EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Evo 9 mr transmission upgrade routes? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/750835-evo-9-mr-transmission-upgrade-routes.html)

twinkie_mayne Sep 13, 2018 03:03 PM

Evo 9 mr transmission upgrade routes?

hello all!

initially i was going to send in my trans to shep and have them rebuild and do a 5sp conversion. After a few email exchanges turns out i was confused(maybe the wording was off on their site as well) and that i could only get my 6sp rebuilt and the only way to do a 5sp conversion was to buy a used 5speed and rebuild it or buy a new 5sp.

I want to ask what you guys have done? If i have my current 5 speed rebuilt will it be just as weak as it would be brand new? I will only be using my car for the streets, no plans to be launching the car, no tracking. Only intend to make 5XXwhp max. Sitting at 370whp right now but who knows how ill feel in the future. 6sp seems to be fine right now but grinds in 4th sometimes. Not sure if its due to clutch and it locking out sometime or bad synchro/gears.

Suggestions?

LetsGetThisDone Sep 13, 2018 03:44 PM

Having it rebuilt won't make it any stronger. They seem to not like much more than 400ish wtq, and heat from road racing. Sounds like you should be fine with a refreshed 6 speed.

If you want a 5 speed, I suggest go to Jon at TRE if you want the best trans available for your evo.

MinusPrevious Sep 13, 2018 04:04 PM

I agree w/Sean, a quality rebuild / refresh would do you well. Im still running a full stock 5 speed (ACT clutch) which has seen a large number of track day sessions

BTW, good to have you on the boards

:beer:

Pal215 Sep 13, 2018 04:12 PM

I agree with the two gentlemen above. Now if you must keep your 6 speed, there is a strengthening option which can be found here:

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/c...-trans-service

With that in mind, I wouldn't push it past 550trq.

llDemonll Sep 13, 2018 04:53 PM

Rebuild the MR

I had a 500+whp car recently that I was doing work on for a friend, he's making 650whp on race gas and hasn't had issues yet

the 6-speed is SO MUCH NICER to shift than the 5 speed. it's smooth and how a transmission should feel. the 5 speed is stronger but honestly sucks for driving "feel" in a non-racecar

kaj Sep 13, 2018 05:08 PM

The 6spd is a better trans, but they are torque limited to about 350ftlbs. The bummer is they are so expensive to have even an oem rebuild done. I'm currently putting in a 5spd until I can afford to upgrade my 6.
I say use yours until breaks, then swap. No sense in additional work, if you don't have to, especially at your power level.

hutch959 Sep 13, 2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 11838893)
Rebuild the MR

I had a 500+whp car recently that I was doing work on for a friend, he's making 650whp on race gas and hasn't had issues yet

the 6-speed is SO MUCH NICER to shift than the 5 speed. it's smooth and how a transmission should feel. the 5 speed is stronger but honestly sucks for driving "feel" in a non-racecar

ive had 6 speeds and 5 speeds... stock. and you are correct... the 6 speed does shift alot nicer.

however, the 5 speed in my car now is a stage 2 jacks with all the extras... and wow..
by far the best shifting car ive ever driven.... , this tranny shifts incredible.

twinkie_mayne Sep 13, 2018 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11838886)
Having it rebuilt won't make it any stronger. They seem to not like much more than 400ish wtq, and heat from road racing. Sounds like you should be fine with a refreshed 6 speed.

If you want a 5 speed, I suggest go to Jon at TRE if you want the best trans available for your evo.

lol this was kinda confusing? so keep the 6 speed and just do an oem rebuild?

but yeah, dont plan to make more than 5xxwhp. so an oem 6sp rebuild it is?
dunno how my wife would feel about a $3500 6sp strengthening lol

twinkie_mayne Sep 13, 2018 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 11838893)
Rebuild the MR

rebuild my 6speed with jacks performance rebuild?

boostedwrx Sep 14, 2018 05:57 AM

You’ll get 10 different opinions. If you don’t want to keep rebuilding the 6th speed get the 5 speed. Shep will return your calls and deliver a unit when he says. TRE on the other hand, good luck getting him to do anything.

MinusPrevious Sep 14, 2018 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 11838951)
You’ll get 10 different opinions. If you don’t want to keep rebuilding the 6th speed get the 5 speed. Shep will return your calls and deliver a unit when he says. TRE on the other hand, good luck getting him to do anything.

If i had the patience / time, I would certainly choose TRE, but its clear that they have a full customer base & are not that interested in bringing more business than they can handle.

twinkie_mayne Sep 14, 2018 07:06 AM

Feelin like i should return my mr and get a gsr lol

boostedwrx Sep 14, 2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by twinkie_mayne (Post 11838959)
Feelin like i should return my mr and get a gsr lol

I took my 6 speed out at 13k miles for a 5 speed. It’s still sitting on garage floor and can turn back into an “MR” whenever ;)

Youll be fine!

kaj Sep 14, 2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 11838951)
. TRE on the other hand, good luck getting him to do anything.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11838954)
If i had the patience / time, I would certainly choose TRE, but its clear that they have a full customer base & are not that interested in bringing more business than they can handle.

That had been my experience. I waited three weeks for a reply, before sending to Shep. It's good for him that he's keeping busy, but bad for new customers. Hopefully that base keeps him going.

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 11838983)

I took my 6 speed out at 13k miles for a 5 speed. It’s still sitting on garage floor and can turn back into an “MR” whenever ;)

Youll be fine!

You should sell it to me. 😁

Pal215 Sep 14, 2018 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie_mayne (Post 11838914)

dunno how my wife would feel about a $3500 6sp strengthening lol

Yeah, I can relate to that lol. She always pulls the "We need to save for retirement" card. We are not even 28 yet and we both have 401k and pension plans.

Not to derail this thread, but a simple savings account will NEVER last. Residual income is the key to a good retirement.