EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   temp rise under boost? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/82657-temp-rise-under-boost.html)

DCsleeper May 28, 2004 04:47 PM

temp rise under boost?

Problem :( ? I have a rise in engine temperature when under boost. After letting off the engine cools back down to normal. I have allready checked the coolant level in my car and that is fine. The car seems to run well dispite this variation in temperature. Also, I do have a SES light on but that can probably be contributed to the typical po300 error that I get from time to time :( . Any advice would be appreciated :helpme: . My Evo has 5,000 miles on it and is stock with the exception of a boost gauge and turbo timer.

mksevo May 28, 2004 04:51 PM

is this with constant boost use or just for a minute or 2 . i would take the car in and have them check this out. not sure why it was just go up for short boost use. it will climb if you are talking about race type situation heat from turbo. check your oil level . let us know what you come up with.

CharlieGsanD May 28, 2004 05:16 PM

Lean = high EGT's & detonation

if your seeing a rise in temp under boost, id guess your running lean (fuel pump, FPR, Injectors), the mixture is running hot, detonating & causing a rise in operating temps. thus tripping the SES with a code for running lean, detonating or both

DCsleeper May 28, 2004 05:20 PM

This is occuring under short periods of boost. Basically, put my foot down, boost goes up then shortly after engine temperature rises. I let of the throttle, boost drops then few seconds later the engine temp comes back down to normal. Just changed the oil a few days ago level is a little high. Put in 5 quarts of mobil one full synthetic and new OEM filter. I wouldn't think that a slightly high oil level would cause this type of problem.

kevo May 28, 2004 05:27 PM

if your coolant temp raise after or during hard acceleration, its most likely you have a coolant leak, bubble or air in the coolant system, or maybe a blown headgasket. I would bring it back to the dealer and have them check it out since your car is stock. Or you can try to flush the coolant and make sure no air is in the system.

DCsleeper May 28, 2004 05:28 PM

I'm not talking about EGTs, this is the stock temperature gauge. EGTs might be high too, but I have no way of telling. I do have a A/F gauge with my turbo timer and see ratios of 14s around idle, 11s and 12s under full boost, climbs off scale 20 when completely letting off throttle.

DCsleeper May 29, 2004 09:25 PM

Well, had my Defi EGT gauge just sitting around waiting for me to get up the courage to drill and tap my manifold. Initially I started out with the intend of pulling the manifold off and drilling and tapping the hole for the sensor, this method is not as easy as others would lead you to believe. In fact it is rather impossible unless maybe you pull the engine or atleast the entire turbo and wastegate assembly. Anyway, finally tapped the hole about 2" down the #2 runner while the car was running and installed the sensor and gauge.

So now I just took the car out and was seeing EGTs around 1550F while holding 15 to 20 psi of boost. Mean while my stock engine temp gauge peaked at its highest level. What the hell is going on? Any ideas? Could the stock gauge be faulty? Would it be feasible for the engine temp to rise and fall as quickly as the EGTs?

Just to refresh, coolant level is normal with no leaks.

DCsleeper May 29, 2004 10:19 PM

bump

chinto May 29, 2004 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by DCsleeper
I'm not talking about EGTs, this is the stock temperature gauge. EGTs might be high too, but I have no way of telling. I do have a A/F gauge with my turbo timer and see ratios of 14s around idle, 11s and 12s under full boost, climbs off scale 20 when completely letting off throttle.

glad u bumped this bty i tryed to find it earlyr thinkn of what could be going on. i read if u went over 20 psi boost with stock head bolts its possable that they streach and it could super heat ur anti freeze.. would cause this problem.. i had a warped head on my jeep simmular problems no oil mixed with anti freeze and nothing shooting out the tail pipe just over heating on harder excelerations.. something u can maby try not sure if it would work on a turbo car take the anti freeze cap off whyll the engin is cold keep it off turn the car on and rev the engin a bit and see if it gets pushed out .. ill try tomarrow on my car to see what happens .. hope this maby helps and gives ya some insite.. sorry for the rambling its kinda late.. hope it makes sence if not ask and ill try to do it again.

sorry somone had simmular issue with running like 21 psi boost.. no other mods.. but im thinking that still might beable to help you out and why are u getting the warning light? if all u have is a turbo timer and a a/f ? im thinking ya should take it back to the dealer..

CharlieGsanD May 30, 2004 03:22 PM

i see, so its the coolant temps that are rising? my bad :p

if your maxing out your OEM coolant guage & you have verified the coolant level by opening the radiator cap (not looking on the side of the surge tank) then your next step would be to verify that the coolant is flowing. open the radiator cap with the car off & the motor cold. then start the car & watch the coolant, it will most likely not move until the temp comes up a bit & the thermostat opens.

DCsleeper May 31, 2004 12:08 PM

Ok, verified that the coolant level is full by removing the radiator cap and then proceeded to verify the coolant was flowing by running the car for awhile till the thermostat opened and you could see the coolant level change in the radiator, therefore coolant is moving. Any other ideas, I am baffled :confused: . Will most likely be taking the car in this week after I baby it all the way back down to DC from PA.

cutlass73 Jun 2, 2004 03:10 PM

It sounds like for whatever reason, you are running lean. I see EGT's of around 1400 at WOT under ~20psi on 93 octane. I have my fuel maps set to a conservative 11:1, not even close to the 11.5: to 12:1 tuners are reccommending. My coolant stays nice and normal while i'm punishing the turbo. I would most definately take it to the dealer and be like WTF?

EVOTEXAS Jun 2, 2004 03:15 PM

My A/C gets looses cool when I get into boost. I guess I attribute it to the AC running off vaccum and none being available while boosting.

ShapeGSX Jun 3, 2004 08:52 AM

Sounds like a blown headgasket to me.

Don't ever let the temp gauge get up that high. You are going to warp something.

A/C doesn't use vacuum. The engine computer shuts the A/C off if you go over a certain RPM. Either that or at a certain throttle percentage. I can't remember which.

DCsleeper Jun 3, 2004 05:51 PM

I have seen countless posts on this site with people running 1500s at wide open throttle. Judging from what I have read it is safe to run up to 1600 F. These numbers are for the same location that I have my sensor mounted (in the manifold 2" from the head). Plus I am completly stock except the addition of a boost gauge and a EGT guage. So there really can't be any way that I am running lean. I also always run 93 not that it would really matter since stock cars are designed to run with 91.

Anyway I have noticed that my coolant gauge only rises when I am over 1450 F. So contrasting what I have just said maybe it is running lean. Would like to have some other opinions please.

Update. Took the car to the dealer or should I say Satan a few days ago. They check the car's coolant system and confirmed that there are no leaks and that it is flowing. Additionally, they took the car out for a ****ing granny drive around town and said that it was fine. No spikes on the temp gauge. I say no **** did you get it under boost at all. They say no and that they refuse to drive the car under conditions which would get the EGTs up, stating that the is not what mitsubishi considers normal driving. So now I am really pissed, and have still no explination as to what is going on with my car. I bet they wouldn't have a clue as to how to fix it if they did see what was going on.

Anyway as it stands now I have convinced Satan to let me take one of the techs for a drive on Saturday to see if I can replicate the problem. Conditions, I can't drive like a so called "mad man" which I believe they call anyone whom drives over the speed limit. I live in DC, everyone that drives the beltway is going at least 75 thats 20 over. I think that I can still replicate the problem by reving up 2nd gear, but even if I do I have the feeling that they are going to tell me that is not normal driving and state that everything is fine. Where to go from here? Any opinions? Sorry about the long post or if it doesn't make sense I am really fustrated about the whole ordeal. :helpme: