EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Modify Evo 9 Turbo or Evo 6 Turbo with Garett components (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/750562-modify-evo-9-turbo-evo-6-turbo-garett-components.html)

ThaiEvo666 Aug 24, 2018 11:08 PM

Modify Evo 9 Turbo or Evo 6 Turbo with Garett components

Hi
I have been looking for options to upgrade my turbo. I have an evo 6 running a evo 9 turbo. I still have the evo 6 turbo charger. If I had the money I would get the FP Green, but the import tax is huge so im looking for alternative.

Mods:
2.0L
1000 injectors
programmable ecu
full upgrade exhaust
evo 9 turbo
forged rods, pistons, main bearing, rod bearing
272 cams (GT)
arp head/main bolts/studs
thicker head gasket (Cosworth)
Upgraded fuel rail and 255 fuel pump
Running E85.
I guess im around 420hp now

My goal is 500-550 hp with plenty of mid-range power for street use.

I contacted a local turbo shop (in Thailand) and asked what my options are.

Their suggestion is to "You can use your existing 9 housing, it is bigger than EVO 6. I can supply you the Garrett Core with Evo 9 compressor and turbine housing." - he's referring to GT3076R components

I am in Thailand, turbos are more expensive here. The price for this he's quoting is $1100 and says I don't need to modify manifold or anything.

I was also looking at GT26-660, to buy the full unit. I guess I can't modify my Evo 9 turbo with housing with that, but what about Evo 6 turbo which I still have? Could I modify either for GT26-660. Or should I buy the GT26-660 full unit and install that. If so, what other stuff do I need like manifold or waste gate?

Please can you give some thoughts on what I should get, considering performance and price and reliability. Thanks

Thanks

kpt6 Aug 25, 2018 12:04 PM

I am not much help here, but from what I know, the GT3076R is a disappointment if you think it'll be a good spooler because it is mismatched. Otherwise, Garrett stuff is usually pretty solid.

WRC-LVR Aug 26, 2018 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ThaiEvo666 (Post 11836411)
Hi
I have been looking for options to upgrade my turbo. I have an evo 6 running a evo 9 turbo. I still have the evo 6 turbo charger. If I had the money I would get the FP Green, but the import tax is huge so im looking for alternative.

Mods:
2.0L
1000 injectors
programmable ecu
full upgrade exhaust
evo 9 turbo
272 cams (GT)
Running E85.

Their suggestion is to "You can use your existing 9 housing, it is bigger than EVO 6. I can supply you the Garrett Core with Evo 9 compressor and turbine housing." - he's referring to GT3076R components

I am in Thailand, turbos are more expensive here. The price for this he's quoting is $1100 and says I don't need to modify manifold or anything.

I was also looking at GT26-660, to buy the full unit. I guess I can't modify my Evo 9 turbo with housing with that, but what about Evo 6 turbo which I still have? Could I modify either for GT26-660. Or should I buy the GT26-660 full unit and install that. If so, what other stuff do I need like manifold or waste gate?

Please can you give some thoughts on what I should get, considering performance and price and reliability. Thanks

Thanks

You might try the 71 HTA center section from FP. that is inexpensive uses teh stock cold side housing and 10.5 hotside & flows 50 lbs air compared to the 44*46 of the 9 turbo keeping the very fast spool.I would go with the 84 mmcold side housing thought . Lot of USA guys use this

ThaiEvo666 Aug 27, 2018 06:32 AM

So here in Thailand we only get Garett and Precision stuff.
I have both an evo 6 turbo and evo 9 turbo

I want around 500hp (E85) focus on midrange power, quick spool etc

What can I do? Modify my evo 6 or 9 charger? if so with what?

