EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Evo 8 crank won't make full rotation (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/748663-evo-8-crank-wont-make-full-rotation.html)

Evo_8_power May 14, 2018 09:44 AM

Evo 8 crank won't make full rotation

The other day while under WOT I could feel the evo make a noise like a belt fell off then it died and I rolled into a gas station. The car would even try and turn over after that. You could here the starter trying to run but it wasn't turning the flywheel. I got back home and found that it had snapped the balance shaft belt off. And I couldn't turn the crank shaft by hang. It will only turn a little in either direction then get hung up. So I took all the timing components off to make sure there wasn't any belt left jamming something up and there wasn't. The crank still won't turn. I also drained the oil to see if there was any metal shaving and there wasn't so I don't think it blew a piston but it still might have. I'm just wondering if anybody here has seen or heard anything like this before. Thank you for your time

wht95scort May 14, 2018 09:58 AM

You most likely bent valves and that's what your hitting when you are trying to spin the crank.

2006EvoIXer May 14, 2018 10:25 AM

Stick a borescope down your spark plug holes and look inside. You shoyld have been able to turn it backwards (which you're not supposed to doand I forgot why). So if it won't turn in either direction, something is wedging the pistons somewhere. Post some photos of cam positions and crank so we can see what you're seeing.

LetsGetThisDone May 14, 2018 10:44 AM

Did the balance shaft belt take the timing belt with it? If so, there's your answer..

barneyb May 14, 2018 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11821344)
Did the balance shaft belt take the timing belt with it? If so, there's your answer..

That, or the timing belt could have jumped a few teeth when the balance belt ran through it.

2006EvoIXer May 14, 2018 11:50 AM

Doesn't explain how block is seized in both directions.

barneyb May 14, 2018 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11821355)
Doesn't explain how block is seized in both directions.

If in fact pistons are hitting valves and turning the crank clockwise hits valves, turning counterclockwise will also hit valves. Also, its not unusual for a valve head to break off, fall and embed its self in a piston.

LetsGetThisDone May 14, 2018 12:21 PM

If timing is off far enough for valves to hit, they bend, and then they usually hang open enough to not allow the piston to go past a certain point.

barneyb May 14, 2018 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11821364)
If timing is off far enough for valves to hit, they bend, and then they usually hang open enough to not allow the piston to go past a certain point.

I hate it when people are better at explaining things than I am but yessss.

2006EvoIXer May 14, 2018 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb (Post 11821365)
I hate it when people are better at explaining things than I am but yessss.

:lol: yes, that gets old after a while.
valves can hang open but I thought there is a good 1/4 turn of crank before other set of pistons would come up to nake contact with valves. OP didn't say how much in each direction he turned to turn crank. I assumed it was maybe 5 degrees. My bad.{thumbup}

Evo_8_power May 14, 2018 03:08 PM

That might make sense that it's a valve. I was gonna pull the oil pan but I guess I should pull the head and check instead. I will give an update on it as soon as I get it ripped off

Evo_8_power May 14, 2018 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11821344)

No it didn't take the timing belt with it. It actually all looked good when I checked it. And right now all the belts are off of it and the crank still won't turn. Like everybody said it will turn a quarter turn in either direction the gets hung up

2006EvoIXer May 14, 2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Evo_8_power (Post 11821393)

No it didn't take the timing belt with it. It actually all looked good when I checked it. And right now all the belts are off of it and the crank still won't turn. Like everybody said it will turn a quarter turn in either direction the gets hung up

Is your timing marks off? Cams probably a few teeth behind crank?

wht95scort May 14, 2018 05:51 PM

You can remove just the cams and recheck. With the cams out all valves should be closed/sealed. If they are bent you still won't be able to spin the crank and then the head will need to come off.

Evo_8_power May 14, 2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by wht95scort (Post 11821418)
You can remove just the cams and recheck. With the cams out all valves should be closed/sealed. If they are bent you still won't be able to spin the crank and then the head will need to come off.

thats a real good idea guys. Awesome thanks. I'll start there. May be able to get it apart tomorrow or the next day and I'll give an update