EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   Wheel alignment after clutch install (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/755167-wheel-alignment-after-clutch-install.html)

veilside prius Jul 10, 2019 11:31 AM

Wheel alignment after clutch install

Are wheel alignments typically required after a new clutch install? I've had new clutches in the past where I wasn't recommended to get one and some where it was highly recommended.

MinusPrevious Jul 10, 2019 12:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
@veilside prius Edit: Yeah, what was i thinking? The entire left front suspension comes off including the lower control arms if youre doing the job in your own garage (no lift). Alignment required!
My bad

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2019 12:37 PM

Generally, the subframe is loosened and lowered a bit when doing the clutch in order to get the trans out. So, an alignment is recommended.

hutch959 Jul 10, 2019 06:13 PM

in order to get the half shafts out, you have to remove the coilovers from the hubs...
which means it is now out of alignment.

yes... you will need an alignment.

MinusPrevious Jul 10, 2019 06:24 PM

Watch Paul solo the trans pull

LetsGetThisDone Jul 10, 2019 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

So, he literally disassembled the suspension in that video, which was a lot of extra pointless work. Which would require an alignment.

Biggiesacks Jul 11, 2019 07:32 AM

you can just pop out the ball joints to remove the axles, no need to remove suspension parts.

LetsGetThisDone Jul 11, 2019 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
you can just pop out the ball joints to remove the axles, no need to remove suspension parts.

Correct. But the trans doesn't really come out without lowering the subframe some. So an alignment would be needed either way

CaptainSquirts Jul 11, 2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11879426)
Correct. But the trans doesn't really come out without lowering the subframe some. So an alignment would be needed either way

Eh you dont have to lower it. It's a PITA though if you dont. Now let's say if you lower it some, does it really alter the alignment that much or little if you raised it back up? I would be very surprised that it does alter it enough for it to go out of whack.

Biggiesacks Jul 11, 2019 08:30 AM

I have never lowered my subframe to get the trans out. Maybe its an ACD trans case thing? I always had the room i needed. I do remember it being a bit of a PITA with the car on jacks. I figured that was just because I didn't have a lift though.

barneyb Jul 11, 2019 12:42 PM

The last time around I decided to follow the FSM. BTW, the transmission removal procedure is not located in any one place in the manual but is found scattered in several sections. The first challenge is understanding the manual. If you figure out what the manual is saying and do all that the manual instructs you to do, the transmission comes out with no clearance issues.

Back when I did this I wrote up the procedure and posted it to this forum. The responses were universally - "Way too much work". Well, yeah, but when it comes time to actually pop the tranny out or in, no work.

I never read or heard of anyone else actually trying to duplicate what is in the shop manual, shop or driveway, but it makes sense that Mitsubishi would provide a method for installing the transmission without clearance problems and they did even though it is complicated.

LetsGetThisDone Jul 11, 2019 12:52 PM

Time is money. I can do an 8/9 clutch in 3.5-4 hours. I have to wrestle with it a bit, sure. But its fast. Theres guys that have it down to 2-2.5 if they lay their tools out ready to go.

DontStopMe Jul 11, 2019 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by hutch959 (Post 11879375)
in order to get the half shafts out, you have to remove the coilovers from the hubs...

Not true. You can remove the CV shafts once you have the lower lower ball joint released from the hub.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11879426)
But the trans doesn't really come out without lowering the subframe some. So an alignment would be needed either way

I've dropped a trans on 4 different evos and never loosened a sub frame bolt.
Since making my evo trans removal video I've done it again using a cherry picker and a chain and it helped a lot.
But i can certainly see why people would loosen the subframe bolts to make the job go easier.

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone (Post 11879385)
So, he literally disassembled the suspension in that video, which was a lot of extra pointless work. Which would require an alignment.

I removed the controls arms to install new bushings and ball joints. It was not a pointless endeavor. I mention in the video that removing them is not needed to drop the trans.

barneyb Jul 11, 2019 11:13 PM

As to the original question, I have the ability to check alignment at home. So, when I've been into the suspension I check. I never found it needed adjustment for simple disassembly and assembly of the front suspension but only after parts replacement.

hutch959 Jul 12, 2019 04:47 PM

well heck... guess im wrong.

just do the work and then drive that thing!!!