Or do I buy a small Garett turbo and pay out for manifold etc

Evo8life Aug 27, 2018 11:10 AM

Yes you can build ur existing turbo you can get a tdo6Hr 67x58mm turbine shaft from kinugawa and get a gt 3076R 11 blades billet comp wheel from them too this would get you between 500-550whp turbo on e85
you will need a good machine shop to do the housing job for bigger wheels without cracking them.
this turbo will be bigger then an fp red

Evo8cy Aug 28, 2018 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ThaiEvo666 (Post 11836411)
Hi

Mods:
2.0L
1000 injectors
programmable ecu
full upgrade exhaust
evo 9 turbo
272 cams (GT)
Running E85.

Thanks

You cannot use the garrett chra assembly and wheels with your oem evo compressor and exhaust housings. The housings are bolted to the garrett core, while on the oem chra they are on a v-band clamp connection and spring ring respectively. Also the garrett gt3076r wheels are normal rotation, the oem ones are reverse rotation, and so are the housings.

The other issue is, if you buy bigger reverse rotation wheels and have the housings machined to fit the new wheels, the existing oem internals of the chra will not be able to handle the extra thrusting loading, and the turbo will fail. You need to buy whatever wheels sizes you want and have them built the turbo with heavy duty components, and convert it to 360 thrust.

I personally build my own turbos, I machine and port the housings also, in fact I'm working on an experimental modification on the oem chra backplate which will help the air distribution, velocity and speed, and amplify the properties of the exducer. Not finished and put aside at the moment, but will continue on it at some point in the future.

Check out MAMBA Turbochargers and related components for anything you need.

Marios

ThaiEvo666 Aug 28, 2018 11:23 PM

I am confused

This is what he is suggesting...

"you are using stock exhaust manifold, which is reverse rotation. To use GT3076 ball bearing, you need to modify quite a lot such as changing new exhaust manifold or header, all the inlet/outlet pipe. To make think easier for 500 hp power, I can suggest that we can change Garrett GTX3076 Core and put into the existing compressor and turbine housing. Then, you don’t have to change any piping or manifold except oil inlet, water inlet / outlet only."

So this is a bad idea/can't be done?

ThaiEvo666 Aug 28, 2018 11:27 PM

He also says "Yes, I have a few EVO car running in circuit racing. Using the upgrade Garrett ball bearing Core in the original EVO9 housing doing 540 whp at 2.2 bar. The turbo spool very fast in EVO 9 turbine housing."

Im confused!

Evo8cy Aug 29, 2018 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by ThaiEvo666 (Post 11836874)
I am confused

This is what he is suggesting...

"you are using stock exhaust manifold, which is reverse rotation. To use GT3076 ball bearing, you need to modify quite a lot such as changing new exhaust manifold or header, all the inlet/outlet pipe. To make think easier for 500 hp power, I can suggest that we can change Garrett GTX3076 Core and put into the existing compressor and turbine housing. Then, you don’t have to change any piping or manifold except oil inlet, water inlet / outlet only."

So this is a bad idea/can't be done?

Forget what he is suggesting , he is ignorant and wrong. Exhaust manifold, which ever type, has nothing to do with the rotation way of the turbocharger's rotating assembly, it only has to do with the turbine housing you are using, and the size of the turbo in relation to the rest of the engine setup.
You cannot use the garrett gtx3076r chra with the the stock oem housings.

You need to buy reverse rotation wheels and heavy duty chra components, have the housings machined and build a bigger oem stock frame turbo, or go to a shop that know what they are doing.

Marios

ThaiEvo666 Aug 29, 2018 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8cy (Post 11836883)
Forget what he is suggesting , he is ignorant and wrong. Exhaust manifold, which ever type, has nothing to do with the rotation way of the turbocharger's rotating assembly, it only has to do with the turbine housing you are using, and the size of the turbo in relation to the rest of the engine setup.
You cannot use the garrett gtx3076r chra with the the stock oem housings.

You need to buy reverse rotation wheels and heavy duty chra components, have the housings machined and build a bigger oem stock frame turbo, or go to a shop that know what they are doing.

Marios

He said that about the manifold because I was also looking at buying a completely different turbo which would need new manifold.

isn't gtx3076R a reverse rotation "R" at the end? You are saying it can't go into the stock Evo 9 turbo housing as its not strong enough basically?

