Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is turbo timer "so called cool down" needed for U.S. evo and are we getting titanium?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2002, 05:23 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is turbo timer "so called cool down" needed for U.S. evo and are we getting titanium?

Is our turbo oil or water cooled. And If it's oil cooled do mitsubishi require to let the car idle before shutting it down. Or is all the turbo timer stuff old tech turbos?

If anybody could verify what turbos we are getting i'll appreciated it.

thanks,
Old Dec 16, 2002, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although the benefits of a turbo timer have never been fully proved, my take is that it certainly can't hurt. I have one that is set to 30-40 seconds. It also is a great conversation piece, when people tell me I forgot to turn my car off.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 05:37 PM

According to this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=11321

s4awd received some specs from the dealer when he placed his order, and in it they mentioned the turbo is the TD05HR-16G6 model. The titanium model is the TD05HRA-16G6, so it looks like (if that info is correct) we will be getting the inconnel/aluminum model. Also the turbo is lubricated by oil obviously which cools it a bit but also has galleys for coolant so it is water-cooled.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, you will need a turbo timer.. Unless you prefer to just sit inside the car until it cools.. According to the posted training manual, the EVO requires synthetic oil.. So getting a timer is a good investment.. Not just for the EVO, but for any turbocharged car..
Old Dec 16, 2002, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see the point of a turbo timer at all, unless u guys love to boost all the time until arrived at your destination. All you have to do is be off the boost like 3-4 mins before arriving at your destination, let the car idle for 20 seconds, and shut it off. Hell, you don't even HAVE to wait 20 seconds, since you weren't boosting for 3-4 mins anyways, but just in case.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

yeah a turbo timer is only needed for when your racing your car constantly then all of a sudden have to stop and get out of your car. its not like you race around then rip it up your driveway and jump out of your car. you usually just drive calmly up your driveway...put the windows up...turn down the stereo..close the sunroof...get your things together...then get out. thats a good 30 seconds right there.
Old Dec 16, 2002, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

who said i want to drive my EVO slow?? What's the purpose of driving slow in an EVO anyways...
Old Dec 16, 2002, 07:54 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Why was this moved? Isn't titaium turbo a rumor???
Old Dec 16, 2002, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

You dont really need a TT unless your planning to drive the **** out of your car parking it and shutting it off. Just after your done driving the hell out of it, take it easy and keep it under 3K RPM like for 5 / 10 minutes or so and you can shut the car right off.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 05:37 AM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Sweet! So no need for a turbo timer, eh?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 05:54 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

So it's water and oil cooled? Water cool is great due the the final cycle after the car is turned off
Old Dec 17, 2002, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

A turbo timer may not be an absolute necessity, but it is worth getting. Under normal operation, the oil in the turbo still gets hot, and it is preferable to keep the oil flowing to enhance cool-down. A turbo timer will give peace of mind, they can provide extra features like voltage, rpm, and acceleration measurement, and they cost only $100.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Lets break down what everyone is talking about.

Does a turbo spin if not creating boost ?

Does a turbo running under no boost register high heat ?

If you answered no to either of those click -----> Here for your prize.

If you answered yes you know that Turbo's are connected to your exhaust manifold. Exhaust temperatures run up to 1,475° F (Ref) which is pretty hot, go ahead touch it....

Besides the fact that turbos run around 150,000 RPM, metal carries heat, so your turbo temperature will be around 250° F and around 300° F at the shaft. (Ref)

My last question;

What is 30 seconds going to do to cool that down?

Last edited by yannotmi; Dec 17, 2002 at 11:13 AM.