EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Tcase rebuilt? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/755163-tcase-rebuilt.html)

evoholic3088 Jul 10, 2019 12:06 AM

Tcase rebuilt?

Hey pepps i had started a post about my back wheels not spinning at the dyno. I found out it was the tcase. I finally dropped it. I open up the tcase and the pinion has all the teeth broken. I called to take it and the charge me $1500. Bit to much if you ask me. So like i said i checkes everything looks good but the pinion. I was wondering if i can just change that and put back together and it will be good to go. No need or adjustment and non of that? Bevause that is what i heard. If it not adjusted it can whine. Is that true? Or just buy the pinion new and well wash everything and put back together.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...8805b8d589.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...0969fd78dd.png
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.evo...6d07a99e80.jpg

MinusPrevious Jul 10, 2019 07:13 AM

Based on that level of failure, i would think a full dis-assembly would be in order. @evoholic3088

From what i can see the Mitsu service manual does not go into that level of disassembly of the T-Case. It only shows the seal replacement procedure

The T-case IMO, is like a Swiss watch & your best bet is to have it rebuilt by Jacks / TRE

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2019 09:11 AM

That transfercase needs a complete rebuild- New Gear set, all bearings, etc.

Send it to TRE and get it done correctly. $1500 is not "too much". You should literally be expecting to spend about that.

Pal215 Jul 10, 2019 10:48 AM

Agreed, $1500 is actually on the lower end for a TC rebuild. Luckily you pulled it yourself and didn't pay extra for that. Usually what happens is there is a base price and then once they inspect it they find everything else that broke or is missing and add to the cost. I'd keep 2500 cash around before you send out the TC to be safe. Same goes for transmissions and rear diffs.

CaptainSquirts Jul 10, 2019 11:00 AM

Itll be north of 1500 if the front diff is damaged, probably a little over a thousand if not. I don't know how your tcase got to that level of destruction without anyone hearing/feeling anything....

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2019 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts (Post 11879325)
Itll be north of 1500 if the front diff is damaged, probably a little over a thousand if not. I don't know how your tcase got to that level of destruction without anyone hearing/feeling anything....

The cries for help and screaming agony was certainly ignored. This failure didn't just "happen" lol

Pal215 Jul 10, 2019 11:31 AM

All it takes is for someone to buy an evo who is unfamiliar with how it is supposed to sound and then go online and read one of those posts that say something like "Evos are noisy cars and just make all kinds of noises naturally" to just completely ignore the problem and obliterate the drivetrain. :lol: :lol:

I have this crazy theory that the quieter your drivetrain is, the more correctly meshed and correctly broken in your gears are. Even crazier? I believe that any oem style transmission, diff, or TC part should sound only as loud as when the car was built new. If it sounds any different than that, i'd be concerned. Clutches are neither here nor there.

evoholic3088 Jul 10, 2019 01:30 PM

Thanks guy ill send it in. Im in california dont. 3 places near me are know for evo stuff Road Race Engineering, Tunning Technology, 51/50 and JPR but last two from what i heard not to reliable. RRE told me 1600 with stronger ring and pinion and that if the housing ita crack they will replace it at no cost because they have tcase there just laying around.
About how it happened. Not sure i got car 3 years ago. But everything was apart in trunk in boxes/crates. I never checked the tcse if it was good or bad i just wanted to have it running. Never heard a pop or nothing so my guess is that it was bad already when i got the car. Tcase oil would come out good. So never ewally checked that

Pal215 Jul 10, 2019 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by evoholic3088 (Post 11879336)
Thanks guy ill send it in. Im in california dont. 3 places near me are know for evo stuff Road Race Engineering, Tunning Technology, 51/50 and JPR but last two from what i heard not to reliable. RRE told me 1600 with stronger ring and pinion and that if the housing ita crack they will replace it at no cost because they have tcase there just laying around.
About how it happened. Not sure i got car 3 years ago. But everything was apart in trunk in boxes/crates. I never checked the tcse if it was good or bad i just wanted to have it running. Never heard a pop or nothing so my guess is that it was bad already when i got the car. Tcase oil would come out good. So never ewally checked that

Hmm, I wonder what gear set RRE uses for it to be a stronger ring and pinion. Everybody has their secret sauce.

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2019 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
Hmm, I wonder what gear set RRE uses for it to be a stronger ring and pinion. Everybody has their secret sauce.

The same Chinese gearset that Jack's and Shep offers most likely.

OP, send the tcase to TRE if you want to know it's done correctly and comes back to you better than a brand new part from the dealer.

CaptainSquirts Jul 10, 2019 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215 (Post 11879337)

Mine from TRE in the invoice said "detailed and shot peened, EVO-7/9, CT9A". Wonder if the "detailed" means the "Gear Detailing" where they round the edges of the gear.

CaptainSquirts Jul 10, 2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11879338)
The same Chinese gearset that Jack's and Shep offers most likely.

I thought they all used OEM ring and pinions. Just checked their websites and they say "OEM Ring and Pinion Gear Set" which would mean they use the same ring and pinion, right?

Pal215 Jul 10, 2019 02:23 PM

Yeah it makes me curious about what's out there. Maybe using crankshaft materials to build the ring and pinion gears would make them last longer. Jacks says that their gear set is a billet one. They had an "indestructible transfer case" package but it looks like they renamed it to "Performance Plus 'Adamantine' T-Case Build Service"

I wonder if someone broke it :lol:

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
I thought they all used OEM ring and pinions. Just checked their websites and they say "OEM Ring and Pinion Gear Set" which would mean they use the same ring and pinion, right?

Hear detailing exactly that. Smoothing edges, rounding the corners, blending imperfections, etc. Minimizing the things that are stress risers and can make it easier for the gear to crack.

Jon also sets up the contact pattern specifically for the cars use. A drag doesn't no get the same setup as a road course car, which doesn't get the same as a pure street car, etc...

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Mine from TRE in the invoice said "detailed and shot peened, EVO-7/9, CT9A". Wonder if the "detailed" means the "Gear Detailing" where they round the edges of the gear.

The Shep and jack's stage 2 is a Chinese gearset that they claim to be better than OEM.

TRE has cars running 8's on the stock gears so I think with proper build up OEM is fine for 99% of cars until you need something custom to break the pinion shaft trying to run 7's.

Pal215 Jul 10, 2019 02:40 PM

I bet there's some dude out there somewhere that is not even on this forum who just has it down better than all of us. He probably has a large successful machine shop with the most advanced tools and equipment and just buys whatever car he wants and immediately over-builds the entire drive line out of exotic and rare materials so that he doesn't have to deal with issues like this. If he is reading this, he's laughing at us right now.