EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Best engine oil brand (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/722198-best-engine-oil-brand.html)

jarek0621 Nov 30, 2015 10:53 AM

Best engine oil brand

Is royal purple oil a good oil to use or is there a better oil for the evo 9

LetsGetThisDone Nov 30, 2015 10:55 AM

I find water works fine. If you can get it, battery acid is even better.

caLi4G63 Nov 30, 2015 12:17 PM

^agreed.

On a serious note, there are many popular oil brands out there. As far as the best, that depends on your opinion of what best is. Brad Penn oil is a popular choice.

kaj Nov 30, 2015 12:41 PM

Royal Purple is fine, but there are cheaper alternatives that are just as good (for most people).

barneyb Nov 30, 2015 08:07 PM

If you have a built engine, especially one that one that comes with a warranty, use what the maker suggests. Other than that, since our engines require synthetic oil and synthetic oil is the top of the line for any brand, you should be fine with any synthetic oil. Just change it often enough to keep it reasonably clean. I recommend every 3K for normal driving. That, and don't go cheap when you purchase an oil filter.

easternlife_evo Dec 1, 2015 03:20 PM

Fully built evo 8 after using rotella for break in been faithful to Mobil one 10w30 advanced technology the gold bottle and oem filter no complaints here

06RedRalli Dec 1, 2015 03:46 PM

Check out VR1 Racing Oil by Valvoline. I run it due to FP saying to run it with their turbos, and it's easily accessible locally through O'Reilly Auto.

easternlife_evo Dec 1, 2015 03:56 PM

Well good to know on my end cause I'll be going fp black this winter

Jaraxle Dec 1, 2015 05:40 PM

royal what

I bought some royal purple. But I am in NY. The lowest temp last year was -8F when I was leaving work at 1:30am. Then I saw this:

And I know it is -40 versus -8, but I am sticking with Mobile 1.

Where did the royal purple go? Into the wife's KIA.

~Jaraxle

easternlife_evo Dec 1, 2015 05:47 PM

Damn I don't think it gets -40 in Ct but it Damn sure gets cold maybe I'll stick with Mobil one 👍

kaj Dec 1, 2015 06:33 PM

If you're not racing your car, any synthetic is fine.
I.E. I've used Rotella T6 on all my turbo cars that I track. No problems.

So Mobil 1 is just fine.

{thumbup}

Robin651 Dec 1, 2015 07:54 PM

mobil 1?

Jmills Dec 2, 2015 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11544131)
If you're not racing your car, any synthetic is fine.
I.E. I've used Rotella T6 on all my turbo cars that I track. No problems.

So Mobil 1 is just fine.

{thumbup}

I also run Rotella T6 on my turbo cars and get oil testing done every other change. Never any surprises.

e_kobz Dec 2, 2015 06:49 AM

I've used many types of oil. Amsoil, Motul, Penrite, valvoline, and the list goes on. You're going to find people who have their personal preferences and hate on other brands cause they know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a moron who had a bad experience with one single brand. Amsoil and Motul are great like but you'll pay more for it. I currently am using Valvoline VR1 and can't be happier. I use the 10W-30 VR1 non synthetic in my Evo X and the VR1 Racing full synthetic in my race car. I have had 0 issues. In my opinion Valvoline and Brad Penn is the way to go. Great quality oils that don't cost more than $10 a quart

mrbonilla Dec 2, 2015 07:09 AM

i have heard a lot of people using rotella t6