Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Amuse Titanium Exhaust question!

Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JB1
Do you think the Greddy Ti is comparable to the Amuse exhaust?
No, the Greddy is a nice, light exhaust but the Amuse is 100% more impressive visually. The welds are the best I have ever seen and I believe Amuse may be using a different Ti alloy than some of the other exhausts as well.

I was going to order one of the Amuse exhausts for my Evo but called BP and asked about the tip getting past the bumper. They said that the Amuse would end a little short of the bumper (same as my Greddy).

I machined a spacer for my exhaust that moved the rear section back about .800" and it eliminated all of the soot on the bumper and looks better.

Good luck,

Oh yeah the Amuse I had on the RSX took 8 weeks to arrive!
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 96_LXR

Oh yeah the Amuse I had on the RSX took 8 weeks to arrive!
Tell me about it, my Kakimoto is taking 10 weeks
Old Apr 21, 2005, 09:22 AM
JB1

thanks for info on Amuse exhaust. I think thats the way I'm gonna go.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Is the amuse a true 3' exhaust? I too looked at this exhaust on bulletproof automotive.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tsurara
Tell me about it, my Kakimoto is taking 10 weeks
I hear ya, man that waiting for it is a killer, I was a full two months on the stock pea shooter, worth the wait though.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Knyght
Stainless steel doesn't rust, hence stainless..

Titanium is more likely to oxidize
this is incorrect... first off... oxidation IS rust... stainless steal is resiliant to rust... you throw it in the ocean... and wait a few days... you'll pull out some rust. the oxidation of any type of steel is such that the temperatures in normal envirionments combined with the particulates in most environments is enough to oxidize (burn, yes that's what rust is... the very slow burning of metal).

titanium's oxidation requires higher temperatures not found in most environments, but IS found in most WELDING environments, so you gotta watch out when you weld... but a hung of ti will get a misty white on top at MOST! especially since right after it gets oxidized on its top layer the bottom layers should be very well protected, just like aluminum... although aluminum is more pronounced.

and i'd like to know why the greddy ti is a piece of crap... the overall design looks the same as most "great" designs (iunno why everyone looks at an exhaust and then claims it's great). i do admit that the greddy is not one mandrel bent piece and the welds are a little questionable for the pipings (they're smoothed out) but how is it a good thing to have hacked up pieces welded together... the more welds you have the more you have to try and smooth them on the inside and the more chances you have of not really making it smooth... i think people just like that hacked up welded look... i'd prefer mandrel bent.

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 21, 2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 12:59 AM
Evolving Member

I really like the new HKS Ti SpecR, especially the Type-A “Race Only” version:

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/...ecr/specr.html

Never heard of anybody that actually used it but they sure look nice and HKS should have a good quality as usual.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

i looked into it, asked my friend who works at hks why they hadn't brought it over. apparently it doesn't fit the usdm evo 8. for one it doens't have the midpipe bung. iunno... but it is nice. super super nice design, also it's like. 209348209384 dollars.

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 22, 2005 at 03:52 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
this is incorrect... first off... oxidation IS rust... stainless steal is resiliant to rust... you throw it in the ocean... and wait a few days... you'll pull out some rust. the oxidation of any type of steel is such that the temperatures in normal envirionments combined with the particulates in most environments is enough to oxidize (burn, yes that's what rust is... the very slow burning of metal).

titanium's oxidation requires higher temperatures not found in most environments, but IS found in most WELDING environments, so you gotta watch out when you weld... but a hung of ti will get a misty white on top at MOST! especially since right after it gets oxidized on its top layer the bottom layers should be very well protected, just like aluminum... although aluminum is more pronounced.

and i'd like to know why the greddy ti is a piece of crap... the overall design looks the same as most "great" designs (iunno why everyone looks at an exhaust and then claims it's great). i do admit that the greddy is not one mandrel bent piece and the welds are a little questionable for the pipings (they're smoothed out) but how is it a good thing to have hacked up pieces welded together... the more welds you have the more you have to try and smooth them on the inside and the more chances you have of not really making it smooth... i think people just like that hacked up welded look... i'd prefer mandrel bent.
This is in laymans terms, Stainless Steel NOT thrown in the ocean (not where it typically belongs) will not rust. And Titanium oxidizes, instead of turning red, like rust. In laymans terms rust = red discolored with holes. Oxidized metal just discolors. I dont pretend to be a science major, so dont throw it out of portion by throwing exhausts into the ocean to get your rust..

