EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   FP 71HTA questions for Evo 9 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/750312-fp-71hta-questions-evo-9-a.html)

Nikoli707 Aug 8, 2018 05:15 PM

FP 71HTA questions for Evo 9

2006 evo 9 se 5 speed 68xxx miles. Megan 02 housing, megan downpipe, megan test pipe, hks catback. Hks intake, hks ssqv bov, grimspeed 3 port. Also boost and AFR guage, though i need to get a bung welded up and wire in the aem afr. I will be adding a wally 255 and ID1050X injectors, both are on the way. At this point, im debating adding the 71hta before i go ahead with a tune. The car is oem tune right now. I will be using cali 91 octane with a bottle of booster each tank. There are no e85 stations around me and the nearest is 45miles/1 hour away... but maybe in the future if it becomes more accessible.
http://www.forcedperformance.net/PROD/2001020.html

I see it is $799 directly from FP. Is that all i need? I already have the whole manifold/turbo out of the vehicle. At this point if it is just as simple as bolting the 71hta in and enjoying the small power upgrade, im thinking i should just bite the bullet and do it. I mean, i should be able to get a pretty penny for my stock evo9 turbo right? Am i missing something(parts) or anything i should be doing before/after this? Do i really need the inline oil filter kit or should i just get a different vendors oil kit?

I have no idea what horsepower or speed im going for, i just kinda want to not have to touch the car ever again. I know that is wishful thinking, but im sure i would be happy with the performance much below what im probably going to end up with anyway. If i made 400whp i would be very happy. Thanks, your help will always be much appreciated.

MinusPrevious Aug 8, 2018 07:51 PM

Yeah, more than a few of us run that 71HTA. I didnt order the oil line, but used a new gasket at that location

You will need to run E85 to hit that Dyno Jet 400 mark

With stock cams, you will be at 350 WHP range on 91

You need a 3 port boost solenoid so you can adjust boost through ECU

deylag Aug 8, 2018 09:57 PM

Yea the turbo will need the OEM Evo 9 compressor housing to fit the HKS intake. This is a supercore meaning you are paying for the CHRA only. You will need the OEM hotside from your OEM Evo 9 turbo. After these two items are installed it will be a bolt on turbo.

I strongly recommend installing the AFR gauge as this will greatly help your tuner dial in the turbo since after it is installed you will need a retune.

grillpt Aug 9, 2018 12:32 PM

All the HTA71's come with the larger compressor housing now as I understand it. If that's indeed the case, you'll also need the 84mm intake pipe also.

Nikoli707 Aug 9, 2018 05:13 PM

Yes i do have the grimspeed 3 port ebc and the aem afr kit. I just haven't installed them yet.

Originally Posted by grillpt (Post 11834474)
All the HTA71's come with the larger compressor housing now as I understand it. If that's indeed the case, you'll also need the 84mm intake pipe also.

It does say it has an 84mm housing, so where do i source the correct intake pipe to fit my hks intake?
EDIT: nvm, i see it on the FP website, i should just get that if i pull the trigger.

If i have all listed parts installed, turbo back exhaust, intake, plus the 71hta.... minus the 3 port ebc, 255 wally, and 1050x injectors... the car should run though right? i mean at least pass smog i would assume. Since the cali smog test it as idle and free revving holding 2500rpm, it really wont engage the turbo. And i should in theory be able to limp the car along to the tuner as long as i stay out of full boost right?

MinusPrevious Aug 9, 2018 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nikoli707 (Post 11834507)
Yes i do have the grimspeed 3 port ebc and the aem afr kit. I just haven't installed them yet.

It does say it has an 84mm housing, so where do i source the correct intake pipe to fit my hks intake?
EDIT: nvm, i see it on the FP website, i should just get that if i pull the trigger.

If i have all listed parts installed, turbo back exhaust, intake, plus the 71hta.... minus the 3 port ebc, 255 wally, and 1050x injectors... the car should run though right? i mean at least pass smog i would assume. Since the cali smog test it as idle and free revving holding 2500rpm, it really wont engage the turbo. And i should in theory be able to limp the car along to the tuner as long as i stay out of full boost right?

I ordered the 84mm FP intake & it fits just perfect. Because its silicone, you will not get any spool sound. I would have preferred a metal pipe (i like that sound)

Yeah, you can do your installations & gently drive it to the turner (providing its not too far away). Stay out of boost all together. Stay in vacuum mode!

