EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Installed new clutch.. Car won't go into gear, help! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/608465-installed-new-clutch-car-wont-go-into-gear-help.html)

IntegxX Apr 22, 2012 12:18 PM

Installed new clutch.. Car won't go into gear, help!

I recently installed a new exedy stage 1 clutch. The install went fine but when I first drove the car, gears were alittle tough to get into. I adjusted the clutch pedal and right after, the shifts were smooth and everything drove fine. A few minutes later the gears were starting to stick and now the car won't go into any gear, especially reverse. When the car is off, it goes into gears fine... So the only I got to move it was by shifting into gear with the car off then starting it while in 1st/reverse. Any help on what the problem can be? Also, I bled the clutch line after the install and the shifter cables seem fine.

190hpkilla Apr 22, 2012 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by IntegxX (Post 10117115)
I recently installed a new exedy stage 1 clutch. The install went fine but when I first drove the car, gears were alittle tough to get into. I adjusted the clutch pedal and right after, the shifts were smooth and everything drove fine. A few minutes later the gears were starting to stick and now the car won't go into any gear, especially reverse. When the car is off, it goes into gears fine... So the only I got to move it was by shifting into gear with the car off then starting it while in 1st/reverse. Any help on what the problem can be? Also, I bled the clutch line after the install and the shifter cables seem fine.

you probably damaged the round collar which locks the TOB, so now its sticking because its partially not engaged. I had that happen to me. You need to look carefully and see.

Try to disengage the clutch fork and then inspect with a flash light, the collar. Its hard as the whole is so small to see through.

Then re engage the clutch fork. Maybe it didn't lock all the way in.

Spoolin4g63 Apr 22, 2012 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 190hpkilla (Post 10117130)

Try to disengage the clutch fork and then inspect with a flash light, the collar. Its hard as the whole is so small to see through.

Then re engage the clutch fork. Maybe it didn't lock all the way in.

this happen me when we where putting my buddy's clutch in. hopefully your wavy clip didn't pop out, or else your gonna have to remove the trans again..

xXANCHORMONXx Apr 22, 2012 12:59 PM

^x2

IntegxX Apr 23, 2012 06:31 PM

Recently bled the clutch line again and surprisingly the car worked fine. Then after a couple minutes of driving the same problem occurred. Could the hydrolic pump that engages the clutch be going out? Maybe a leak in the clutch line?

190hpkilla Apr 25, 2012 06:54 PM

V

Originally Posted by IntegxX (Post 10120119)
Recently bled the clutch line again and surprisingly the car worked fine. Then after a couple minutes of driving the same problem occurred. Could the hydrolic pump that engages the clutch be going out? Maybe a leak in the clutch line?

Check for leaks outside and inside under the cowl.

akeric Apr 25, 2012 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by IntegxX (Post 10120119)

there is no pump for the clutch it works the same way your brakes do.

When the car is in gear and running does it still try to move even with the clutch depressed? It sounds like your clutch is not disengaging fully. You might consider bleeding the clutch more thoroughly, there can be alot of air hiding in there and if it was some mechanical with the TOB, bleeding the clutch wouldn't make the issue go away. However if you bleed the clutch and fixed the problem but more air got in the line or moved up to the slave cylinder then it could..... I'd start there.

Basically, check everything you can BEFORE you take the trans out again.

MacMan Apr 26, 2012 11:02 AM

tob or wedge collar FTW!!

evolve_VIII Apr 28, 2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by xxanchormonxx (Post 10117173)
^x2

x3

TonyPajamaz Apr 28, 2012 08:24 PM

Wouldn't hurt to check your slave cylinder too!

IntegxX May 1, 2012 01:41 PM

Thanks for the Advice guys. Found the problem. First, I checked if the wedge collar (wavy clip) was still intact. It was. Second I bleed the clutch line one more time. Turns out the Slave Cylinder wasnt working properly. Replaced the Clutch Slave Cycliner. STILL WASNT Engaging into gear. Turns out, when I adjusted the clutch pedal, I pulled it out to far... So the clutch stroke didnt give it enough pump to engage the Fork. I adjusted the clutch pedal back down and the car worked fine. Siked to finally get the evo back on the road.

jdlewh May 1, 2012 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by IntegxX (Post 10136409)
Thanks for the Advice guys. Found the problem. First, I checked if the wedge collar (wavy clip) was still intact. It was. Second I bleed the clutch line one more time. Turns out the Slave Cylinder wasnt working properly. Replaced the Clutch Slave Cycliner. STILL WASNT Engaging into gear. Turns out, when I adjusted the clutch pedal, I pulled it out to far... So the clutch stroke didnt give it enough pump to engage the Fork. I adjusted the clutch pedal back down and the car worked fine. Siked to finally get the evo back on the road.

Not trying to thread jack ya but does your stage 1 clutch seem to engage and disengage more towards the top of the clutch pedal compared to the stock clutch that engaged and disengaged more towards the middle of the pedal? Really not liking the feel of my Exedy stage 1 after a few thousand miles, I adjusted it down but then I get high RMP lockout 1st to 2nd.

Anyway glad you figured out your issue. :)

TonyPajamaz May 2, 2012 07:21 AM

From my experience, mitsu clutches seem to engage closer to the top then most clutches (stock clutch that is)