EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Wideband Install (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/736861-wideband-install.html)

ODUB Jan 28, 2017 06:06 AM

Wideband Install

I remember reading that there is a fuse in the box that is unused, and always stays on that is perfect for plugging in a wideband. Can't find the thread again. Can anyone tell me which one it is, and what size fuse I'll need?

ODUB Jan 31, 2017 04:01 AM

Anybody?

Biggiesacks Jan 31, 2017 08:02 AM

You wouldnt want the wideband ti always stay on. It has a heated element that you only want on when the car is running. Find a switched 12v circuit to tap.

ODUB Feb 1, 2017 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks (Post 11705865)
You wouldnt want the wideband ti always stay on. It has a heated element that you only want on when the car is running. Find a switched 12v circuit to tap.

I meant always on when the car is on. If the key is turned on, it's on and doesn't flicker on startup.

Biggiesacks Feb 1, 2017 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB (Post 11706179)
I meant always on when the car is on. If the key is turned on, it's on and doesn't flicker on startup.

Gotcha, I don't know about a spare fused circuit, but what I did was wire it into the switched 12v for the ECU at the ECU connector. That way if the ECU gets power, so does the wide band controller. Also i have it wired into the ecu in other ways so it was also very convenient. I would recommend adding a small inline fuse though just in case.

ODUB Feb 3, 2017 03:29 AM

Anybody?

GTijoejoe Feb 3, 2017 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB (Post 11705097)
I remember reading that there is a fuse in the box that is unused, and always stays on that is perfect for plugging in a wideband. Can't find the thread again. Can anyone tell me which one it is, and what size fuse I'll need?

The term you are looking for is electrical circuit for accessories "ACC" or ignition on.

On every single car I've ever worked on, I always use the ACC circuit from the radio for gauges and wide bands.

...accept one car which had a turbo timer and since I was in the ignition column anyway, that's where I tapped from, ignition switch for accessories.
You have to be certain you are using a fused circuit typically 10amp for what your are using.

To find a fuse location in the box from ignition cycle, use a multimeter, or one of those electrical circuit light thingys (super easy)
Amperage specific for your electronics should be listed in the directions (my guess is 10)

ODUB Feb 5, 2017 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by GTijoejoe (Post 11707217)
The term you are looking for is electrical circuit for accessories "ACC" or ignition on.

On every single car I've ever worked on, I always use the ACC circuit from the radio for gauges and wide bands.

...accept one car which had a turbo timer and since I was in the ignition column anyway, that's where I tapped from, ignition switch for accessories.
You have to be certain you are using a fused circuit typically 10amp for what your are using.

To find a fuse location in the box from ignition cycle, use a multimeter, or one of those electrical circuit light thingys (super easy)
Amperage specific for your electronics should be listed in the directions (my guess is 10)

It wasn't the ACC circuit. I'll just have to try searching again. I couldn't find the thread again when I looked for it before.

Teal2nnr Feb 5, 2017 06:23 PM

Just use a fuse tap and tap into the fuse that is used for the gauges.

ODUB Mar 9, 2017 05:48 PM

bump