EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Should I put this back on or just buy a new one (another intake/bov thread lol) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/549572-should-i-put-back-just-buy-new-one-another-intake-bov-thread-lol.html)

taylorgang Apr 8, 2011 10:02 AM

Should I put this back on or just buy a new one (another intake/bov thread lol)

3 Attachment(s)
So I finally picked up the 8 MR yesterday... 2 longggg weeks of waiting.. definitely paid off.

Apparently the previous owner really liked HKS... it had an HKS hi-power exhaust, HKS filter (AEM intake), and HKS BOV. The dealership removed the intake+bov and put the oem intake back on.

They gave me the parts... should I put them back on? Someone said the filter looked dirty... but I think its supposed to be that color. Also I know BOVs don't go well with our cars but I know the stock 8 bov is efficient to 13 psi. If I already have a BOV I might as well put it on right? I know it's a newb question but any input is appreciated.

sho669 Apr 8, 2011 10:09 AM

Keep the AEM pipe if it has the CARB sticker on it.

Take the other two and throw them as far away from your car as you can. :)

n2oiroc Apr 8, 2011 10:10 AM

mine came with that same blow off valve. toss it in the trash! it sounds like a crow being slowly fed into a blender full of plastic forks.

edit: with a screaming baby pushing the buttons.

SpongebobEvo Apr 8, 2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sho669 (Post 9224940)
Take the other two and throw them as far away from your car as you can. :)

lmao....

what he said

taylorgang Apr 8, 2011 10:13 AM

hahaha thanks for the replies... doesn't look like the intake has a carb sticker on it... gonna put the car up on jacks today and take pics of the exhaust setup to see what else it has. It passed smog so I don't think it has a downpipe or anything on it. Look's like I'll pretty much be starting from scratch... still open to suggestions though if anyone has any more!

APEXR Apr 8, 2011 10:13 AM

It's hard to tell in the picture of the filter but you should be able to go to HKS. com for comparison. For the BOV? Are you turning up the boost? If no=then no. If yes=then yes, but you should really recirc. it.

taylorgang Apr 8, 2011 10:19 AM

I'm planning on turning up the boost soon... once I get a little more money I'll get a tactrix cable, wideband o2 sensor, etc and get a tune then over summer I'll do a couple more bolt ons and maybe get a dual map tune for e85... at least that's the plan haha.

Anyone know a good priced for a used tactrix cable? Found this on craigslist...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2311997716.html

awdordie Apr 8, 2011 05:38 PM

I donno y everyone knocks on hks, I have ran an hks suction pipe and bov since I got the car with no problems even when unrecirculating the bov. It does want to act up in the winter but only before its warmed up.

GearedUp Apr 8, 2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by awdordie (Post 9226052)
I donno y everyone knocks on hks, I have ran an hks suction pipe and bov since I got the car with no problems even when unrecirculating the bov. It does want to act up in the winter but only before its warmed up.

Mostly because vented they sound horrible. I have one on a steath I've had for 4 years and I hate it haha.

dastallion951 Apr 9, 2011 10:05 AM

honestly like they said ditch the hks bov, or sell it to some schmuck no pun intended..haha....but honestly if your gonna get tuned unless you know what your doin id hate to see ya post later on something went amiss now your in for a new engine save yourself the headache get it pro tuned. Theres a good shop down in sd area called Reese Tuning. Go check them out they know what there doin and can put you on the right track to make good safe power...power ull enjoy for years....ive known a few ppl get tuned by them.

taylorgang Apr 9, 2011 12:53 PM

What if I get a recirculating kit for the BOV and get it tuned right after?

I just don't want to spend the extra money for another BOV if I already have one. If I found a cheap IX metal valve I'd get it, I just want to know if I'll encounter any problems with the stock 8 MR valve if I up the boost when I get it tuned

BEISSEN Apr 9, 2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by taylorgang (Post 9227606)
What if I get a recirculating kit for the BOV and get it tuned right after?

I just don't want to spend the extra money for another BOV if I already have one. If I found a cheap IX metal valve I'd get it, I just want to know if I'll encounter any problems with the stock 8 MR valve if I up the boost when I get it tuned

The stock VIII MR DV if the metal one is good for over 20psi not 13 it starts to leak sometimes at about 24-25psi. The intake filter is dirty and looks rough STM sells replament filters for like 20 bucks or something. Ditch the AEM Intake is horriable fitting look at a differant one and a good one for cheap is the JM Fab Intake pipe. I had both the 3" and now a custom 4" SD Pipe made by them. Im going to send you a PM as well.

dastallion951 Apr 10, 2011 08:46 AM

if u recirculate the hks it wont be soo bad, problem is with the style of bov, has an issue with driveability sometimes on maf cars like ours, so if it starts running finnicky, then try swappin the bov down the road and see if that takes care of it. but good luck