EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Another boost creep issue (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/753489-another-boost-creep-issue.html)

blackline Mar 10, 2019 09:31 AM

Another boost creep issue

Originally the car had a Megan o2 housing and I was getting boost creep because the WG opening was too small. I swapped out the stock wg and switched to a STM o2 open dump emlinator and I’m still getting boost creep.

Im not sure what else can cause the creep, I set the wg preload with 2 full turns and still can’t get it to not creep.

Target boost is 25psi but it creep close to 30psi by 6k in 3rd.

I’m not sure what else to do, any ideas?

BBK full turbo
grimspeed 3 port
turbosmart 22psi wg
SD
4 bar map

machoymaru Mar 10, 2019 04:21 PM

Man that sucks from my experience I had my clutch slip and that will make my boost go crazy all the way up to 30 psi. Dont know if this is much help, but I really do hope you fix it and enjoy the Evo.

blackline Mar 10, 2019 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by machoymaru (Post 11864025)
Man that sucks from my experience I had my clutch slip and that will make my boost go crazy all the way up to 30 psi. Dont know if this is much help, but I really do hope you fix it and enjoy the Evo.

I don't think I'm having clutch issues but thank you for that input as any little bit helps.

I connected the wastegate to the jpipe today but i netted the same results. Going to apply air to the WG and see if the arm is moving and now much. Once that's done I'm going to disconnected the wg buckle and check the range of the wg flap. I'll report back soon

2006EvoIXer Mar 10, 2019 09:59 PM

Can't you tune the boost creep down?

blackline Mar 11, 2019 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by 2006EvoIXer (Post 11864051)
Can't you tune the boost creep down?

I’m not sure but running on wastegate pressure netted the same results. I’m going to pressure test the wastegate now

heel2toe Mar 11, 2019 09:58 AM

We discussed this in your other thread but you didn't take my advice. Your target boost is 25# yet you're using a 22# WG spring. You want your WG spring to be around half what your target boost level would be. Put back on the oem gate and try again.

Wicked_X Mar 11, 2019 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by blackline (Post 11864061)

I set the wg preload with 2 full turns and still can’t get it to not creep.

I had to run my turbosmart 18psi actuator to zero preload to help with creep from my MAP o2 housing. With even a little preload it would spike to like 24-25 psi at just wastegate pressure. I would try no preload.

LetsGetThisDone Mar 11, 2019 11:02 AM

You need to put a stock or lower boost WGA on it.

There's really not reason to not just run a stock actuator with only trying to run 25psi of boost.

blackline Mar 11, 2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11864087)
We discussed this in your other thread but you didn't take my advice. Your target boost is 25# yet you're using a 22# WG spring. You want your WG spring to be around half what your target boost level would be. Put back on the oem gate and try again.

You're right but I was just following instruction from my tuner.

Originally Posted by Wicked_X (Post 11864095)
I had to run my turbosmart 18psi actuator to zero preload to help with creep from my MAP o2 housing. With even a little preload it would spike to like 24-25 psi at just wastegate pressure. I would try no preload.

I'll try this also.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11864097)
You need to put a stock or lower boost WGA on it.

There's really not reason to not just run a stock actuator with only trying to run 25psi of boost.

going to slap the stock gate in and see what's going on.

heel2toe Mar 11, 2019 12:58 PM

All good man. Baffled that's what your tuner recommended as it is a pretty elementary concept.

Just throw back on the stock gate and call it a day. I bet that will fix your issue, tuner will need to throw more WGDC into it but no biggie.

And I would not recommend running zero preload. That will promote lazy boost characteristics as there is a good chance the flapper wont even seal with zero preload. I forget how many turns but if you're looking at the arm you want the turnbuckle roughly halfway up, looking like a half moon if that makes sense.

blackline Mar 14, 2019 02:38 PM

Looks like the Turbosmart wastegate is bad. It took 30psi to crack it and 40psi to open the gate 1/4 way, 20psi didn't do anything. Waiting on TS to warranty it. Also, my evo9 wg vacuum port is broken so I can't test with that.

heel2toe Mar 14, 2019 03:07 PM

Strange.are you sure the arm isnt bent and binding somehow? I still think you have way too much spring for the target boost you plan to run. However if the TS WG is like the one for my EFR you can mix and match springs so you should be able to make it work with the right combination of springs. That is assuming its not physically damaged.

Alternatively, I have an IX WG kicking around. PM me is interested...

boostedwrx Mar 14, 2019 06:45 PM

On ethanol? 30psi at 6k sounds good :lol:

Fox_IX Mar 14, 2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 11864568)

This was my first thought as well, what seems to be the issue? :p

blackline Mar 14, 2019 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by heel2toe (Post 11864523)
Strange.are you sure the arm isnt bent and binding somehow? I still think you have way too much spring for the target boost you plan to run. However if the TS WG is like the one for my EFR you can mix and match springs so you should be able to make it work with the right combination of springs. That is assuming its not physically damaged.

Alternatively, I have an IX WG kicking around. PM me is interested...

You can hear it leaking when applying pressure. Once I get it warrantied and still doesn't work correctly I'll PM you :D

Originally Posted by boostedwrx (Post 11864568)

I'm trying to you reach you numbers with the BBK :D

Originally Posted by Fox_IX (Post 11864573)
This was my first thought as well, what seems to be the issue? :p

Not yet, tuning the 93oct map first then the e85...but it will live on ethanol after the tune is done.