Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

To wait, or not to wait?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2003, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post To wait, or not to wait?

I've been pondering a bit lately about my options here, thought maybe you guys could help me out. The original plan was to get either an E8 or STi this year, but I figure I could wait one year and see what happens with reviews, reliability, and all that good stuff. Besides, I'm still a third year in college now so it might be better if I got 2004 MY so I wouldn't have the car sitting around getting weatherbeaten all the time. Well, at least it'd be sitting around for only 3-4 months vs over a whole year.

Here are my worries though:

1) F&F2 and what the movie may do to the Evo's image. As far as I'm aware this car has a pretty loyal but small fanbase, and I'd like to keep it that way. Unfortunately with the E7 being the star in this movie, I don't know if it'll stay this way. Dunno if you guys saw, but used Supra prices rocketed upwards of $40K after F&F came out. I mean, not a bad car and all but seriously, for cars that are over 6 years old with 100K going for $40K?? I'm just afraid something similar may happen to the Evo and we'll have rice rocketers and racers running to dealers in swarms which may cause dealers to start price gouging.

2) I know this is speculation and speculation only, but ever since the E7's release a couple years back I had already heard that E8 was going to be the last iteration of the Lancer Evolutions. At the time they didn't mention what they'd do after that but I guess now it looks like they're going to move to the Colt platform. It seems illogical that they'd bring the Evo here now and then just scrap it, but if the E8 is the last iteration then how many years do you think we'll have the car on US shores? Or is it possible they might continue manufacturing the car despite it not being their WRC platform anymore?

So... buy now, have it sit around, or buy later, with the risk of prices going up?? and having to put up with rice rockets?
Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:03 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go look around and see what prices or if you can find any cars available. Who knows how many evo will be produced with being all the production problems with the carbon wing pushing it back unit March. The way they are going they'll be lucky to have 4600 unit available unless there would be more than the 15%for all evo's sold which equipped with small spoilers planned for 03?

I had the same problem deciding between the two after subaru announced the specs for the sti.

Here are the key factors for me at least.

STi-
1. Forged Spec-C wheels Awesome!
2. 2.5 L *new engine iffy* and might lag with upipe if has cat.
3. Dont' know weight and ($ important to most under 35 works for me)
4. Limited slip front diff and DCCD Awesome!
5. 6-speed trans

Evolution VIII
1. 2.1 turns lock to lock
2. 4G63 over 10 yr old proven evo engine! Twin scroll great!
3. No ACD and No front LSD Dont'know how much faster if at all when equiped..
4. FMIC, definitly a plus if intended to mod.
5. Capable of 155mph and wind tunnel tested this time!

I just have a feeling that the Evo will outhandle the STi on tarmac but who know what will happen since they have and electronical diff. Only time will tell so if you like the evo get it now or wait for the STi. It's probably best to wait but that is something I cannot do since i've been waiting since 2001.

Hey my advice is good things happen for the one's who wait. The next evo probably kill the sti specs you see now and it's a on going war like Mustang vs. Camero japanese style.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry i'm being an ***, but its a Evo VIII thats in the 2Fast2Furious movie, not the Evo VII. But as much as I like the evos and all.....i'm probably gonna get shot for saying this.......The STI is a much nicer looking car in my opinion. Oh and for the record, I dunno if you wanna wait but here in Va, were only getting 4 - 6 Evo VIII's and thats it, no more ever. So if you have the money I would just get the car and buy a car cover.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Haha, surprisingly those were a lot of the same deciding factors I had, but I have decided to stick with the Evo, sorry if I didn't make that too clear. I've always preferred the Evo over the STi (thought I must say the WRX really tempted me when it first came over), but yeah, definitely Evo all the way!

Actually another reason I'd like to wait is maybe the 2004 MY may have an actual front differential and if we're lucky get the ACD. Yea yea, maybe I wouldn't know the difference but I'd like the chance to grow into one, if ever. Especially with the front differential, it's more of a "it's nice to have one so if I ever decide to take it to the track it'll be useful" sort of feeling, rather than having to go out and get it eventually.

In any case, I think my question was misdirected - I meant to ask, get an Evo now, or wait till next year and risk price gouging due to popularity boost from F&F2?
Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

The way I see it, there will always be the next best thing on the horizon. And if you continually wait for the next best thing, you will never actually own anything.

So, unless you refrain from buying for financial reasons, and you see something you want and can afford.....go buy it!

and for the record, it's an Evo 7 thats in the F&F2 movie... The 8 was not yet available to the public when the movie shoot began a few months back. I really think the appearance of the Evo in the movie will do little to it's popularity.

SC
Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Er... call me a retard but I'm almost positive those puke-green Evos shown in all the F&F2 promos are Evo7's. The wheels, front fenders/flares totally give it away. Besides, IIRC the movie started filming (the cars were imported from Europe like, what, during the summer?) the Evo8 wasn't even near completion yet. Eh, what the hell, either way the end result is the same - the Evo's gonna get mainstream marketing. That movie will do more for the Evo than any commercial ever will.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:31 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Knightliner
The STI is a much nicer looking car in my opinion.
My opinion is the opposite. I hate the oversized sti hood scoop. Six piece of orange on the front lights. And that wing doesn't look as proportional as the evos. Anyways, neither the way both of the cars look have any effect on my decision.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not waiting. As soon as they are here I am getting one. Also, I do not like the look of the Subaru.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

my 2 cents...

don't let the F&F2 come into play when chosing a car - it's a stupid movie that noone will remember in 12 months. and if that's all it takes to persuade you away from the Evo, then you weren't a fan to begin with.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by trigeek37
my 2 cents...

don't let the F&F2 come into play when chosing a car - it's a stupid movie that noone will remember in 12 months. and if that's all it takes to persuade you away from the Evo, then you weren't a fan to begin with.
here here
Old Feb 5, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

the only thing holding me back is a descent down payment and a car i need to sell....meaning my current ride needs to go before i can get a new one
Old Feb 5, 2003, 09:15 PM

Thumbs down 4-6 evos?

Originally posted by Knightliner
Sorry i'm being an ***, but its a Evo VIII thats in the 2Fast2Furious movie, not the Evo VII. But as much as I like the evos and all.....i'm probably gonna get shot for saying this.......The STI is a much nicer looking car in my opinion. Oh and for the record, I dunno if you wanna wait but here in Va, were only getting 4 - 6 Evo VIII's and thats it, no more ever. So if you have the money I would just get the car and buy a car cover.
how do you know we are gonna get this amount? and what about the 2004 evo?
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, I wasn't gonna let F&F2 dissuade my deciding purchase, either way I'd buy the Evo (won't forget the day I first saw it rallying on TV!), it's just whether to buy it now or later, and I fear later it'll be more expensive, due to price gouging. Maybe if there are any leftover units this year (har har ) I would get a 2003 instead if the 2004's are being marked up? Who knows.

Also about the number of Evo's in VA, I know that the Stohlman Mitsu in Northern VA is getting at least 15 Evo's, so.... just so you know, Fairfax VA is one of the most affluent areas in the entire nation, so our dealers here are getting a good number of Evos delivered. Elsewhere in VA, yeah, you're probably gonna get screwed.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that lancer in the f&f2 is a ES lancer non-evo just getting it straight the dude that owns that car made it look like a an evo7 i think he bought the hyper kit not sure though. owell but i want to get the evoVIII but only 4-6 is coming here that will suck cuase i have to wait 3 more yeras cuase of college
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Naw.....that lancer in the F&F2 is an EVO VII....it was confirmed long time ago in another thread...plus they showed a clip of paul walker talkin about his EVO VII

I heard we were gettin 10 evos in VA Bch.

Quick Reply: To wait, or not to wait?