EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Buschur Racing ethanol content testing, mind blown. (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/694133-buschur-racing-ethanol-content-testing-mind-blown.html)

David Buschur Jun 26, 2014 07:52 AM

Buschur Racing ethanol content testing, mind blown.

Alright…….long story, I'll make it as short as possible and try to get all the information in this I can.

We have drums of purchased E98 here at the shop. After putting some in a few cars with flex fuel sensors the ethanol content was coming up way short of the expected E98 reading. I assumed that the ethanol had taken on water from condensation and that was the problem.

I did a lot of Google searching to find out what happens when water is introduced to ethanol and how it effects the reading on the meter…….I found nothing.

I decided to build a test fixture for transferring fuel from the drums to the cans/cars and then we would know as it was pumped what the ethanol content was.

Now as a side note, before you watch the video. I became interested in ethanol back around 2004 and applied for Small Ethanol Plant Permit and have been making ethanol at home through a Reflux Still I also built. I was hoping this new test device I built was going to shorten the process of testing that ethanol. I was wrong. In the video I tested some E90 I produced and in the video I verified the E90 (other 10% in my ethanol is water) with a hydrometer before the testing, also in the video.

I'll skip forward to answer some of the obvious questions.

The Ethanol Content Analyzer after talking with Zeitronix, does NOT test ETHANOL content. It actually test for GASOLINE content in the flex fuel sensor and then the ECA does the math for us telling us what the percentage of ethanol is or I think more accurately, what percentage of what is going through the flex fuel sensor is NOT gasoline. You will understand that more after watching the video.

Enjoy.

RussellDaniel Jun 26, 2014 08:04 AM

The link is not working David.

mx4life85 Jun 26, 2014 08:06 AM

Thanks for the information David!

David Buschur Jun 26, 2014 08:19 AM

Sorry!! Link is fixed.

Grimgrak Jun 26, 2014 08:34 AM

LOL talk about insane. So if I took a piss in your tank your eth content would stay the same, since the amount of gas wouldln't change.
Glad i'm sticking to methanol with a wideband failsafe.

rodent Jun 26, 2014 08:49 AM

I wonder why the tap water shows E100?

slowsrt4:( Jun 26, 2014 09:02 AM

very informative, good job as always David

David Buschur Jun 26, 2014 09:19 AM

There is a Part 2 coming today or tomorrow.

Ev0ikon Jun 26, 2014 10:05 AM

Whoa! isn't that the same sensor on most of the newer "flex" ECU (eg: E-manage Ultimate) ?

David Buschur Jun 26, 2014 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon (Post 11242667)
Whoa! isn't that the same sensor on most of the newer "flex" ECU (eg: E-manage Ultimate) ?

There is nothing wrong with the sensor.

heel2toe Jun 26, 2014 11:26 AM

Thanks for conducting this test; it is very interesting. Every time I fill up I test my e85 to make sure its actually on par. I was traveling one time and tested the fuel at a random station and it came out to like e50. Glad I tested it with my little test tube thingy.

David- Im a little confused though with your findings. I understand that the sensor tests for presence of gas not ethanol and then draws its conclusions from that. What I dont get though is when you tested 100% water it came out to e100 because it didnt find any gasoline thus the rest was assumed to be ethanol. OK that makes sense. However when you tested your brewed ethanol which you know to be 90% with the other 10% being water right now it came out to 0% ethanol. How could that be? Why wouldnt it also show it to be e100 like the water sample since there is 0% gasoline in it?

David Buschur Jun 26, 2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11242801)
Thanks for conducting this test; it is very interesting. Every time I fill up I test my e85 to make sure its actually on par. I was traveling one time and tested the fuel at a random station and it came out to like e50. Glad I tested it with my little test tube thingy.

