EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Possible timing issue? Fuel issue? Please help (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/747280-possible-timing-issue-fuel-issue-please-help.html)

Evo8nugz Mar 12, 2018 05:30 PM

Possible timing issue? Fuel issue? Please help

Hey guys, I have a 2005 evo 8 that is having some issues starting/idling once warmed up. It's a built motor from buscher ( I bought it from someone who had it built ) the car at the time was always on E85 running a fp black turbo. Making 580whp~

I bought the car. I had it tuned on 91 for the time being with a evo 9 turbo. Same tuner btw. So he knows the car.

Problem im having now, is that I'm told by my tuner that it's " pulling timing " i was told it could be from ****ty gas. I got the car back and it started up and ran fine for a few days and now it seems to only want to start on a cold start. It has no issues at all cranking over during a cold start. But once I've been driving around and I turn it off, no luck getting it to start.

now it wants to die after driving it around when I'm at a stop light.. there isn't any bogging happening and it seems to put every bit of its power down ( 350whp ) while WOT. Nothing feels wrong. the only thing I can think of is the injectors, they're id1000. The car doesn't exactly need them for the power it's making right now. But I figured a tuner would be able to compensate.. i have no idea if that's accurate.

Any ideas? I heard if it's pulling timing then I'll lose power as well and it doesn't feel at all like I'm losing any power

Will E85 wake this ***** back up? It seems the pump gas is hindering my ability to daily this car.

hutch959 Mar 12, 2018 05:53 PM

first off... dont just pour E85 in it to "wake it up".... if it is not tuned for E85, dont run it.

when it wont start when its hot.... if you give it just a little throttle, will it try to crank? like spit and sputter?

Evo8nugz Mar 12, 2018 05:54 PM

lol I know that. I'm saying/asking would a new e85 tune fix these problems.

Evo8nugz Mar 12, 2018 05:56 PM

The only trick that works is unclipping one of my injectors and then starting the car. But I have to give it gas while trying to start it

wht95scort Mar 12, 2018 08:24 PM

Check for codes. Do you have a wideband in the car? If so what are the readings when the car is warm. It's possible the injectors are sticking when warm and not flowing the right amount. Or could be scaled wrong.

Evo8nugz Mar 12, 2018 08:27 PM

Yes and it stays pretty close to 14.5-16.0 at idle and during driving. WOT is around 13.0

also no codes. New plugs.

Evo8nugz Mar 12, 2018 08:28 PM

It's also possible that the injectors need to be cleaned? Hard to say though.

wht95scort Mar 13, 2018 04:31 AM

It's possible. 13.0 af is lean for WOT. It's either injectors a fuel pump or bad tube

hutch959 Mar 13, 2018 06:25 PM

Rich... tune

its flooding when idling.
giving it a little gas is letting some air and and allowing the car to fire up.

with those injectors, it will have to have a good tune in it to not foul the plugs.

Tuxevo Mar 14, 2018 07:33 AM

I agree with the above post. Definitely need to have the tune gone through. The ecu wouldn't pull timing at idle unless you have knock there, and that would be indicative of a bigger issue.

I'd suggest starting with making sure your injectors are properly scaled and dialed in, your BISS and idle stepper table are set properly and your timing map is within an acceptable range.
Are you on SD?

Biggiesacks Mar 14, 2018 09:12 AM

boost leak test? I would be willing to bet there are a bunch of things leaking in the Throttle body.

wild buff-evo Mar 14, 2018 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by hutch959 (Post 11809473)
Rich... tune

with those injectors, it will have to have a good tune in it to not foul the plugs.

My bet is this is your issue ^
I just resolved this same problem. Car would start cold fine but would not want to start again when warm and would have alot of issues when coming to a stop/ idling until the car was at full operating temp.
Not sure what ECU you are using, but it does sound like you need a better tune. Do you get alot of idle hunt?

RightSaid fred Mar 14, 2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959 (Post 11809473)
Rich... tune

Originally Posted by Evo8nugz (Post 11809264)
Yes and it stays pretty close to 14.5-16.0 at idle and during driving. WOT is around 13.0

Those 2 statements contradict each other.

2006EvoIXer Mar 14, 2018 01:56 PM

Do you have a rewired fuel pump? If you do, your idle fuel pressure would be too high without an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to drop it back to 43psi with vacuum line disconnected (about 35 psi with it connected).

And 13.0 AFR with 91 octane doesn't give you any wiggle room. Many safe tunes aim for 11.5-11.8 unless the UEGO sensor was mounted at tailpipe when tuning (I think tuners aim for 12.0-12.3 there).

RightSaid fred Mar 14, 2018 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11809651)
(about 35 psi with it connected).

33PSI is what it was before you broke it.