2006EvoIXer Aug 10, 2018 09:12 AM

If you want to sell your 9 turbo, then buy a rebuilt 71HTA with a turbine housing. And use OEM oil supply from head since you don't need oil feed line from oil filter housing for this turbo. Do boost leak test after turbo is installed and check all couplers, hoses, and especially the throttle body seals. Install fuel pump but not injectors at home. Bring some tools to pop in injectors when you're at tuner. Don't put anything into your fuel tank except for the worst 91 gas you could ever run. For me, I filled up with Costco gas. Lol
If you have your car tuned to 91+octane booster, what happens when you forget to add that additive? It is tough enough for tuners to keep knock out after dyno tune since conditions are different when you're racing (usually hotter at the track). Octane booster should be used as insurance for bad tank of gas.

SnailSpeed Aug 10, 2018 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11834570)
If you want to sell your 9 turbo, then buy a rebuilt 71HTA with a turbine housing. And use OEM oil supply from head since you don't need oil feed line from oil filter housing for this turbo. Do boost leak test after turbo is installed and check all couplers, hoses, and especially the throttle body seals. Install fuel pump but not injectors at home. Bring some tools to pop in injectors when you're at tuner. Don't put anything into your fuel tank except for the worst 91 gas you could ever run. For me, I filled up with Costco gas. Lol
If you have your car tuned to 91+octane booster, what happens when you forget to add that additive? It is tough enough for tuners to keep knock out after dyno tune since conditions are different when you're racing (usually hotter at the track). Octane booster should be used as insurance for bad tank of gas.

Not sure about your costco but it seems that costco fuel is comparable to other top tier fuels at least from my experience. I always fuel up at costco and since i'm self tuned I actually compared costco fuel to the shell and chevron stations here and mileage is pretty much identical. I am able to run the same boost/timing/air fuel ration on costco gas as I am able to on other fuels, If I try to bump up the timing it knocks but then it knocks the same amount on chevron and shell. Thats just my experience with my local costco gas station but I'm up in Washington state.

2006EvoIXer Aug 11, 2018 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by SnailSpeed (Post 11834584)
Not sure about your costco but it seems that costco fuel is comparable to other top tier fuels at least from my experience. I always fuel up at costco and since i'm self tuned I actually compared costco fuel to the shell and chevron stations here and mileage is pretty much identical. I am able to run the same boost/timing/air fuel ration on costco gas as I am able to on other fuels, If I try to bump up the timing it knocks but then it knocks the same amount on chevron and shell. Thats just my experience with my local costco gas station but I'm up in Washington state.

I've always thought of them as Arco because they're 40 cents / gallon cheaper than local gas stations. I used to only fill up at 76 unless I can't find one in time where I settled for Shell or Chevron. That's awesome if Costco gas is on par with Shell and Chevron! Thanks!

kaj Aug 11, 2018 09:53 AM

You're gonna love the turbo. I went on their site to buy another ,but I see they are $100 more than they used to be. I couldn't bring myself to click LOL

SnailSpeed Aug 11, 2018 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11834690)
I've always thought of them as Arco because they're 40 cents / gallon cheaper than local gas stations. I used to only fill up at 76 unless I can't find one in time where I settled for Shell or Chevron. That's awesome if Costco gas is on par with Shell and Chevron! Thanks!

Thats what I used to think to based on price alone. But then one day I was out of fuel and and costco was the closest station lol. I had my laptop with me so I did a pull and made sure there wasnt any knock, logs came back clean back to back. I dont know if all costco stations are all the same quality tho, sorry for going off topic lol.

2006EvoIXer Aug 12, 2018 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11834697)
You're gonna love the turbo. I went on their site to buy another ,but I see they are $100 more than they used to be. I couldn't bring myself to click LOL

we have a lot of holidays coming up.;)

kaj Aug 12, 2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11834778)
we have a lot of holidays coming up.;)

If they drop the price to what it used to be, I'll be picking one up, no doubt. $850ish, after shipping is beyond my "fun per $" limit :lol: For $750, it was perfect. Now.. I'd just rather stay stock and not have to go back to the FP silicone intake and other stuff (because I live in CA).