EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Cars not running right (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/723667-cars-not-running-right.html)

Christian114 Jan 10, 2016 06:24 PM

Cars not running right

I put an evo 9 turbo in my evo 8 today took it for a spin and it wouldn't let me pass 3k rpms like it was stuttering.when I try to push on the gas it's hesitant.what could my problem be?thank-you.

egis Jan 10, 2016 06:33 PM

i think you got massive leak at J pipe licp connection.

evillancer06 Jan 10, 2016 06:33 PM

If it doesn't go past 3k is sounds kind of like your in limp mode. Were you trying to do a hard pull? Do you have a boost gauge, wideband, etc.? Going to need more information if you need some advice. More details please

Christian114 Jan 10, 2016 07:38 PM

What's limp mode?and no I don't have boost gauge or wideband. But yeah I was trying to do a hard pull in 3rd & gear but it wouldn't let me it wouldn't go past 3 K very hesitant like I was running out of gas
or something

evillancer06 Jan 11, 2016 12:09 AM

Like egis said you might have some kind of boost leak. I would go through and look over everything that you touched and make sure all the couplers and clamps are all seated correctly and tight. If there was no problem before the turbo install then it has something to do with your install.

Christian114 Jan 11, 2016 10:09 PM

I've tighten all the clamps and it seems like it's still a little bit laggy any other suggestions? could it be because I haven't got a tune yet?

evo8426 Jan 12, 2016 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by evillancer06 (Post 11561278)
If it doesn't go past 3k is sounds kind of like your in limp mode. Were you trying to do a hard pull? Do you have a boost gauge, wideband, etc.? Going to need more information if you need some advice. More details please

There is not a limp mode. Sounds like a monstrous boost leak or issue with MAF.

06RedRalli Jan 12, 2016 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Christian114 (Post 11561272)
I put an evo 9 turbo in my evo 8 today took it for a spin and it wouldn't let me pass 3k rpms like it was stuttering.when I try to push on the gas it's hesitant.what could my problem be?thank-you.

What kind of boost controller? Possibly hooked up lines backwards?

german_evoVII Jan 12, 2016 10:15 AM

MAF Connector Plug connected? Big 7 pin connector.. check it if propperly clicked in

If not, there is in fact a Limp mode. Car will idle normal and running at partial load normal up to 3200 RPM, but struggles sometimes.

Other option some people doesn't know: if you dont use the Evo9 Outlet pipe for the turbo, its possible that it will short the Battery sometimes because the Evo 8 Outlet pipe attached to an Evo9 Turbo will hit the Main Battery cable connected to the starter.

Christian114 Jan 12, 2016 12:23 PM

No boost controller. Is there a diagram or a picture you can send me for the proper connection of those hoses

LetsGetThisDone Jan 12, 2016 12:32 PM

do a boost leak test before anything else

evillancer06 Jan 12, 2016 07:05 PM

Ok so we need more information. You made a previous thread about buying the correct turbo for your car. So you are running a 2.3 with a 9 turbo that you blew and then put another 9 turbo on? It would really help if you took pictures of your setup so we can see how you have everything hooked up.

What part of Cali are you in?

barneyb Jan 13, 2016 06:52 PM

According to my 2003 Factory Service Manual there are eleven limp modes. What it amounts to is when a major fault in a sensor or component is detected it uses one of these limp modes to keep the engine running. A puzzling one is crank sensor failure limp mode where the ECU injects fuel in the firing order 1-3-4-2 with irregular timing (whatever that means). What good this would do with the fuel pump off is beyond me.

There are also limp modes for failure of the following sensors: volume airflow, intake air temperature, throttle position, coolant temperature, camshaft position, barometric pressure, knock sensor, both oxygen sensors, generator voltage sensor, and misfire.

The people with the early cars (like mine) who encountered the strange shudder when the p0300 code set were getting to experience the misfire limp mode. In the misfire limp mode fuel to the cylinder with the highest misfire count was shut off.

I suspect people complaining of mysterious engine problems sometimes have engines running in one of these limp modes.

evo8426 Jan 16, 2016 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11562775)
I suspect people complaining of mysterious engine problems sometimes have engines running in one of these limp modes.

Unable to locate any limp modes within the Evo 9 sevice manual :dunno:

FTONOOB Jan 16, 2016 04:50 PM

Unplug the MAF and see if it works better. How's it idling? Fuel trim numbers? Try spraying propane on the lines, confirming boost/vacuum leaks.