EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Tomei 280 cams (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/619139-tomei-280-cams.html)

rx7 Jul 6, 2012 07:24 PM

Tomei 280 cams

Hey guys, so my tuner installed a pair of Tomei 280 cams on my evo. The car started fine, everything seemed alright. However, i've read that the 280s are supposed to have a very rough idle. Mine idles as smooth as stock!! Im wondering if the cams were set wrongly? Need some advise here :confused:

CrazyLilPunk Jul 7, 2012 07:52 AM

I had similar issues with my 272s. I was told that the tuner could "tune out the lope" which I didnt really believe, but i guess anything is possible.

hungrysr Jul 15, 2012 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyLilPunk (Post 10265762)
I had similar issues with my 272s. I was told that the tuner could "tune out the lope" which I didnt really believe, but i guess anything is possible.

Idle speed and timing at idle can "tune out the lope". Techniques in the idle maps on the tune to keep a more "stock" idle quality.

Originally Posted by rx7 (Post 10265207)
Hey guys, so my tuner installed a pair of Tomei 280 cams on my evo. The car started fine, everything seemed alright. However, i've read that the 280s are supposed to have a very rough idle. Mine idles as smooth as stock!! Im wondering if the cams were set wrongly? Need some advise here :confused:

Tomei 280 cams have a very good, close to stock, idle quality. If you would've gotten say Kelford 280's then yes the idle is really rough. But not so much with the Tomei cam. I have these cams but I havn't put them in my car yet. But I like a "lopey" idle :(

4ukc Jul 15, 2012 07:27 AM

I have tomei 280, my idle is 1k and works very stable a quite. Cams were installed as Tomei advises

doghouse May 5, 2014 06:06 PM

My car starts for the first today with mivec 280 tomei and it idles just like stock cams. Now I am wondering how the 290 would idles

phrequenc May 5, 2014 06:10 PM

i had tomei 270 and they werent even noticable

doghouse May 5, 2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by phrequenc (Post 11199806)
i had tomei 270 and they werent even noticable

yup they are both like idle stock but I saw another car with tomei 280 and it sound like m3 cosworth which I really love.

TommiM May 5, 2014 07:17 PM

on my evo 8 I have Tomei 270 procams, and the idle is lopey for sure, even with it 'tuned down' to get it close as stock as possible. I think part of the reason its not a smooth idle may be due to the balance shaft delete. I did the balance shaft delete same time I did the cams so hard to say how much of it is cams.

I don't mind the lope, but I get quite a few folks asking, "whats wrong with your car, why does it sound like that?" That gets old after a while.

doghouse May 5, 2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM (Post 11199859)
on my evo 8 I have Tomei 270 procams, and the idle is lopey for sure, even with it 'tuned down' to get it close as stock as possible. I think part of the reason its not a smooth idle may be due to the balance shaft delete. I did the balance shaft delete same time I did the cams so hard to say how much of it is cams.

I don't mind the lope, but I get quite a few folks asking, "whats wrong with your car, why does it sound like that?" That gets old after a while.

I have balance shaft delete also and my 280 are smooth like stock. I really wanted to get that crazy idle

jrainwater May 6, 2014 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM (Post 11199859)

You should put a video up of your car @ idle. I'd like to hear it :)

TommiM May 6, 2014 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by jrainwater (Post 11200784)
You should put a video up of your car @ idle. I'd like to hear it :)

The stuff splattered under the exhaust is just moisture from the exhaust. The car had been sitting there for about 2 weeks. I figured this was a good reason to fire it up today anyhow. Enjoy.

doghouse May 7, 2014 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by TommiM (Post 11200988)
evo 8 tomei 270 procam idle - YouTube

The stuff splattered under the exhaust is just moisture from the exhaust. The car had been sitting there for about 2 weeks. I figured this was a good reason to fire it up today anyhow. Enjoy.

I like the sound of that {thumbup} . I am wondering if the mivec has anything to do with the smooth idle

slowsrt4:( May 7, 2014 06:36 PM

I have read that people with MIVEC have had results closer to stockish idle than people with 8s

Bladey May 8, 2014 04:40 AM

My HKS 280's idle quite horribly allbeit they haven't been fully tuned yet. Im sure the Mivec helps with the idle quality

Here is a video

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/w..._VIDEO0022.jpg

mrxx May 9, 2014 04:27 AM

I like the gruff idle half the fun of big cams IMO