EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   ACT Throw Out Bearing (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/743941-act-throw-out-bearing.html)

SW20Mike Oct 11, 2017 05:37 AM

ACT Throw Out Bearing

Recently purchased an ACT ME2-HDSS clutch kit to replace my slipping Competition Clutch Stage 2. I've got the newer kit which comes with the Monoloc, glad I don't have to buy it separately. My question is, do most people use the TOB which comes with this kit, or is it better to just buy the OEM TOB? I've heard some people say that they are the same, I couldn't confirm this though, thoughts?

CaptainSquirts Oct 12, 2017 07:21 AM

I bought an oem tob with my hdss clutch kit. I weigh'd the ACT and OEM tob's and the oem one weighed a little more. Had the act 6 puck prior while using the act TOB and it lasted 60, 70k miles before the TOB failed. The clutch was worn down to the rivets as well so its not like I would've gotten that much more from my clutch if the tob didn't go first.

Bhsj13 Oct 12, 2017 02:08 PM

so if no driving hard all the time the ACT tob is fine? i mean strictly DD.

barneyb Oct 12, 2017 02:33 PM

My first OEM TOB was perfect at 90K, the second toast at 25. I dunno what changed or just the luck of the draw. But since I know I might only get another 25K out of the OEM part I'd not hesitate to use the one in the kit.

CaptainSquirts Oct 13, 2017 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11778014)
My first OEM TOB was perfect at 90K, the second toast at 25. I dunno what changed or just the luck of the draw. But since I know I might only get another 25K out of the OEM part I'd not hesitate to use the one in the kit.

Was your clutch replaced when you changed the TOB to the one that lasted 25k? Just curious because the person that swapped my clutch said my worn clutch caused my tob to go bad.

barneyb Oct 13, 2017 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts (Post 11778222)
Was your clutch replaced when you changed the TOB to the one that lasted 25k? Just curious because the person that swapped my clutch said my worn clutch caused my tob to go bad.

Flywheel was turned, everything else new.

4b11slayer Oct 13, 2017 09:16 PM

Go oem.

tauro91 Oct 15, 2017 08:14 PM

Go with their tob that was most likely engineered around their clutch for fitment and other criterias... If using a stock replacement clutch then oem all the way.

SW20Mike Oct 21, 2017 02:32 PM

So off topic question, but about 6 months ago my clutch was slipping in 4th and 5th when going WOT. Car was stored in my garage for 6 months, I ordered a clutch kit while deployed. Now when I drive the car, there is no slippage in any gear, like all is well again. Has any experienced intermittent slipping like this? I've got an appt with a local shop to have the clutch swapped (reputable shop, reasonable rates), any reason I shouldn't go ahead and go through with the swap?

4b11slayer Oct 21, 2017 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SW20Mike (Post 11779763)
So off topic question, but about 6 months ago my clutch was slipping in 4th and 5th when going WOT. Car was stored in my garage for 6 months, I ordered a clutch kit while deployed. Now when I drive the car, there is no slippage in any gear, like all is well again. Has any experienced intermittent slipping like this? I've got an appt with a local shop to have the clutch swapped (reputable shop, reasonable rates), any reason I shouldn't go ahead and go through with the swap?

#threadjack? Is it a act clutch in it now? If so ive experienced this with the hdss. Intermittent slippage.

SW20Mike Oct 21, 2017 04:50 PM

Ita currently a Competition stage 2, I have an Act hdss kit to put in.

4b11slayer Oct 21, 2017 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by SW20Mike (Post 11779787)
Ita currently a Competition stage 2, I have an Act hdss kit to put in.

Competition clutch is junk from what ive read. Its likely only slipping here and there cause its a rave clutch. There more forgiving then oem.

Simon696 Nov 15, 2017 05:29 AM

my act TOB is acting up, just making tons of chatter when off throttle.