EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Evo 8 oil squirters issue (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/598806-evo-8-oil-squirters-issue.html)

evoboy2006 Feb 18, 2012 01:45 PM

Evo 8 oil squirters issue

I an building my long rod 2.0 with custom piston 10:1 compression and noticed oil squirters were hiting the pistons I can bend them out of the way but it's still close considering vibration does any one have input on what to do with them thank this is going to be high hp build

evoboy2006 Feb 18, 2012 08:36 PM

Bump

My03evo Feb 18, 2012 10:43 PM

Some take them out which I wouldn't do but I've heard some space it down lower with a washer between the squirter and block. I believe they use those copper crush washers right? so they can seal the oil pressure so don't try using normal washers.

Aby@MIL.SPEC Feb 19, 2012 06:03 AM

just notch the bottom of the pistons, remove all stress marks from cutting tool, polish area, rebalance pistons. give yourself at least 1.5mm clearance.

gr8stevo Feb 19, 2012 06:34 AM

Do not touch the piston. Especially if it’s a strutted design such as a Wiseco HD piston. I have ran into the problem with the HD’s and a large aluminum rod such as the R&R’s. In this case just remove them assuming that with that type of combo its already a race motor. If it’s a steel rod with room just bend them/shim and keep a min of .060 clearence between all moving parts.

Btw- don’t be scared ditching them. With modern piston and a non dry sump motor there is more then enough oil from slosh etc. I have ran over 1000whp for years with no sign of wrist pin wear etc.

My03evo Feb 19, 2012 12:09 PM

I thought the squirters were to cool the piston? Or keep things cooler in general

evoboy2006 Feb 19, 2012 04:11 PM

Do they make a block off kid for the squirters?

Aby@MIL.SPEC Feb 19, 2012 05:30 PM

if you bend the squirter, you may as well remove them. as you dont know if the squirter will be pointed where you need it. besides, you have no idea if the squirter becomes fractured & then find its way into the bottom of the sump, after being hammered by the rotating assembly.

loads of pistons have goofy notches for squirters.

unless you have the wrong piston pin height pistons for the rods used, you shouldnt have to remove much material.

are you certain you have the correct piston spec for your set-up?

rico91stang Feb 19, 2012 05:44 PM

Ditch the squirters. They are not necessary with a quality piston.

evoboy2006 Feb 20, 2012 08:13 AM

Yes I have 1.130 pin hight piston with 10.1 compression

Empty Pockets Feb 26, 2012 07:12 AM

I've just ran into this problem aswell, viii block, 94mm billet crank, 153mm R&R I-beams, 85.5mm CP X-forged pistons..... I've been told to use evo 4 (iv) oil squirters, i'm guessing they're smaller, i've just dropped a set off at my builders, but haven't seen the viii one's to compare to ?

I bought mine from RossSport in the Uk.

Hope that helps.

SaulHudson Feb 26, 2012 07:25 AM

I have used IV squirters if someone wants to try them out....

KX250Fmotoracer Feb 26, 2012 12:55 PM

I just built a iv stroker. The squirters still hit the piston. I shimmed them with washers.

evoboy2006 Feb 26, 2012 01:21 PM

Yeah I bent them put I'm not happy with that . Its still close but don't hit still confused... Not sure if I should block them.. If show what should I block them with.

My03evo Feb 27, 2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by evoboy2006 (Post 9995125)
Yeah I bent them put I'm not happy with that . Its still close but don't hit still confused... Not sure if I should block them.. If show what should I block them with.

I believe the oil goes through the bolt like a brake line bolt goes in a caliper so pretty sure you can just put a normal bolt in and it should stop the oil flow, and use some kind of sealer of course but someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm curious.