EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Evo 8 FP Red Install Question (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/749799-evo-8-fp-red-install-question.html)

Evo8MyMoney Jul 10, 2018 01:17 PM

Evo 8 FP Red Install Question

Just got my brand new mhi FP red and am gonna put in on after work over the next couple days. I don't get off til 10pm so Its hard to get time to wrench.
My question is, can the turbo and 02 housing be removed without removing the manifold, I just put a really nice manifold on the car a couple months ago and I dont want to take it back off because number one its a pain because of the size and routing of the runners and it would save time and I wont have to get a new manifold gasket if the turbo will have enough room to come out once the radiator is out of the way.
I was thinking maybe it will be able to roll up and out towards the driver side where the air intake usually is but I was wondering if anyone on here had done so before.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Ready to make some power!!!

2006EvoIXer Jul 10, 2018 01:23 PM

You can try by pulling off downpipe/LICP and then coolant/oil lines and couplers before the 4 turbo/manifold nuts & bolts. If you take out your radiator, you should have plenty of room. Why don't you think you can reuse your new manilfold gasket?

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2018 01:53 PM

It'll come out. Just remove the down pipe and radiator (I remove the radiator when removing the turbo regardless).

blackline Jul 10, 2018 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11830217)
It'll come out. Just remove the down pipe and radiator (I remove the radiator when removing the turbo regardless).

+1 this is also how I got mine out....Also, I added some anti-seize just incase..

Evo8MyMoney Jul 10, 2018 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11830217)

Thanks guys, I was really wanting to try and slip it out the driver side top once all the other stuff is out of the way, Im going to try and do it that way first and if not ill pull the downpipe.
And yea I was definitely going to pull the radiator, dont wanna hurt my shiny mishimoto.

Evo8MyMoney Jul 10, 2018 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11830215)
You can try by pulling off downpipe/LICP and then coolant/oil lines and couplers before the 4 turbo/manifold nuts & bolts. If you take out your radiator, you should have plenty of room. Why don't you think you can reuse your new manilfold gasket?

Sorry just noticed your question. Im sure that it would be fine but its just always been a practice of mine anytime I pull something like that to go ahead and replace it, and with an $1100 manifold and near 3K turbo setup I don't want any leaks.

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2018 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Evo8MyMoney
Thanks guys, I was really wanting to try and slip it out the driver side top once all the other stuff is out of the way, Im going to try and do it that way first and if not ill pull the downpipe.
And yea I was definitely going to pull the radiator, dont wanna hurt my shiny mishimoto.

It still goes to the driver side and comes out the top, the DP would just be in the way to rotate the turbo out.

Evo8MyMoney Jul 10, 2018 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11830304)
It still goes to the driver side and comes out the top, the DP would just be hot out if the way to rotate the turbo out.

Okay awesome I was hoping that was what you meant.