Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Helix SS DP - Wrap or No Wrap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Helix SS DP - Wrap or No Wrap

Going to put my helix ss dp on this weekend, with the cat-delete and cat-back. Should I put header wrap on there? I'll be sending to JetHot some time in the next few months.

Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd just coat it if I were you.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
i dont really think the header wrap increases motor output, just keeps thinks cooler around the header. But i may be wrong. Might want to search to see if anyone has reported performance gains from the wrap
Old Feb 16, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had mine coated at Jet-Hot and they did an awesome job. Although, I have no way of telling how much heat it retains over a non-coated pipe. I recommend them and you can have your choice of Grey, Blue or Black in the 2000 coating or you can opt for the Sterling coating which is nice for show.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

if it's getting coated, don't waste the $50 to wrap it... the main benifit is keeping the heat in the pipe with the jet-hot or wrap, so it doesn't transfer it to the oil pan, which is a good thing... also, in theory, keeping temps higher means the exhaust gases flow faster, thus increasing the efficency of your exhaust system...
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

chick fil a wraps are really good!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

No wrap is needed. I would leave it alone and I live in the desert.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Mines not wrapped and its fine.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Mines not wrapped and its fine.
man it really annoys me when people say hey i did this and its "fine"..... HELLO WAKE UP.... he didnt ask if its fine or not...... even if the DP is heating up the oil pan abit, do you think your engine is going to blow up? friggin ignorant answer i tell you..... basically, dont assume just because you are ignorant about something, its "FINE".....
Old Feb 17, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
man it really annoys me when people say hey i did this and its "fine"..... HELLO WAKE UP.... he didnt ask if its fine or not...... even if the DP is heating up the oil pan abit, do you think your engine is going to blow up? friggin ignorant answer i tell you..... basically, dont assume just because you are ignorant about something, its "FINE".....
Calm down buddy...there's alot of people around here who run DPs with no coating or wrapping, i've yet to hear any problems with them thus far.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

id jet hot it, but do it before you install it to make things easier
Old Feb 17, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DC2Dorifto
Going to put my helix ss dp on this weekend, with the cat-delete and cat-back. Should I put header wrap on there? I'll be sending to JetHot some time in the next few months.

Thanks

even when i spell it out, people like Sleet will never understand... yeah like alot of people say, your engine will not blow up if you dont wrap it.... but ofcourse we are all here to increase the efficiency of our evo's.. not just do things based on what breaks.... so yes wrap or jetcoat it and you will get a slight drop in oil temperature...

if you decide to wrap it, make sure to spray it down with high temp black paint to minimize water from getting in and ruining your wrap over time.....
Old Feb 17, 2005, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

even when i spell it out, people like Sleet will never understand... yeah like alot of people say, your engine will not blow up if you dont wrap it.... but ofcourse we are all here to increase the efficiency of our evo's.. not just do things based on what breaks.... so yes wrap or jetcoat it and you will get a slight drop in oil temperature...

if you decide to wrap it, make sure to spray it down with high temp black paint to minimize water from getting in and ruining your wrap over time.....
What do you mean people like me? I've thought about wrapping my DP before and I am still considering it, I just need to find a place to buy the wrap. I understand that we are here to increase the efficiency of our cars. I was just saying that if you run the car without jetcoat or wrap you shouldn't worry about it too much but it doesn't hurt to be safe than sorry.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

yep... if you wrap it, make sure to buy some DEI silicone sealant spray... goes a long way protecting the wrap from absorbing moisture...
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I would definately go with coating before wrapping. I've seen too many headers crack and things like that with wraps. Plus wraps start to look ratty after a while.

Another thing to think about with any of these heat insulators is not only do they help keep heat in the system down stream they also heat up things upstream. In our racecars we tried some coatings on the primaries and it moved enough heat back into the cylinder head to effect the tune, but thats in an N/A application and tuned more to the limit than a street motor.