EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   transfer case whine (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/671223-transfer-case-whine.html)

jhoganusaf Sep 26, 2013 12:10 PM

transfer case whine

so ive seen in several posts where people are talking about transfer case whine, and its got me wondering if this is a really noticeable whine, or something u really have to tune ur ears for. so i guess im asking what exactly should i be listening for? lol ive got 127k miles on my car, so im really trying to stock up on maintenance and replacement parts.
any input would be appreciated.

SSMCL9 Sep 26, 2013 03:10 PM

I am interested to know as well

sujinX Sep 26, 2013 03:20 PM

the whine is high pitch, u will definitely notice it with the windows up. the pitch gets louder as the rpm's climb. it doesnt go away, it usually starts at a certain mph, like 50 or 60mph then gradually there will be a range 40-70 mph and that will definitely be over for it.

im not sure if u can just stock up on the ring and pinion. reason i say this is that its rather expensive, but the shops that rebuild the tcase can get them cheaper. so for about the same price u pay for just the ring and pinion a shop can rebuild and put in a new one for u.

hiboost2.0 Sep 26, 2013 04:51 PM

If you have it, you will definitely know. It's typically from 50-70 mph. Rpm does NOT matter, you will hear it most when cruising or at light throttle.

jhoganusaf Sep 27, 2013 01:57 AM

is it like dog box transmission loud? or like a quiet hum?

Sil'vr-Boi6 Sep 27, 2013 05:44 AM

I had to replaced mine in 09. Mine sounded like faint WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO in 4- 5th gear doing 55mph-80mph. Lower gears (10mph -40mph), its as loud as your exhaust. With windows up, radio turned down, girlfriend shut the hell up you will hear it. If you pass other cars with windows down the echo will vibrate off theirs and back at your evo. You will know like others have said. My advice is to follow maintenance schedule, never neglect the drivetrain like you do the engine. {thumbup}

05blue8 Sep 27, 2013 05:51 AM

It's loud, and the ring and pinion are around $900 dollars plus labor to replace them. That price is through a shop that got it at a discount also.

jhoganusaf Sep 27, 2013 09:23 AM

ok, thanks guys. if i have it, i definitely dont notice it. lol ive done alot of window up, no music, no girl friend driving and everything seems pretty normal. just hear my turbo spooling, and thuds from the suspension as i hit every tiny bump in the road. lol

Raptord Sep 27, 2013 09:28 AM

Should sound something like this:

jhoganusaf Sep 27, 2013 09:32 AM

well if its loud enough to be picked up by a camera, i dont have it. cant watch the video, since the network im on blocks youtube. -____-

hiboost2.0 Sep 27, 2013 06:07 PM

It's a very loud hum, and gets louder with speed.

EvolutionIX219 Sep 29, 2013 11:09 AM

I had to get my TC rebuilt this year and let me tell you, if yours is broke you will know it. The whine is very distinct, loud, and annoying as all hell.

jhoganusaf Oct 2, 2013 10:33 AM

Thanks replies everyone. Its nice to know i can keep my car on the road a litlle bit longer. lol