EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Ac Compressor Failure help! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/599598-ac-compressor-failure-help.html)

most wanted Feb 23, 2012 03:40 AM

Ac Compressor Failure help!

i have a problem and was hoping you all can shed some light on the situation and help me with this here’s. i’ve gone through 2 AC compressors in less than 15k miles on my evo. First of all i have bought new ones each time from the dealer, not refurbished, and every time i replaced it i had it professionally vacuumed out and filled to the correct pressure by a certified reputable shop. I had the lines cleaned and have done everything correctly. The ac compressor is only failing under full throttle runs at high RPMS. The pulley locks up and breaks the accessory belt. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Oh and btw i live in the Caribbean so i NEED AC!......... is the some upgraded pulley or something that would solve this problem

Davo Feb 23, 2012 05:55 AM

A dealer told me that the regular lancer was the same but the bearing in the pulley was different and made to handle the evos power, not sure of this explanation. Maybe you got a normal lancer compressor.

I bought an ebay unit but the issue with my old one was bad bearing wobbling pulley and hitting coil and burning it in a spot.
I have since found a new pulley and have located a shop that could rewind the coil so I have my old compressor ready to go when this ebay unit fails.

SO basically, once the compressor is good, you can fix the other parts. You can even get new pulleys and coils from a dealer so as no to have to pay the full cost of an entire compressor.

THUB Feb 23, 2012 06:24 AM

If you're revving past the normal redline, its entirely possible that you're over speeding the compressor and blowing it up. A lot of gmt cars disengage the ac clutch at wot to prevent that from happening. Maybe one of the ecuflash guys can chime in with whether its possible to do something similar?

most wanted Feb 23, 2012 06:55 AM

it ac was off

fugiwara Aug 29, 2016 11:08 PM

I am having the same problem anyone figured out why?

fugiwara Aug 30, 2016 01:26 PM

ttt

fugiwara Sep 4, 2016 11:24 PM

bump

agthomps Sep 5, 2016 10:15 AM

I am also have the same problem any fixes yet ?

barneyb Sep 5, 2016 03:03 PM

If the pulley locks up you haven't lost a compressor, you've lost a bearing. The pulley with bearing is held on by a circle clip. The quick and easy but expensive fix is to throw on a clutch kit.

I don't know but have to wonder if maybe the bearing is replaceable. Anyway, it sounds like Mitsu has sourced some bad bearings.

fugiwara Sep 8, 2016 10:12 AM

I pmed the thread starter and he is never had problem again since he installed a fluidampr

Fast_Freddie Sep 9, 2016 05:07 AM

I replaced the bearing and clutch assembly ($250) after the pulley had cracked around the center cartridge... 3 months after installing all of that, the main bearing in the compressor took a crap and had tons of slop and locked up...