Evo8cy Aug 29, 2018 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ThaiEvo666 (Post 11836946)
He said that about the manifold because I was also looking at buying a completely different turbo which would need new manifold.

isn't gtx3076R a reverse rotation "R" at the end? You are saying it can't go into the stock Evo 9 turbo housing as its not strong enough basically?

Stating that an exhaust manifold has to do with way of rotation of a turbo is wrong, no matter any other reason he suggested a new manifold. The "R" in garrett turbo naming, means "racing".

No, I am saying that the garrett chra cannot be mated to the oem mitsi housings, because garrett uses a different way of attaching their chra to their housings than what mitsubishi does. It has nothing to do with longevity and strength of the chra. You will need though to build the oem evo 9 chra with stronger internals, if you want the turbo to last on the new bigger wheels.

To make things as simple as possible,
forget the garrett core, you cannot put it into the oem housings, wheels are also the wrong rotation,
build your evo 9 turbo with ugraded chra components,
buy bigger reverse rotation wheels,
machine the evo 9 housings for bigger wheels.

Marios

ThaiEvo666 Sep 2, 2018 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8cy (Post 11836974)
Stating that an exhaust manifold has to do with way of rotation of a turbo is wrong, no matter any other reason he suggested a new manifold. The "R" in garrett turbo naming, means "racing".

No, I am saying that the garrett chra cannot be mated to the oem mitsi housings, because garrett uses a different way of attaching their chra to their housings than what mitsubishi does. It has nothing to do with longevity and strength of the chra. You will need though to build the oem evo 9 chra with stronger internals, if you want the turbo to last on the new bigger wheels.

To make things as simple as possible,
forget the garrett core, you cannot put it into the oem housings, wheels are also the wrong rotation,
build your evo 9 turbo with ugraded chra components,
buy bigger reverse rotation wheels,
machine the evo 9 housings for bigger wheels.

Marios

This is what he is saying

"don’t confuse Center housing rotation assembly or CHRA is the same meaning as Core. We will remove EVO 9 stock CHRA and replace with Garrett GTX3076R CHRA but some modification and machining need to be done."

he's talking about reverse rotation Garett GTX3076R

Also he's recommending " Garrett intercooler, size 12” x 18” x 3”"

Evo8cy Sep 2, 2018 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by ThaiEvo666 (Post 11837474)
This is what he is saying

"don’t confuse Center housing rotation assembly or CHRA is the same meaning as Core. We will remove EVO 9 stock CHRA and replace with Garrett GTX3076R CHRA but some modification and machining need to be done."

he's talking about reverse rotation Garett GTX3076R

Also he's recommending " Garrett intercooler, size 12” x 18” x 3”"

Go to another shop, he is talking crap, chra and core is the same thing. A chra is the housing with its internals, either ball bearing or journal bearing, and the wheels, that's why it is called chra, the center housing with its rotating assembly. Now if he is referring to just the internal components, the bearing system parts, then he should say the bearing system parts and not core.Secondly, the garrett journal bearing system does not fit in the mitsubishi center housing, as this is what he is telling you basically, because the journal bearing system of the garrett chra is made for standard rotation wheels not reverse, and it also has other differences in its parts, such as the thrust bearing spacer and collar, and he will gain nothing even if there was a way to modify the oem center housing to fit the garrett journal bearing system. If he is referring to the garrett ball bearing system, again it does not fit, and the mitsubishi center housing cannot be modified in a way so to accept it, he needs to have a ball bearing system made especially for the mitsubishi center housing.

Now if he is thinking of getting a brand new gen 2 reverse rotation ball bearing CHRA with wheels from Garrett and he believes he can mate the mitsubishi housings on that, tell him he can forget it, as the garrett housings are bolted on the garrett chra, where the mitsubishi ones are joined on it with a spring and v band respectively, I've already said this on a previous post, there are also other differences.

Intercooler size depends on what turbo size and power you will be running.

Marios