the best head gasket when boosting 2.3 bar?

Hi

I have problem with head gasket keep wrapped into oval shape or leak at my boost level 2.3 bar and shift at 8000+rpm

I have already tried Power Enterprise, and then Cometic with O-ring, and now SCE copper head gasket. All only can stand a few pull and than leak or wrap.

Already check the block and head all are flat no crack.

Question:
- What head gasket do you guys use with 2.3bar boost level?

Mods:
- 2.2ltr stroke
- GT35r full race twin scroll
- ARP head bolt
- Motec M800
- Fuel VP C-16
- EGT at 650C (located at upper downpipe)
- Other Support mods

Instalation done by profesional workshop that doing drag race, rally (especially EVO), and race car

Thanks for your kindness to share.

eTiLiKo Jul 13, 2010 05:16 AM

EGT in the downpipe is useless.
However, the stock headgasket, PE headgasket, Cosworth hedgasket, HKS, etc. etc., all these gaskets are fine. Try only to use L19 head stud, and torque them carefully.

Stradale Jul 13, 2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by eTiLiKo (Post 8486509)
EGT in the downpipe is useless.
However, the stock headgasket, PE headgasket, Cosworth hedgasket, HKS, etc. etc., all these gaskets are fine. Try only to use L19 head stud, and torque them carefully.

Hi Etiliko .. thanks for the reply

Yes, I am using ARP L-19 with the torque 80lbs.

ANy other input?

n2oiroc Jul 13, 2010 07:12 AM

80 isnt enough. most guys go 100 or higher.

E7R Jul 13, 2010 09:18 AM

Cosworth headgasket.

sktng22 Jul 13, 2010 09:20 AM

arnt the oem ones fine?

javicracer Jul 13, 2010 09:28 AM

OEM gasket will be find. Arp specs on l19 h11 are 100 ft lbs. IF youre running 2.3 psi boost ill torque them to 110 lb ft or maybe 115.

TTP Engineering Jul 13, 2010 09:34 AM

Sounds like your tune may be exceeding MBT and you are popping headgaskets either from detonation or pushing the ignition timing too far.

We have used OEM and Cosworth headgaskets to 3.52bar.

Stradale Jul 13, 2010 08:56 PM

Thank you for all the input ... I'll give more torque at ARP head stud than.

To TTP, there is no detonation (I use det can) and there were no puff smoke came out from the exhaust when I did many pulls on the Dyno. But i'll check on the timing side. Thank you for your input TTP!

eTiLiKo Jul 14, 2010 04:41 AM

Make sure also that the block and head surface is the smoothest possible.

cij911 Jul 14, 2010 05:00 AM

Factory gasket has been shown to be more than adequate at boost levels greater than yours...also some of the gaskets you have tried / are using have been shown to be quite 'bad'...

Ted B Jul 14, 2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stradale (Post 8489309)
Thank you for all the input ... I'll give more torque at ARP head stud than.

I do not recommend doing that. All it does is increase stress to the stud. ARP specifies those torque settings for good reason, and ARP knows more about those torque settings than anyone here. The head gasket and torque settings are not your problem. Be thankful you are blowing gaskets and not something else. Even an APR2000 stud will hold the power if everything else is correct. Your problem is probably tuning related.

Originally Posted by Stradale (Post 8489309)
To TTP, there is no detonation (I use det can) and there were no puff smoke came out from the exhaust ...

You may not hear detonation if you pass MBT with C16. Det cans will be useless if that is the case.

igo4bmx Jul 14, 2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ted B (Post 8489984)
I do not recommend doing that. All it does is increase stress to the stud. ARP specifies those torque settings for good reason, and ARP knows more about those torque settings than anyone here. The head gasket and torque settings are not your problem. Be thankful you are blowing gaskets and not something else. Even an APR2000 stud will hold the power if everything else is correct. Your problem is probably tuning related.

You may not hear detonation if you pass MBT with C16. Det cans will be useless if that is the case.

this is correct.
overtorquing and overstretching studs are not reccomended.

Stradale Jul 14, 2010 10:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

I just double check with ARP recommended torque is 80 Ft LBS, not 100 ft lbs and there is contradicted opinions on the torque. So I am confuse about adding more torque to the ARP Stud so I will put it on hold. Please more input about this.

I will try to lower the timing than.

@ Ted .. I am using Tuner Pro (basically it is microphone put on the block area and connected to the amplifier and listen it using headphone) and it will not be usefull for listening knock when using C-16. Any suggestion how to detect knock on C-16 fuel?

Here I have attached the SCE Copper O-ring Head Gasket that expanded and became oval .. just to share here.

Thanks for all the input ... more inputs are always welcome.

n2oiroc Jul 14, 2010 10:13 AM

nobody runs them at 80 lb/ft except you and you are having non-stop problems. its time to try something different. torque them to 100 lb/ft. a lot of reputable shops go much higher than that.