Meanwhile in the welding department, the REAL reason you want the less welds as possible is because the more you weld the weaker the structure. Less welds = stronger piece. Welding creates inconsistancies within the metal. Not only that but most welds(steel) will rust faster since the metals used for bonding are not typically resiliant. Thus mandrel bending offers a stronger exhaust when compared to hacked/welded.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

i am a science major ....

btw they make boats out of... GASP stainless steel

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=rust

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oxidation

forming of oxides = rust oxidation = forming of oxides... you had access to the information materials....

for more information... if you know the chemical formula for combustion or burning, you'll see that it forms oxides i.e. carbon dioxide formed from burning fuel, once again... forming of oxides = burning forming of oxides = rust.

my reference to welding... welding ti requires shielding gases because at welding temperatures ti oxides form very readiliy... hence making brittle welds if the welded materials aren't shielded properly. i was not referencing how ti welds are weak... because if done correctly... they are not.

in the exhaust dept... welding is perfectly strong enough for exhausts... because unlike boats that are made of steel that actually go in seawater... there isn't typically anything that an exhaust does that exeeds it's strength demands when components of the exhaust are welded, in fact... they're strong enough that MANY shops that don't have access to expensive mandrel bending equipt, particularly for ti, cut nad weld bends because that's a better alternative to press bending.

now... the problem with making bends like this is that you can only gind down SOME of the internal weld beads and most people won't even go through the trouble of THAT. so... you get these weld beads on the inside of the pipe where all the gases flow through. beads in a pipe will pose restriction... restriction and flow are not happily in the same sentence together when you're talking about cars.

Last edited by trinydex; Apr 22, 2005 at 05:11 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Well congrats on the science major, you know more about rust, but one question, every one of your posts are edited.. I wonder why, sounds to me you are looking stuff up and you dont actually know, but thats just speculation.

People dont care if rust is actually an oxide. People see rust as rust, and oxidation as oxidation. Dont try to confuse the majority just for your own benefit of saving face.

People SS doesn't rust, Titanium oxidizes. Thats not fact, it's just what happens in the automotive industry.

Shielded gas metal arc welding is great for creating nice looking welds. The problem is that the metal you are welding onto changes it's molecular structure and is therefor weaker. See I'm a welder, and I know this. The gas used in shielding typically Argon does a good job keeping the welds from oxidizing before the metal has a chance to bond. The problem is the filler metal will oxized(rust) faster than the metal pipe will.

Welded v/s mandrel in accordinance with flow and restriction is that a welded pipe on a 30 degree angle disrupts flow due to the extreme change in direction. Mandrel is far superior because even though the entire angle might be 30 degree, its actually a bunch of small angles added to form 30. Therefor less of a dramatic change in direction.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amuse Titan Exhaust
Old Apr 22, 2005, 05:43 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for Off-topic here's a for everyone

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
Drool! waiting for tax return!
Old Apr 22, 2005, 06:56 AM
RS2
Evolving Member

If you're really serious about Amuse exhaust it will cost you!

I do have the R1 Titan, I have realised many super cars slowing down when I'm coming from few blocks away

Amuse > other exhausts (HKS, Blitz, Greddy etc...)

Amuse = LOUD LOUD LOUD (this is under 3000rpm)

At full throttle 3000rpm+ =

This exhaust is not cop friendly especially at full throttle, I got pulled over once just because I passed an a$$hole cop from the right. I think his car shaked a little bit and he started to follow me and asked me to pull over and gave me 3 tickets. a friend with connections took care of this bastard cop and his tickets and I was free

My max speed is usually around 30 ~ 45mph inside the city and everything has been fine lately.

Just make sure you don't floor it, cause you'll draw everyone's attention and donut eaters might just come out of nowhere

Exhaust mod:
R1 Titan
RMR 3" T.pipe
RMR 3" Downpipe

Expecting O2 housing by next month
Old Apr 22, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

I've been meaning to ask... what's JASMA?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Amuse Titanium Exhaust question!