David- Im a little confused though with your findings. I understand that the sensor tests for presence of gas not ethanol and then draws its conclusions from that. What I dont get though is when you tested 100% water it came out to e100 because it didnt find any gasoline thus the rest was assumed to be ethanol. OK that makes sense. However when you tested your brewed ethanol which you know to be 90% with the other 10% being water right now it came out to 0% ethanol. How could that be? Why wouldnt it also show it to be e100 like the water sample since there is 0% gasoline in it?

That is the most confusing part for me too. I don't understand it myself.

Ev0ikon Jun 26, 2014 11:40 AM

I should have asked the question diffently. So this thingy should be called Fluid-That-Is-Not-Gasoline Sensor.

heel2toe Jun 26, 2014 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by David Buschur (Post 11242805)

:lol: Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being dense.

As I think about it, Im not sure it really matters that it shows 100% when testing water because realistically it should never be subjected to those conditions in the first place.

I guess the question remains though, will it pick up on the presence of water assuming the fuel is contaminated?

I want to say yes since as you add water to the sample the amount of ethanol is staying the same thus its % relative to the gasoline and now the water would go down. Is that a fair assumption?

David Buschur Jun 26, 2014 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11242854)
:lol: Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being dense.

As I think about it, Im not sure it really matters that it shows 100% when testing water because realistically it should never be subjected to those conditions in the first place.

I guess the question remains though, will it pick up on the presence of water assuming the fuel is contaminated?

I want to say yes since as you add water to the sample the amount of ethanol is staying the same thus its % relative to the gasoline and now the water would go down. Is that a fair assumption?

It will not detect water until the ethanol is extremely contaminated with it, new video coming to show that tomorrow.

TheBoz Jun 26, 2014 02:01 PM

Awesome vid, thanks.

cmspaz Jun 26, 2014 02:14 PM

Logically, water contamination (as long as there is a notable amount, as David pointed out) would cause the sensor to read an increase in E content, actually an increase in fluid-that-is-not-gasoline content.

heel2toe Jun 26, 2014 02:23 PM

^Correct, that's sorta the unfortunate thing about the way the sensor determines ethanol content.

Biggiesacks Jun 26, 2014 04:36 PM

almost seems like false advertising. It should be called a gasoline content analyzer.

03whitegsr Jun 26, 2014 04:55 PM

Well done sir. Mind blown.

As i understand it, the sensor measures resonant frequency of the RC circuit created by the liquid. Gasoline being a higher capacitance fluid, ethanol being higher conductivity and lower capacitance, water being conductive and should effectively make it look like a higher ethanol content.

Makes sense on the 100% water... But the E90... Mind blown.

Wait... What happens with distilled water? As distilled water is a dielectric and it's the minerals in your tap water that actually make it conductive...

FWIW, I think all flex fuel vehicles use a wideband and use it to trim the afr on top of the content sensor correction. They can correct for water contamination this way.

gsrboi80 Jun 26, 2014 06:30 PM

I was going to ask the same. Curious what the sensor would read with DI, Distilled, reagent grade water.

Interesting

wizzo 8 Jun 26, 2014 07:01 PM

Subscribed as I have the same sensor and it reads different then my test tube. Guessing the test tube is more accurate:dunno:

galantman03 Jun 26, 2014 07:12 PM

This I needed to know. Great info as I was going to buy the sensor.... I think I'm just going to continue to use the test tube lol

Originally Posted by David Buschur (Post 11242805)

Could it be that the water in your tank that you produced was actually pure water, and the mineral content in the tap water was throwing it off? Idk just spit ballin here

TommiM Jun 26, 2014 08:13 PM

Thanks for doing that testing David. I learned something new.

94AWDcoupe Jun 26, 2014 09:35 PM

werd. who new?

Faisalm Jun 26, 2014 09:42 PM

Buschur uploaded the 2nd part of his test on his Youtube account... meanmitsu

Boost Demon Jun 26, 2014 09:50 PM

Nice testing{pcfreak}:thumbup:. I haven't done any research on any possible differences in ethanol sensors between GM and Zeitronix, so bare with me, but do sensors found in GM vehicles analyze things differently with the same, or multiple sensors?

Very informative for everyone in the tuner/performance community thanks again Dave!{thumbup}:beer:.

mrfred Jun 26, 2014 11:16 PM

thanks for the vid. if the sensor is based on conductivity, it makes sense that tap water, which is high conductivity, appears as 100% eth. would be interesting to see DI water which is much lower conductivity.

curious as to why you are suspecting water contamination. i guess its not an unrealistic possibility for e85 from a pump, but since water+eth is a bad combo for a motor, i like to think it doesn't happen.

evoredy Jun 26, 2014 11:46 PM

I apologize for not making this 100% clear, but yes, the GM or whatever variant sensor thinks of water as ethanol.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10591085-post63.html

Great video!

I don't know why your "premium" ethanol fooled the sensor! I still have my logs and Everclear does in fact peg the sensor.

evoredy Jun 26, 2014 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by evoredy (Post 11243348)
I apologize for not making this 100% clear, but yes, the GM or whatever variant sensor thinks of water as ethanol.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/10591085-post63.html

Great video!

I don't know why your "premium" ethanol fooled the sensor! I still have my logs and Everclear does in fact peg the sensor.

EDIT: I really don't wanna bust out my o-scope, but I will of you guys need closure. This could be a high-limit on ZT-Gauge as the analog circuit I devised doesn't care about limits.

Sorry for double post.

shak2300 Jun 27, 2014 08:42 AM

here part 2

thepoint4life23 Jun 27, 2014 10:42 AM

What does this all mean?

jfa_evo Jun 27, 2014 11:01 AM

What we need to ask ourselves is what happen when you find a bad gas station which add water or the E85 has more contamination that what the engine/tune can tolerate.

Maybe David could advice what needs to be consider in the tune or other readings from the engine. Base on those metrics, implement maybe a safe-fail mechanism to avoid catastrophic failure in the engine....

If I have a track day, I'll buy E85 directly from a race fuel vendor. this case is when you know that the engine will be put into the test.

mrfred Jun 27, 2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by jfa_evo (Post 11243688)
What we need to ask ourselves is what happen when you find a bad gas station which add water or the E85 has more contamination that what the engine/tune can tolerate.

Maybe David could advice what needs to be consider in the tune or other readings from the engine. Base on those metrics, implement maybe a safe-fail mechanism to avoid catastrophic failure in the engine....

If I have a track day, I'll buy E85 directly from a race fuel vendor. this case is when you know that the engine will be put into the test.

Water in e85 is bad for the motor (formic acid production goes up during combustion and gasoline/ethanol separation occurs in the fuel tank in extreme contamination cases), and for those reasons, water content in e85 is more tightly controlled than in pump gas. The station storage tanks even have to be different to control water uptake. Check out the 2009 govt report on E85 sampling. Out of 150 samples taken across the country, the average water content was only ~0.6%, and only two had more than more than 1% water (1.3, 1.4%).

As you suggest, it would have to be deliberate contamination for water content to be in excess of 2%. This would never happen during manufacturing, only at an unscrupulous gas station. While an ethanol content sensor may not pickup a change from 0.5% to 10% water, your engine would tell you. Fuel trims would definitely drift lean, and my guess is that the motor wouldn't run as smoothly, probably have crappy idle.

The real concern should be getting a tank of E85 with lower than usual ethanol content, and as far as I'm concerned, a flex fuel sensor is great for monitoring this because the chance of having water-contaminated E85 is very very low.

heel2toe Jun 27, 2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by mrfred (Post 11243719)
The real concern should be getting a tank of E85 with lower than usual ethanol content, and as far as I'm concerned, a flex fuel sensor is great for monitoring this because the chance of having water-contaminated E85 is very very low.

