EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Tial MV-R External Waste Gate Cooling Idea?? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/613395-tial-mv-r-external-waste-gate-cooling-idea.html)

evoballer May 25, 2012 07:24 PM

Tial MV-R External Waste Gate Cooling Idea??

So I had a idea the other night, since my New Tial MV-R External Waste Gate can be water cooled for efficiency, I want to utilize this Cooling function for hot track days. But I was thinking instead of using the cars water lines to cool the EWG I would hook up my Nitrous's Purge to the EWG. This would be allot cooler than the Radiator fluid and the purged nitrous is just getting wasted normally, so by doing this I would actually be using the purged nitrous to help cool The EWG, ECT. What do you guys think about doing this mod???

n2oiroc May 25, 2012 07:29 PM

sounds like a hassle to have to purge while lapping a track. that and the constantly changing temp of the wastegate. 400* down to -50* back to 400* etc. i dont think it would be a good idea. i would run them dry. if you have an issue, then look into cooling. 99% chance you will be fine.

foxbear2277 May 25, 2012 07:34 PM

I dont run nitrous and never plan to, but I have to admit it sure seems like a good idea and great way to use the waste for a good purpose. Definently interesting indeed! Hopefully someone with actual experiance with nitrous or someone that has done this before can chime in. I havent yet figured out the best way to use the water ports, mine are not used... I would like to use them on track days too... if I can figure out a good set up. Although, if I ran nitrous, id give her a go {thumbup}

foxbear2277 May 25, 2012 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by n2oiroc (Post 10186659)
sounds like a hassle to have to purge while lapping a track. that and the constantly changing temp of the wastegate. 400* down to -50* back to 400* etc. i dont think it would be a good idea. i would run them dry. if you have an issue, then look into cooling. 99% chance you will be fine.

Good point about the temp fluctuations.. hmmm

evoballer May 26, 2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by n2oiroc (Post 10186659)

I thought about the drastic change in temp, but i think Even Just using it in between runs at the track.(1/4 mile) when it is 100+F. outside would be beneficial, i dont think the cooling could hurt at all. The parts being cooled are cast in the Tial WG i believe, so i would be curious if this would have a negative effect on the WG.

211Ratsbud May 26, 2012 06:31 AM

Id stick to water cooling, switch to a closed loop cooling if you have to

thepoint4life23 May 26, 2012 08:16 AM

you Can do c02. not as crazy will still cool it down

M4Lki3r May 28, 2012 05:05 PM

A better idea would be to purge through the intercooler and cool the fins and intake air charge down.

Zbrit00x Dec 10, 2012 09:10 PM

Any progress in to this? I'm looking to make a standard water cooler for it but don't know where to start

n2oiroc Dec 10, 2012 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zbrit00x (Post 10551999)
Any progress in to this? I'm looking to make a standard water cooler for it but don't know where to start

what are you using the car for? if its street or drag, dont bother. time attack or road course, keep looking into it.

Zbrit00x Dec 11, 2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by n2oiroc (Post 10552073)
what are you using the car for? if its street or drag, dont bother. time attack or road course, keep looking into it.

Street.. My current tial mvs burnt up in under 4 months. Still need to pull the valve and see the extent of how bad the diaphragm/ springs are. But it's leaking pretty badly when and pressure enters the system. I will probably just run an existing coolant line through it once its sorted.

n2oiroc Dec 11, 2012 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Zbrit00x (Post 10552647)
Street.. My current tial mvs burnt up in under 4 months. Still need to pull the valve and see the extent of how bad the diaphragm/ springs are. But it's leaking pretty badly when and pressure enters the system. I will probably just run an existing coolant line through it once its sorted.

thats surprising. i would just use the lines that go to the throttle body and take the throttle body out of the loop.

TiALSport Dec 11, 2012 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Zbrit00x (Post 10552647)

you do know they are designed to leak down the valve guide right? or is your leak coming from elsewhere?

boosted91t Dec 11, 2012 10:57 AM

I don't understand why everytone is trying to complicate this. Either run with the ports open or plumb coolant to it, end of story. Hell you can bypass the coolant to your tb and there is your coolant source.