EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   can u supercharge an evo VIII (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/554822-can-u-supercharge-evo-viii.html)

newbie18 May 8, 2011 12:39 PM

can u supercharge an evo VIII

i am looking at buying an evo VIII and installing a supercharger. i see lots of info on turbos but nothing on superchargers. do they not work as well or something and has anyone tried supercharging an evo and can tell me what they thought

autotechnica May 8, 2011 12:42 PM

Hmmm, you could do it but the turbo set up has been done to death and is well understood. Unless your just trying to do something different I don't see the point of supercharging it.

eliminator 429 May 8, 2011 12:43 PM

Troll?

Evo VIII 4G63 May 8, 2011 12:46 PM

Why supercharge something that comes turbocharged from the factory????

Joshs EVO May 8, 2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Evo VIII 4G63y (Post 9302917)
Why supercharge something that comes turbocharged from the factory????

Ever heard of spool? With a surcharger there is no spooling. No lag. instant power. Yes you can and yes it has been done already and last time I read that a shop in the UK was adding a small roots SC near the back of the motor and towards the bottom.

Craig King May 8, 2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO (Post 9303024)
With a surcharger there is no spooling. No lag. instant power.

Please do not continue to spread your misinformation about superchargers.

Centrifugal supercharger setups can experience lag from spooling.

BURNALL_4 May 8, 2011 02:21 PM

you need to NOT buy anything evo related...in fact dont even buy a mitsu. you know what...get a bike....the peddle kind.

your misinformed and i promise you dont have enough money to make a supercharger work on and evo. but i can say that when your project goes in the dumper ill gladly buy it for next to nothing. besides HP per pound of boost is a turbo all the way.

awesome first post. put your flame suit on!!!

wht95scort May 8, 2011 02:23 PM

Not worth the time or effort. You will never get the S/C to make anywhere near the boost a turbo setup would make and power wise. Turbo Boost is free H/P...S/C need HP to make HP.

4G63kevin May 8, 2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by burnall_4 (Post 9303065)
you need to not buy anything evo related...in fact dont even buy a mitsu. You know what...get a bike....the peddle kind.

Your misinformed and i promise you dont have enough money to make a supercharger work on and evo. But i can say that when your project goes in the dumper ill gladly buy it for next to nothing. Besides hp per pound of boost is a turbo all the way.

Awesome first post. Put your flame suit on!!!

+1

tscompusa2 May 8, 2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO (Post 9303024)
Ever heard of spool? With a surcharger there is no spooling. No lag. instant power. Yes you can and yes it has been done already and last time I read that a shop in the UK was adding a small roots SC near the back of the motor and towards the bottom.

ever heard of a restriction? a belt driven pulley takes power away from the engine.

Dynotech Tuning May 8, 2011 03:15 PM

Don't do it!

Boostfiend May 8, 2011 03:20 PM

Eh, just buy an S2000 or a Mustang then supercharge one of those. I met a guy doing 412whp on a comptech supercharged S2000 and it weighs 500 lbs less than an evo.

TheMadScientist May 8, 2011 03:20 PM

yes

[I.R.A.]_FBi May 8, 2011 03:44 PM

http://smiliesftw.com/x/inout.gif

jtbell86 May 8, 2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by newbie18 (Post 9302901)
i am looking at buying an evo VIII and installing a supercharger. i see lots of info on turbos but nothing on superchargers. do they not work as well or something and has anyone tried supercharging an evo and can tell me what they thought

Seems as though you don't know a whole lot about these cars, which is fine. Your asking questions which isn't bad either. Be prepaired to catch some flack for this post, but take it in stride, its just the way people are on this forum.

For an answer, it just doesn't make much sense and would cost a ton to make comparable power. It comes from the factory turbo charged for a reason. It proven, reliable power. Also is you buy a IX you get a stronger turbo that can make a great deal of power on the stock turbo. Hope this helps. :beer: