EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   oil threw oil cap (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/712248-oil-threw-oil-cap.html)

boostedadiction Apr 28, 2015 02:19 PM

oil threw oil cap

Having a problem with oil coming out threw the cap, went out the other night an did a pull an car started stuttering so pulled over to find my oil cap came off and got oil all over, so filled it back up with oil an put cap back on and drove it home, new oil cap came in and put it on felt to seal nice an tight on like the old one, went out and cruising it drives just fine but once doing a pull got the same oil all over and looks like its coming from the oil cap again? any ideas.

jakeleclair2000 Apr 28, 2015 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by boostedadiction (Post 11437120)
Having a problem with oil coming out through the cap, went out the other night an did a pull an car started stuttering so pulled over to find my oil cap came off and got oil all over, so filled it back up with oil an put cap back on and drove it home, new oil cap came in and put it on felt to seal nice an tight on like the old one, went out and cruising it drives just fine but once doing a pull got the same oil all over and looks like its coming from the oil cap again? any ideas.

So is it coming out through the actual cap or from around it?

Maybe a crack in the valve cover.....

boostedadiction Apr 28, 2015 02:27 PM

appears to be from the cap, not sure how valve cover couldve jus cracked

egis Apr 28, 2015 02:43 PM

Are you sure it's not from the dip stick tube?

jakeleclair2000 Apr 28, 2015 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by boostedadiction (Post 11437127)
appears to be from the cap, not sure how valve cover couldve jus cracked

hmmm.......how is your crankcase ventilation?

Still seems weird that oil would be pushed through the cap though.

boostedadiction Apr 28, 2015 03:15 PM

Dipstick tube is still down, which was the first place i checked, and i agree this is weird never had anything like it before.

LetsGetThisDone Apr 28, 2015 03:37 PM

My car did this on my old cap with out popping the dipstick tube. New cap solved it, but then I also did -10an vents in the valve cover because the crankcase pressure was making my turbo leak.

You probably have too much crank case pressure.

boostedadiction Apr 28, 2015 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11437164)
My car did this on my old cap with out popping the dipstick tube. New cap solved it, but then I also did -10an vents in the valve cover because the crankcase pressure was making my turbo leak.

You probably have too much crank case pressure.

tried new cap an got the same thing, i think a catch can set up will be next for me, running out of other possibilities

heel2toe Apr 28, 2015 05:15 PM

A catch can doesnt do anything to help with crankcase pressure issues. Grab some popcorn and start rearing here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html

I see your sig mentions quest for 10's which to me means you are running a boatload of boost larger turbo or a combination of the two which all leads to increased crankcase pressure. If your motor is built and built loosely that'll also contribute to increased crankcase pressure. As such you need to help your engine breathe.

robbyredneck Apr 28, 2015 06:56 PM

mine oozed oil out from under the cap until i drilled and tapped the valve cover

xMCxMRx Apr 29, 2015 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11437212)
A catch can doesnt do anything to help with crankcase pressure issues. Grab some popcorn and start rearing here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...re-issues.html

I see your sig mentions quest for 10's which to me means you are running a boatload of boost larger turbo or a combination of the two which all leads to increased crankcase pressure. If your motor is built and built loosely that'll also contribute to increased crankcase pressure. As such you need to help your engine breathe.

I disagree, in fact, the only time I ever had trouble with crankcase pressure was when my catch can was full. I had my pcv valve deleted and replaced it with a -10an fitting, as well as drilled out the valve cover for a second -10an fitting to my catch can. I have pictures if anyone would like to see.

heel2toe Apr 29, 2015 06:40 AM

^You disagree with me yet you fail to truly comprehend what I'm saying as evident by your comment...let me try again. A catch can does absolutely NOTHING to help the engine breathe better. I'm not saying that they aren't important as I think they serve a purpose if a quality can is used and they are plumbed properly. I have a saikou michi dual catch can that I think works quite well.

However, you said you disagree with my comment and then talked about how you removed your PCV installed a -10an fitting on the back of the valve cover and drilled out the side port to -10an as well. What do you think that did for you? That is what solved your crankcase pressure issues not putting a catch can inline. A catch can will not help things breathe better and technically will even be a restriction albeit hopefully negligible if plumbed properly.

So as I said to the OP there is an awesome thread on this topic which he should read through and come up with a strategy to help alleviate his crankcase pressure issues.

xMCxMRx Apr 29, 2015 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11437485)
^You disagree with me yet you fail to truly comprehend what I'm saying as evident by your comment...let me try again. A catch can does absolutely NOTHING to help the engine breathe better. I'm not saying that they aren't important as I think they serve a purpose if a quality can is used and they are plumbed properly. I have a saikou michi dual catch can that I think works quite well.

However, you said you disagree with my comment and then talked about how you removed your PCV installed a -10an fitting on the back of the valve cover and drilled out the side port to -10an as well. What do you think that did for you? That is what solved your crankcase pressure issues not putting a catch can inline. A catch can will not help things breathe better and technically will even be a restriction albeit hopefully negligible if plumbed properly.

So as I said to the OP there is an awesome thread on this topic which he should read through and come up with a strategy to help alleviate his crankcase pressure issues.

After looking at your catch can set up based off pictures off of the Internet I see ours are very much different. I should have added that mine is a dual filter vented catch can.

boostedadiction Apr 29, 2015 05:07 PM

yes i have an fp black on e85 etc on stock block with cams an typical set up, so you seem to think installing a catch can wont solve my problem? Then what do you think i should do?

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11437212)

LetsGetThisDone Apr 29, 2015 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by boostedadiction (Post 11437900)
yes i have an fp black on e85 etc on stock block with cams an typical set up, so you seem to think installing a catch can wont solve my problem? Then what do you think i should do?

read that thread he linked. Specifically the last 2 or 3 pages where i was helping him with his setup.