EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Car temperature rising at higher speed (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/578986-car-temperature-rising-higher-speed.html)

donmeca2020 Oct 12, 2011 07:50 PM

Car temperature rising at higher speed

while going to work today, i was on the turnpike just going northbound, i was in 5th gear and as my speed rose to above 85 or so lol yea i know i shouldnt have been going that fast.

anyways the temperature gauge in the dash went from normal to almost hot.... as i eased off the gas and started slowing down, the temperature also went down. mind all of you this is the first time my car has EVER done this. the car is an 05 gsr with 45,700 miles. so my question to all of you is WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH MY CAR? should i check the radiator fluid level? or could this be a sensor issue ? thanks for any help {thumbup}

barneyb Oct 13, 2011 11:55 AM

Yeah, it could be low coolant, it could be a bad thermostat, it could be a bad sensor. It also could be a blown head gasket.

rcheung Oct 13, 2011 12:01 PM

Check radiator first. If the car overheated you should change the thermostat too.

donmeca2020 Oct 13, 2011 01:24 PM

well so far the car is good, it just keeps on almost going to hot, but as i ease off the gas say when im the highway it will start to just go down slowly near the normal temp area. while im driving in say stop and go traffic the car is acting perfectly fine.

kimma Oct 13, 2011 02:21 PM

my sti did that and at higher speeds the temp went up....just cruising aroung little to no boost the temps were fine...but the min i stepped on it..air got in the system overflow tank was bubling and the end result was a blown head gasket

9SecSLC Oct 13, 2011 08:15 PM

Your headgasket needs to be replaced, I 'd replace it before it blows out all the way.

turbodoug Oct 13, 2011 08:26 PM

Check your coolant level

chrisw Oct 13, 2011 08:29 PM

and check for contaminated coolant and or oil.

donmeca2020 Oct 14, 2011 07:30 AM

i think i'll check the coolant levels first, i doubt the head gasket could have blown out. i drive the car occasionally, and i definetly dont dog it. i'll post when i see how the coolant levels are

donmeca2020 Oct 14, 2011 09:23 AM

the coolant tank was LOW, so im going to add some in and give her a spin in a little bit. i hope thats the only problem.

turbodoug Oct 14, 2011 09:42 AM

Add it directly to the radiator.

donmeca2020 Oct 14, 2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by turbodoug (Post 9672508)
Add it directly to the radiator.

the radiator looked to be good. the coolant tank was at the low point on the tank. so i just bought some coolant and will add it in a little bit

rcheung Oct 14, 2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by donmeca2020 (Post 9672625)
the radiator looked to be good. the coolant tank was at the low point on the tank. so i just bought some coolant and will add it in a little bit

If the radiator was full then the tank is not the issue. Hopefully not a headgasket but its leaning toward that.

donmeca2020 Oct 14, 2011 01:38 PM

we shall see ....

donmeca2020 Oct 14, 2011 03:07 PM

i filled up the coolant tank, afterwords took the evo for a spin around the neighborhood. once again at regular speeds seemed perfectly fine. now when i went on to a main street and gunned it it was ok , and i tried once again the temperature slightly went up. im curious as to should i check out the thermostate or possibly a sensor. if not then i'll be making my way to AWD motorsports monday morning and having them check it out..... ****ing sucks i hate having my car not functioning correctly