My only gripe with the flex fuel sensor is that your getting the reading after the fuel has been pumped into your car. Don't get me wrong it's better than nothing however what do you do when you fill your tank and then it reads e70? I have no interest in putting the car around for 200 miles due to a bad tank of gas. Or even worse what happens if it comes out to something like 50%?

I prefer to spend the 2 minutes it takes to test it with my little test tube thingy and confirm that its the % im looking for before I fill her up.

Faisalm Jun 27, 2014 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11243746)
My only gripe with the flex fuel sensor is that your getting the reading after the fuel has been pumped into your car. Don't get me wrong it's better than nothing however what do you do when you fill your tank and then it reads e70? I have no interest in putting the car around for 200 miles due to a bad tank of gas. Or even worse what happens if it comes out to something like 50%?

I prefer to spend the 2 minutes it takes to test it with my little test tube thingy and confirm that its the % im looking for before I fill her up.

But then what happens if for example you're tuned on E85 and you come up to a gas station and it turns out to be E70 and you confirm it with your test tube... Then you go to another gas station and it turns out to be E75 for example... And the next one and the next one... Then you run out of gas and wished you had put in some E70 in the first place...

Anyway you shouldn't have any issues during cruising if it's E85 or E70 yes? Your only concern would be boosted runs or WOT?

heel2toe Jun 27, 2014 01:31 PM

^Haha well that is the issue. Can't say I've never been in that situation before...I'm not sure how to calculate what affect running e70 would have on your AFR's relative to if it were e85 but I'd guess it could richen things up maybe 1/2 a point?

Realistically the car would probably drive fine on e70 but yes, I would certainly not get on it knowing its not the same ethanol content my car is tuned for.

wreckleford Jun 27, 2014 06:16 PM

Its unlikely anyone will be running real E100 or E0 so the good thing is if your sensor is reading either it would be safe to assume you have a problem.

evoredy Jun 27, 2014 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by wreckleford (Post 11243967)
Its unlikely anyone will be running real E100 or E0 so the good thing is if your sensor is reading either it would be safe to assume you have a problem.

Well said!

Great follow up video and good closure.

And to the ones that have a wideband and daily their vehicles, one can easily tell the difference from the fuel they got tuned with and another fuel in which your AFR values will either be a good half-point to point off based on whether the E85 content is high or low during a part throttle boost pull of about 15PSI+- or so. I always look when I fill up, so make sure you do that too along with using all the whiz-bang hardware we have today. If it's breaking up at that point, yes Virginia, we have a problem.

TommiM Jun 28, 2014 12:41 AM

This thread had reminded me how important it is to test the e85 before pumping in. I just ordered, from Buschur, earlier today a e85 tester. $15, a lot cheaper than the zeitronix and I will know what it is BEFORE it gets pumped in. If it tests bad I don't need to pump it in, Im running a dual map tune.

j255c Jun 28, 2014 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11243785)
^Haha well that is the issue. Can't say I've never been in that situation before...I'm not sure how to calculate what affect running e70 would have on your AFR's relative to if it were e85 but I'd guess it could richen things up maybe 1/2 a point?

Realistically the car would probably drive fine on e70 but yes, I would certainly not get on it knowing its not the same ethanol content my car is tuned for.

I once was not paying attention and filled up with e70, i got tuned on e85, care ran like **** and under boost broke up a lot. Huge noticeable difference.

wrx2evoIX Jun 28, 2014 05:26 AM

If you were tuned for 11.5 AFR on E85 and filled with E70 your AFR would decrease but should still run OK, assuming moderate boost and timing advance. If you are tuned "on the edge" it may be different.

Once you are over 50% ethanol/50% gas you get 90% of the benefits of adding ethanol to gas.

Every car that's running tuned should have an AFR gauge and the owner should be educated.

