EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Drivable clutch for 475-500 WHP (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/746307-drivable-clutch-475-500-whp.html)

Jhaze71 Jan 26, 2018 04:09 PM

Drivable clutch for 475-500 WHP

I have an Evo 8, FP red otw and after tuning I should be mid to high 400's in HP. Currently still have the stock clutch (not slipping). I don't launch and have no intentions of launching. What is the best clutch out there that can handle that power and is close to stock feel?

Thanks!

tauro91 Jan 27, 2018 11:04 PM

exedy twin

Evo9_Dubai Jan 27, 2018 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by tauro91 (Post 11800582)
exedy twin

It really depends on what turbo he goes for and the torque the car will be making.
Exedy twin is nice, the SD pedal feel is almost like stock. Although it comes with a price tag.

There are affordable single disc options that can hold 350-375 WTQ that won't break the bank and are perfectly driveable. {pcfreak}

Redbud23 Jan 28, 2018 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Evo9_Dubai (Post 11800583)
It really depends on what turbo he goes for and the torque the car will be making.
Exedy twin is nice, the SD pedal feel is almost like stock. Although it comes with a price tag.

There are affordable single disc options that can hold 350-375 WTQ that won't break the bank and are perfectly driveable. {pcfreak}

He right the EXEDY twin SD is your best beat. Mine was great at 525/425 at the wheels. You really cannot beat how it drives.

Pal215 Jan 28, 2018 01:49 AM

Exedy twin and tripple are loud for daily drivers. I have run both and you can't press your clutch in to rev your engine without it sounding like there is something terrible off with the car. I understand that it's normal, but I need to find a clutch that holds 600ftlbs torque that's less noisy.

That being said, nothing beats the feel of this clutch. It just doesn't slip.

Jhaze71 Jan 28, 2018 08:14 AM

Going to be running the FP red (ss) hopefully not a bad choice. Will keep torque around 375 and HP at 500.

Siluck2 Jan 28, 2018 10:11 PM

Just get an ACT HDSS.

also, that red with the SS housing will be laggy. I’d try to find a MHI housing red.

blackline Jan 29, 2018 05:51 AM

ACT HDSS or XTSS

Aby@MIL.SPEC Jan 29, 2018 06:41 AM

I suggest running a single of some type.... act

I have had 2 twins, hd & sd pressure plates.

They dont like being stuck in traffic situations in a hilly area. The thin steel plate warps quickly for me p/n PP02. Once this warps, it becomes difficult to get into gear when idling cold. the clutch just draps a bit, despite chasing the release point with the adj. rod.

I will be pulling my current twin soon.

CaptainSquirts Jan 29, 2018 07:11 AM

ACT HDSS. I Have 340 torque and my last act 6 puck one lasted over 60k miles(with a nice chunk of launches, a lot of slipping my end which probably could've gotten a lot more miles out of the clutch if I didn't suck at it).

Pal215 Jan 29, 2018 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC (Post 11800746)

They dont like being stuck in traffic situations in a hilly area. The thin steel plate warps quickly for me p/n PP02. Once this warps, it becomes difficult to get into gear when idling cold. the clutch just draps a bit, despite chasing the release point with the adj. rod.

100% True. I have a wicked uphill on ramp next to my work. With my triple disk in traffic, the clutch gets loud and very rough with engagement. Once it heats up enough it becomes hell to drive in traffic. On the track, however, I love it!

I learned that for DDing a single street disk is best. For drag and track, you can't beat a twin or triple.

LetsGetThisDone Jan 29, 2018 04:01 PM

For a DD car, an ACT HDSS or Comp Stage2 will be fine since you're on the stock motor and torque will be around 400 at the wheels.

Abacus Jan 29, 2018 06:01 PM

I would also agree on a ME2-HDSS for a stock engine or a ME2-HDG6 6 puck if you are going to turn it up down the road. Sprung disk for a street car.
The HDSS is a single disk full face and will drive well.

The ME2-HDG6 is a 6 puck and with proper break in and driving works well for a street clutch. I'm on my third replacement disk with a taller final drive its a nice clutch for an occasional launch and it shifts well.

Bladey Jan 29, 2018 06:56 PM

Me2 HDg6 gets another vote for me, rated to 675ftlb i believe, its sprung and the pedal feel isn't too bad, very usable for a DD and not as loud/irritating as a tiwn.

Nimpoc Feb 8, 2018 08:47 AM

Thanks as always Aby for the real scoop.

Related questions to all:
1. What grease do you recommend for the splines / pivots in the tranny? Seems the urea based stuff from Honda is highly recommended. I have and was planning to use Bendix BL20.
2. What’s the best tranny fluid for those who do get after it? I’ve tried a couple, liked the Mitsubishi 6-speed stuff by far the best for shifting, but TRE recommends Motul, which I’m using. Shifting definitely got worse. I’m also visually noticing wear on 4th gear though, so it’s a trade.

Installing a new HDSS next week.

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC (Post 11800746)