EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Supertech Vs. Ferrea. Either better than the other? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/532025-supertech-vs-ferrea-either-better-than-other.html)

CtSilver03Evo Dec 31, 2010 11:54 AM

Supertech Vs. Ferrea. Either better than the other?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about putting a bigger turbo setup on my Evo. I'm currecntly already running Cosworth 272/272 cams, and since I will end up needing to rev my car out a little higher, I want to get springs/retainers.

Does anyone have any advise about whether I should get Supertech or Ferrea dual spring, retainers? Are they both of equal quality... I seem to hear a lot of good things about both, with nothing bad. Thanks.

skyway69 Jan 1, 2011 12:11 PM

I guess supertech is a better choice as i see most of us are running with supertech spring & retainers:)

CtSilver03Evo Jan 4, 2011 08:13 PM

Anyone else have an opinion on this? Thanks.

1NastyMR Jan 4, 2011 08:18 PM

get super techs everyone uses them

Teal2nnr Jan 4, 2011 08:53 PM

I had the same problem. I ended up getting supertechs beacause i didn't see the point in paying the premium for the Ferrias.

n2oiroc Jan 5, 2011 03:44 AM

I think ferrea is better quality. Not many things that are cheaper are better.

meld Jan 5, 2011 07:38 AM

I used Ferrea's in my build.

Stock size valves
Valve guides
Valve seals
Valve locks
Kiggly Springs seats/retainers

btleier Jan 5, 2011 08:20 AM

I've used ferrea in several builds, and have always have good results, but also have buddies who have used supertech. Nothing bad to say about either.

meld Jan 5, 2011 08:24 AM

Agreed, both are used by respectable engine builders, so I say you can't go wrong with either.

Chris@nolimitmotors Jan 5, 2011 10:03 AM

We have used both never had a issue with either. We use the supertech way more though. Shoot me a pm if you need a price on the supertech's :D

CharlieGsanD Jan 5, 2011 10:23 PM

both are good quality parts. but if your splitting hairs...

Ferrea has slight edge in quality, but with that comes higher prices, some would argue that the quality difference is negligible & not worth the cost increase.
as far as i know supertech is the only one offering .5 over valves & ferrea the only ones offering sodium filled/hollow valves

evoballer Apr 22, 2012 07:47 PM

I have felt both springs in my hands and the Ferrea springs weight dramaticly less than the supertechs.dont get me wrong there both AMAZING springs but the supertech are alot heavier and there a lot nosier valvetrain when the engine is running. I'm going to be installing the Ferrea springs on my car.{thumbup}

projektevo9 Apr 23, 2012 03:16 PM

Personally I went with the GSC beehives but its all up to you.