EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Car won't go into gear. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/545791-car-wont-go-into-gear.html)

playmajohn Mar 19, 2011 10:26 AM

Car won't go into gear.

I floored it in 2nd gear and tried to shift into 3rd at redline but it just would not go.
Pulled over, turned the car off then back on and it would not go into any gear and the pedal felt soggy and pulsating. Turned the car off again, put it in 2nd, and drove the car home. Got into my driveway and it worked like normal so I put it into 1st gear. Once I took it out of 1st gear in my driveway, problem started again and would not go into any gear.

I replaced the slave cylinder and bled it out. No luck.

My question is: Should I try to replace the Master cylinder first before I drop the whole transmission out of the car?

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so what was the problem?

Thanks,

John

suby2evo Mar 19, 2011 12:55 PM

what kind of clutch do you have? how many miles? and does it go into gear when the car is off?

playmajohn Mar 19, 2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by suby2evo (Post 9170906)
what kind of clutch do you have? how many miles? and does it go into gear when the car is off?

ACT XD Clutch ~10,000 miles on clutch replaced 1 year ago. yes it goes into gear when it is off.

I would like to add I have not lost or leaked any brake fluid.

Jrah2987 Mar 19, 2011 01:31 PM

I would bleed the clutch lines and maybe even flush the fluids before dropping the tranny. You want to do every little thing you can before you go down that road.

Good luck.

JDMJNKY Mar 19, 2011 02:42 PM

2 things may be wrong here, just by your description your trans/clutch could be just as simple as re-aligning the clutch, could not, thats is the pulsating. the spongy feeling can be bad lines, slave, release levers etc. Either way dropping the trans is the only way of sure diagnosis.

MI-4 EVO Apr 19, 2011 11:01 AM

I ran into this problem today (sounds like). Wouldn't go into any gear.

Does the car try to move when you try to put it into gear? Mine would try to move when I would try to put it into gear. No grinding or studdering or anything like that (other than low RPM). Checking what I can. No external problems noted so far, no leaks or anything like that. Don't have the tool to remove the fill plug on the transmission to check the fluid level there. I'm hopeing it's just a clutch pedal adjustment.

I'll let you know what I find out. Suggestions on what to try are continually appreicated folks.

MI-4 EVO Apr 19, 2011 06:59 PM

Spent all day running through the Helms manual and checking everything I could out without disassembling the clutch and transmission. Didn't find anything out of spec or any leaks or anything that would lead me to believe there is a problem. After getting the car to go into gear with the engine off I was able to drive it around the neighborhood and to the store. Shifts are smooth, no grinding, no odd noises, nothing to indicate anything is wrong with the transmission or clutch. Going to replace the fluids (about that time anyway) and see what happens from here I guess.

yellowevo82 Apr 19, 2011 07:10 PM

hmm im baffled.. let us know..

Gordian79 Apr 19, 2011 07:23 PM

Drop tranny its the TOB clip its either off or barely on.you can look through inspection hole with a flashlight.

playmajohn Jul 25, 2011 06:43 PM

Finally got my car back after a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, 2 bottles of brake fluid, speed bleeder, $600 of shop labor to pull the transmission, and new clutch, pressure plate, and TOB.

Turns out a spring popped out of my ACT clutch.

ILoveAWD Aug 4, 2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by playmajohn (Post 9486400)
Finally got my car back after a new master cylinder, slave cylinder, 2 bottles of brake fluid, speed bleeder, $600 of shop labor to pull the transmission, and new clutch, pressure plate, and TOB.

Turns out a spring popped out of my ACT clutch.

damn that sux dude at least you got it running now

fivewing77 Aug 18, 2011 06:15 AM

Sorry about your luck. An ACT I had in a car a few years ago gave me the same problems. I received a replacement free of charge! I would have ate the labor though if not for doing it myself. The replacement worked flawlessly for my next 70,000 miles. The current owner is still driving on it.

miketurbo06 Aug 22, 2011 10:29 AM

Hello I came across that same problem like 2 months ago.. I was crusing in NJ at normal speed and i get a red light, so normally everyone would put the car on neutrol. When the light turn green my car wouldn't go into any gears at all!!! anyways after a few things i did, the car doesn't take 5th gear at all On or off..

Vivid Racing Aug 22, 2011 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by miketurbo06 (Post 9550060)
Hello I came across that same problem like 2 months ago.. I was crusing in NJ at normal speed and i get a red light, so normally everyone would put the car on neutrol. When the light turn green my car wouldn't go into any gears at all!!! anyways after a few things i did, the car doesn't take 5th gear at all On or off..

You're probably better off starting your own thread. Your problem is completely different.

superslowEvo04 Sep 2, 2011 02:56 PM

i dont think they have slave cyl, but could it be related to that?