Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Anyone install an autometer boost gauge?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone install an autometer boost gauge?

Im going to install mine tommorrow, and im using the grommet behind the passenger shock tower. My question is, It doesnt seem like their is enough of the supplied vacumn line to reach, did anyone have a problem with not enough line with through that grommet? Im installing the gauge on the sterring column, thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

No, make it through the firewall behind the master cylinder and it'll go right up to a splice off near the valve cover/throttle body area. Dont let anyone BS you, they're quite accurate.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yea i always go with autometer, best quality for the money. I dont want to drill through the firewall, thats why im asking if the line will reach, it seems like its a possibility, but then again im not positive.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 12:59 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Where are you placing the gauge? Mine is in the DIN opening and it reached fine. Don't recall if there would have been enough line to reach the steering column or the A-pillar when running it through the passenger side of the firewall.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:01 PM

That's the hole i used but the line (tubing) is not long enough.I just bought some extra tubing at Pep Boys
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Or you could just buy more line....HAHA! They sell that stuff by the foot at Lowes or a hardware store. Same stuff. Be really careful to not cut, kink or damage it too.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

It reaches fine, I ran my hose through there and mounted my gauge on top of the steering wheel. Now I just gotta figure out why it doesn't show taper...
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is mounted in an Autometer steering column pod. The line is running through the grommet, but it does reach the steering column. I have it running behind the glove box, close to the firewall.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

^^I got the same pod.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I was about two inches short when I went through that grommet, just barely. I got some extra line from pep-boys...
Old Mar 18, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigjhoney
Im going to install mine tommorrow, and im using the grommet behind the passenger shock tower. My question is, It doesnt seem like their is enough of the supplied vacumn line to reach, did anyone have a problem with not enough line with through that grommet? Im installing the gauge on the sterring column, thanks.
I went through the passenger side grommet, and if I remember correctly there was enough of the supplied line to just make it. You have to tap into a vacuum line so you have to adapt the nylon line to vacuum hose anyway, so you can get some extra length there.

Here's some photos that might help from a previous thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=100508

After looking at them, they're not that helpful. : )

The biggest challenge I found was adapting the nylon hose to the vacuum lines. What I ended up doing was buying a compression fitting for the nylon line, and then a bayonet type fitting at a hardware store. I could then put the nylon line into the compression fitting, and plug the vacuum hose into the brass bayonet which then went into the tee off the vacuum line I tapped off of.

Take your nylon hose, and a piece of vacuum line to a hardware store, and you should be able to piece together what you need just looking in the plumbing parts drawers.

Oh, and you can drill a hole in the grommet, and have a nice weather-tight seal against the nylon line.