Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remote start for evo viii

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and voidhawk, there is no neutral detection wire on any car newer than 1990 except a few nissan 5spds
Old Oct 29, 2004, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

I also have a Compustar with the turbo timer and remote start. It works pretty well. I don't know what the sequence in the manual is for setting up the remote start, but it is something like: put it in nuetral, release the clutch, then brake, then pull the emergency brake. Unless you do all of that, it won't start by remote next time. It seems pretty safe, plus it has an alarm so you don't have to worry too much about your car being stolen.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

I have worked at circuit city as an installer and I can say that the store will not legally install a remote start on a manual. I did my EVO at home and I have a neutral safety switch that wil not allow the engine to crack if the car is not in gear. Works like a charm, no risk. If the switch goes bad the car wont remote start at all.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

It's not that hard doing it yourself 8- ) If you know somebody that can do it on the side, then get it done. I plan on getting remote start soon as well. I have the viper system without the auto start, just needa get two pieces for it and them im straight. It is risky, so i started to park my car and never put it in gear, i just leave it in neutral and pull the emergency brake on. Auto start owns during the winter
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Where are you located?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:29 AM

there are shops that do it. i had it done to my rsx and its a manual but one thing is that you got to put the car neutral. but the shop wont cover you if something happens. for ins. reason i guess. and you have to bypass the chip on your keys to do the remote start and i dont think thats a good idea so its up to you.thats my 2cents.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

so i live in indiana...what store can i go to to get it done?
Old Oct 31, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

well, there are a few local shops around here. I talked to the install guys privately and they told me they can do it on the side and etc, but they can't cover the warranty and stuff because they can get fired and get bad business if somebody accidently starts the car with 1st on and etc. But only if the person is really cool they will help out. Do you have a local forum online forum for your area? Talk to some people on there if so. People are always wanting to help out others for stuff like this 8- ) Half the stores suck *** anyway, they do ****ty work such as circuit city and best buy, go to ask somebody at a local shop to see if they can do a sidejob if all else fails.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ellivnad
Compustar makes a remote start designed for use with manual transmission cars. I got their 2WSS-AS (2 way spread spectrum paging alarm/starter) installed by a local shop. It will require an engine imobilizer bypass box to trick the car into thinking a key is in the ignition. Its really a pretty safe system to have installed. There is a sequence of operations you must perform before leaving the car if you want it to be remote started. Take the car out of gear, pull up e-brake, turn off and remove key (engine will stay running), car shuts off and locks doors after drivers door has been opened then closed. This process won't allow you to leave the car in gear because the car stays running until you get out (so it would just stall as soon as you let the clutch out if you left it in gear).

This system is fairly pricey. Compustar quoted me $650 or more, the local distributor charged me $450 installed. There are other options if you find the right shop or are electronically inclined such as using clutch switches and a neutral detection switch.

I installed at CC during my years at college, I looked into the compustar, the one thing they overlook.... let's say you go through their procedure for shutting off the car. Your little brother unlocks the car and sits in it, puts it in gear... you start it the next morning...boom, and the ins. company won't cover it.

#1 I don't advise putting an R/S on a 5spd...I have stories from others that have done it.

nonetheless, I'm sure there's many-a-people like myself that still just have to have it. I did it on my dsm, and I had 3 separate safety checks, and there is no way the car can start in gear. Use this as a reference:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/28230/3

if you have any questions at all, please Pm me... i'd rather help someone do it "right", then sit idle while someone wrecks the best car that's crossed the big blue.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
I have worked at circuit city as an installer and I can say that the store will not legally install a remote start on a manual. I did my EVO at home and I have a neutral safety switch that wil not allow the engine to crack if the car is not in gear. Works like a charm, no risk. If the switch goes bad the car wont remote start at all.
I work in the roadshop at circuit city now and we don't install on manual cars nor does our installers advise it. People do make mistakes and leave the car in first a lot
Old Nov 22, 2004, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo542
but if someone starts the car in first gear you'll brake a garage door and damage the vehicle...... or run somebody over
not if you have the parking brake on. it will stall out before it gets going. again and again and again
Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kwman
Can't get remote start on a manual transmission vehicle in NC. No shop will do it, plus...I don't mind not being lazy.
i live in NC and i have it on my car, and i didn't do it!!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
not if you have the parking brake on. it will stall out before it gets going. again and again and again

....you'd think that would be the case wouldn't you. I only wish it worked out that way...
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

I have the Compustar 2WFM-AS system that has remote start, 2-way paging, turbo timer, etc. It works just as ellivnad described. It's a little annoying that it can be disabled so easily so that the remote start is deactivated, but I guess the extra precautions taken are better than the alternative of having your car go drive off on it's own when you remote start it up.

An Evo friend of mine has the DEI Viper 691 with remote start and the design is somewhat different. There's a solenoid that detects whether the car is in neutral and the parking brake is engaged before starting the ignition.

These systems are not cheap so hope you plan on spending quite a bit of $$ for the added luxury of remote start.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

It's not that they can't install remote start on your car, it's the fact that its illegal. However, if you are in the DC/MD/VA area I know someone who will do it for you. He's professional and works on installs at best buy so he know's what he's doing when it comes to car alarm systems.

Quick Reply: Remote start for evo viii