EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Spark plugs heat range choice! (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/752503-spark-plugs-heat-range-choice.html)

Nikoro Jan 3, 2019 10:45 AM

Spark plugs heat range choice!

hello guys. I am about to change my spark plugs on my Evo Ix. My mods are full peripherial with gsc s2. Stock turbo. I 'll replace my stock spark plugs with HKS. I need heat range 8 or 9 ?

LetsGetThisDone Jan 3, 2019 10:51 AM

Get OEM plugs, or NGK OEM replacements. You don't need to change heat range until 7-800whp range..

hutch959 Jan 3, 2019 05:30 PM

NGK... stock temp

kaj Jan 3, 2019 05:52 PM

Oem ngk.

boostedwrx Jan 3, 2019 06:52 PM

OP if you can’t get oem ngk equiv in Greece and can more easily get the hks, get the m35iL.

gqcode Jan 4, 2019 04:12 AM

oem or ngk no need to raise the heat level for the mod you have

Nikoro Jan 4, 2019 04:45 AM

Thanks to all of you guys . I just ordered the HKS #8 heat range. it has the same price as the NGK so i ll try them

llDemonll Jan 4, 2019 08:24 AM

Why ask for advice if you're going to ignore it?

Nikoro Jan 4, 2019 08:57 AM

i didnt ignore it. but i spoke to more people and said if its the same price you can take 1 step colder.is this a problem for you ?

butte Jan 4, 2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 11855132)

How do you know the advice was not considered?

gqcode Jan 7, 2019 10:54 AM

You might not run at an optimum set-up by putting in colder plugs in your engine. If you understand what the heat level of a plug does in the combustion chamber, while your trying to get the maximum hp out of the motor. Plugs might fouled because there are a step too cold. Our car are very sensitive to any mod so I hope it work out for you.

Nikoro Jan 7, 2019 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by gqcode (Post 11855582)
You might not run at an optimum set-up by putting in colder plugs in your engine. If you understand what the heat level of a plug does in the combustion chamber, while your trying to get the maximum hp out of the motor. Plugs might fouled because there are a step too cold. Our car are very sensitive to any mod so I hope it work out for you.

so you are sayin that a colder plug couldnt do the job?

gqcode Jan 7, 2019 12:57 PM

It will not operate in the heat range it was designed for. The colder the plugs the more heat it remove from the chamber. The combustion chamber make the most power at temperature X if you had a colder plugs now you are running under temperature X less desirable condition. Im sure you didn't have no issue with the oem plugs so why change. Just do a little more research on the subject but science and the basic of the heat range remain the same ( transfer heat from combustion chamber to the block). Temperature raise as you make more boost and advance your timing. Its really not about the price of your plugs, it about what work with your set-up and understand the science behind it. Will all learned here, I asked that same question years ago my car didn't like it and wasted my money. I had to research it to understand and it made me better. Were all just trying to help you out but in the end you choose. As I said I hope it work and doesn't hurt your car performance over time.

Nikoro Jan 7, 2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by gqcode (Post 11855607)
It will not operate in the heat range it was designed for. The colder the plugs the more heat it remove from the chamber. The combustion chamber make the most power at temperature X if you had a colder plugs now you are running under temperature X less desirable condition. Im sure you didn't have no issue with the oem plugs so why change. Just do a little more research on the subject but science and the basic of the heat range remain the same ( transfer heat from combustion chamber to the block). Temperature raise as you make more boost and advance your timing. Its really not about the price of your plugs, it about what work with your set-up and understand the science behind it. Will all learned here, I asked that same question years ago my car didn't like it and wasted my money. I had to research it to understand and it made me better. Were all just trying to help you out but in the end you choose. As I said I hope it work and doesn't hurt your car performance over time.

I really appreciate people here because they are in great knowledge that's why I ask you opinions. I 'll maybe change my order to the same hks heat range

LetsGetThisDone Jan 7, 2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11854983)
Get OEM plugs, or NGK OEM replacements. You don't need to change heat range until 7-800whp range..

Originally Posted by hutch959 (Post 11855057)
NGK... stock temp

Originally Posted by kaj (Post 11855061)
Oem ngk.

Originally Posted by gqcode (Post 11855099)
oem or ngk no need to raise the heat level for the mod you have

Originally Posted by Nikoro (Post 11855100)
Thanks to all of you guys . I just ordered the HKS #8 heat range. it has the same price as the NGK so i ll try them

Originally Posted by llDemonll (Post 11855132)

Nothing like an askhole.