EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Built motor longevity (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/752073-built-motor-longevity.html)

Aidanlee1 Dec 2, 2018 04:36 AM

Built motor longevity

What's up everyone, i am thinking about building my Evo 8 and was was concerned about the longevity of it. The tuner i have is really well known and would build the whole car. With spirited driving and a moderate tune how long does a engine normally last on average that is built. What are the best built motors for longevity, id like to have it as a street car daily. I have owned a few X's and IX but i never went further than bolt-ons. I live in northern VA and have a really good tuner who ill also ask for there opinion but i'd like to here other peoples as well. I'd like to be around 500whp on pump. I do have a great access to E85 though as well.

Thanks

MinusPrevious Dec 2, 2018 05:27 AM

Certainly a built motor will likely not have the same level of exactness as the OEM.

Really depends on the build quality (i.e. PTW clearance, crank line boring, decking exactness etc)

Depends on how hard you plan on pushing the motor as well

Just dont think you should expect OEM 100k mile longevity

Starting w/a precisely built short block is the Key IMHO

Teal2nnr Dec 2, 2018 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious (Post 11851180)
Certainly a built motor will likely not have the same level of exactness as the OEM.

Really depends on the build quality (i.e. PTW clearance, crank line boring, decking exactness etc)

Depends on how hard you plan on pushing the motor as well

Just dont think you should expect OEM 100k mile longevity

Starting w/a precisely built short block is the Key IMHO

Completely agree. However, I wouldn't say "exactness". You could build an OEM spec motor with the proper clearances. If done correctly and used at the designed output, the engine would last for a very long time. The issue is, that once you want to start making more power you're going to be generating more heat. More heat, more thermal expansion. More expansion requires more clearance. With this clearance comes a shortened service life. Of course this is just a generalization.

At 500whp and a motor that's been properly built and tuned, I could see it lasting for a long time.

2006EvoIXer Dec 2, 2018 11:55 AM

Most built engines are usually refreshed around 30k miles. If you want it to last longer, keep power in lower range and rarely use your kill mode.

kaj Dec 2, 2018 12:47 PM

You don't need a built motor for 500whp. Are your torque goals high? I ask because most people only care about whp.
A properly tuned/maintained stock short block seems to last a really long time at 500, with none of the expansion/clearance issues ,as mentioned above.

Dallas J Dec 2, 2018 02:08 PM

There is just no way to match what an OEM can do when making the same thing over and over again vs a one off thing. I would never expect a built block to outlive an OEM motor, but it certainly can handle be done to handle loads more power. We are afterall, pushing things far beyond the safety range the OEM has designated.

240Z TwinTurbo Dec 2, 2018 03:52 PM

I went ~65k miles on my 10:1 Curt Brown 2L. I just had Curt build me a 2.15L since my MIVEC gear started clacking. Car was running 500+ whp on pump and revved to 9k.

hutch959 Dec 2, 2018 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 240z twinturbo (Post 11851231)
i went ~65k miles on my 10:1 curt brown 2l. I just had curt build me a 2.15l since my mivec gear started clacking. Car was running 500+ whp on pump and revved to 9k.

nice!

2006EvoIXer Dec 2, 2018 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11851216)
You don't need a built motor for 500whp. Are your torque goals high? I ask because most people only care about whp.
A properly tuned/maintained stock short block seems to last a really long time at 500, with none of the expansion/clearance issues ,as mentioned above.

500whp on pump is either FP Red or Black. With E85, it will be more. By limiting torque by retarding timing, you also sacrifice horsepower in doing so.

Dallas J Dec 2, 2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 240Z TwinTurbo (Post 11851231)
I went ~65k miles on my 10:1 Curt Brown 2L. I just had Curt build me a 2.15L since my MIVEC gear started clacking. Car was running 500+ whp on pump and revved to 9k.

That's some impressive longevity out of that.

kikiturbo Dec 2, 2018 07:02 PM

problem is that the usual forged pistons used are softer than the OE ones and wear more.. plus you run more power, so it will not last as long.. On the other hand I really dont understand how people expect an engine which puts out 300+ HP per litre of capacity to last 150000 miles before refresh..

kaj Dec 2, 2018 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11851256)
500whp on pump is either FP Red or Black. With E85, it will be more. By limiting torque by retarding timing, you also sacrifice horsepower in doing so.

That's why I asked about torque goals. 500whp on a stock engine is doable. Didn't say it would be fun. :lol: I see a LOT of people running FP Blacks just to see 500whp, not caring about anything else. Which is fine, of course. Just sayin'.

2006EvoIXer Dec 2, 2018 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11851273)
That's why I asked about torque goals. 500whp on a stock engine is doable. Didn't say it would be fun. :lol: I see a LOT of people running FP Blacks just to see 500whp, not caring about anything else. Which is fine, of course. Just sayin'.

I see that all the time too. What a waste of a strong turbo and by limiting torque, it makes horsepower look less than it's real potential (not to mention lag). :lol:

2006EvoIXer Dec 2, 2018 11:50 PM

I'm also building a custom Green...it should be good for 400+hhp (hub horsepower on dynapack) on 91 gas (my 71hta made 380). I just hope to get 425-450. And really hoping to get close to 550 on E85. I'm looking at all options to tweak this Green. Lol
Then I'll move to a FP BB Red on steroids. :lol:

kaj Dec 3, 2018 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11851292)
I see that all the time too. What a waste of a strong turbo and by limiting torque, it makes horsepower look less than it's real potential (not to mention lag). :lol:

I guess 500whp is 500whp, but when I see dyno plots where the HP and TQ come so late...I'm like :crap:

​​​​​​yeah, it's safe for the stock shortblock, but *yaaaawn* :lol: