EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   new transmission (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/744585-new-transmission.html)

944Nord Nov 9, 2017 01:02 PM

new transmission

Hi I am looking for a new trans .as my current one gives me at top speed about 125 miles.
I mainly use the car at track days ,the evo I just tried once at the track under could and wet conditions and hit the rev limiter
pretty fast i fifth gear..
The engine makes 600hp /515 ft lb .
Can I buy used 5 speed or should I go for something upgraded like a Shep stage 1 or 2 ?
The car is evo ix with a 5 speed trans.
Regards Udo

LetsGetThisDone Nov 9, 2017 01:10 PM

Evo 9 should do like 170 in 5th.

944Nord Nov 9, 2017 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11784292)
Evo 9 should do like 170 in 5th.

I just bought the car and dont what trans in the car , but it seem like the ratios is not original.
Think the trans would fit a rally car.
Udo

LetsGetThisDone Nov 9, 2017 03:30 PM

Even Group N (rally) ratios should do 150+ in 5th depending on tire size and RPM.

If you're going to send it to anyone in the states, it should go to this guy:

www.teamrip.com

hutch959 Nov 9, 2017 04:54 PM

shep or jacks...
ive used both with good results.

barneyb Nov 9, 2017 09:50 PM

Sounds more like an engine problem than a transmission problem.

ElectricBlueIX Nov 10, 2017 06:33 PM

Go with the Shep trans with upgraded gear ratios. It costs a bit but it's worth it. Is your motor a 2.0 or 2.3? If it's a 2.3 have him install a 4.11 final drive. Will give you the longer gearing you're looking for.

kikiturbo Nov 10, 2017 11:59 PM

by far the best gearbox guy in europe is Clive, Transmissiondynamics@gmail.com

he does all the high powered cars in UK...

944Nord Nov 12, 2017 12:45 PM

Thank you for your replays .
I think i send requests to Shep and Clive and hear what they recommend.
The offers from Shep ,Jacks and Teamrip looks more or less equal to me, is there any differences I should look out for.
Regards Udo

ak1207 Nov 12, 2017 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 944Nord (Post 11784833)
The offers from Shep ,Jacks and Teamrip looks more or less equal to me, is there any differences I should look out for.
Regards Udo

pm sent.

LetsGetThisDone Nov 16, 2017 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 944Nord (Post 11784833)
Regards Udo

TRE is the only shop that does shot peening and gear detailing to actually make your gear set stronger. He is also the only shop the magnafluxes parts to check everything for cracks. Everyone else charges a lot of money for what is essentially just a transmission rebuild that you could do yourself.

He also doesn't paint your stuff like a 3rd grader with a can $.99 spray paint. Your trans comes back looking brand new with soda blasted cases and all new bolts.

If you want the best Evo trans (or any drivetrain part), you send it to TRE. Which does mean putting up with getting a hold of him, but that caveat is more than made for by his work and the finished product that leaves his shop.

Adrenolin Nov 16, 2017 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11785944)
TRE is the only shop that does shot peening and gear detailing to actually make your gear set stronger. He is also the only shop the magnafluxes parts to check everything for cracks. Everyone else charges a lot of money for what is essentially just a transmission rebuild that you could do yourself.

He also doesn't paint your stuff like a 3rd grader with a can $.99 spray paint. Your trans comes back looking brand new with soda blasted cases and all new bolts.

If you want the best Evo trans (or any drivetrain part), you send it to TRE. Which does mean putting up with getting a hold of him, but that caveat is more than made for by his work and the finished product that leaves his shop.

Got me excited enough to check him out, only to find out he doesn't work on X's {thumbdwn}lol

LetsGetThisDone Nov 16, 2017 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Adrenolin (Post 11785971)
Got me excited enough to check him out, only to find out he doesn't work on X's {thumbdwn}lol

Yes he does, its just not on his site. Pricing is similar to the 8/9 for trans and tcase stuff IIRC. Except he doesn't have ring/pinion gears for the X tcase.