I've been running Eflex in Australia now for over 4 years continuously. It varies from E70 to E85, depending on time of year, and I've never had any problems.

j255c Jun 28, 2014 06:43 AM

yeah i was running 30psi, e85 was my aggressive map

evoredy Jun 28, 2014 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by wrx2evoIX (Post 11244141)
If you were tuned for 11.5 AFR on E85 and filled with E70 your AFR may increase to low/mid 12's but shouldn't run like **** It should still be OK, assuming moderate boost and timing advance. If you are tuned "on the edge" it may be different.

Once you are over 50% ethanol/50% gas you get 90% of the benefits of adding ethanol to gas.

Every car that's running tuned should have an AFR gauge and the owner should be educated.

I've been running Eflex in Australia now for over 4 years continuously. It varies from E70 to E85, depending on time of year, and I've never had any problems.

It's the other way around. If you were at 11.5 on good known E85, a good known E70 fill-up would make your car run pig rich.

wrx2evoIX Jun 28, 2014 04:05 PM

:) too much ethanol on board when I added that post. Yes, AFR's would be lower with E70. Tuning AFR's in the mid to high 11's should provide room either way for some variation in E content.

cfdfireman1 Jun 28, 2014 07:23 PM

And the E85 tester that works by adding H2O only tell tells you what the CH3CH2OH content is, what is the rest? Do we need a flex fuel tester like the Zeitronix to go along with it?

RazorLab Jun 28, 2014 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by wrx2evoIX (Post 11244141)
If you were tuned for 11.5 AFR on E85 and filled with E70 your AFR may increase to low/mid 12's

No, it would go richer with less Ethanol, not leaner.

cfdfireman1 Jun 28, 2014 08:06 PM

That depends on what's replacing the ethanol, no?

RazorLab Jun 28, 2014 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by cfdfireman1 (Post 11244561)
That depends on what's replacing the ethanol, no?

Of course, I was assuming gasoline.

wrx2evoIX Jun 29, 2014 12:27 AM

Corrected my post to avoid confusion, thanks for those who pointed out the error.

TheSigmaEnigma Jun 29, 2014 02:22 PM

I hate how inconsistent Ethanol can be. Here in NY I have to deal with "Winter Blend" and a greatly fluctuating Summer Blend too. Never ends. Thanks for the information tho!

evotris Jun 30, 2014 08:18 AM

David,

Don't you think it's still better to test the ethanol content by using the test tube than relying on the ECA?

David Buschur Jun 30, 2014 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by evotris (Post 11245509)
David,

Don't you think it's still better to test the ethanol content by using the test tube than relying on the ECA?

The test tube we sell will tell you what the percentage is so you can be "safe" and know what you are getting.

The ECA from Zeitronix tells you the same thing without the hassle of the tube. The ECA also allows you to wire the input into an ECU and have the ECU change the calibration from pure ethanol to pure gasoline, so there is no worry of timing, fuel and boost needing to be changed at the content changes.

thepoint4life23 Jul 1, 2014 08:57 AM

I will say i still want one for my car. also a little of topic but how do you guys test it at the gas station, pump it in to a gas can then put it in the tube or what?

cfdfireman1 Jul 1, 2014 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by David Buschur (Post 11245633)

The ECA from Zeitronix tells you the same thing without the hassle of the tube. The ECA also allows you to wire the input into an ECU and have the ECU change the calibration from pure ethanol to pure gasoline, so there is no worry of timing, fuel and boost needing to be changed at the content changes.

Did you just show us in these videos that the ECA doesn't necessarily show the ethanol content of you fuel?

egis Jul 1, 2014 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23 (Post 11246708)
I will say i still want one for my car. also a little of topic but how do you guys test it at the gas station, pump it in to a gas can then put it in the tube or what?

I always carry small plastic cup.but then again if I see that e85 is a piss I still fuel up cause I have no choice.just try using gas stations with decent e85 which I do.

David Buschur Jul 1, 2014 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23 (Post 11246708)

Not easy or convenient to test at the gas station but what you said is what you have to do.