Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch issues/questions....

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch issues/questions....

I posted in the wrong spot and didnt notice haha

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=138839
Old May 13, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Could it be that the car from the dealership has not had the 0300 reflash done? Sounds like the same issue. Youd think that the car would have been flashed prior to buying it from a mitsu dealership
Old May 13, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Im not throwing a CEL light tho so its wierd
Old May 13, 2005, 10:58 AM

From the sound of it, you're not really experiencing a clutch problem, since you're really only experiencing the slippage in 4th gear. It's actually very strange... probably the first I've heard of such a problem, where you're slipping only 200-300 RPM in only 4th gear.

What other symptoms have you heard. It could be an ECU map glitch of some sort. I would suggest taking it to the dealership and tell them what you're experiencing. They shouuld be able to help you out.

Edit: I hate typos... like ticks on your skin

Last edited by EvoCorp; May 13, 2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old May 13, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

I have a appoinment wednesday... it happens anytime i get to 1 bar boost if i was crusing along... its irritating.. and ur right.. doenst seem like i have a clutch issue since i can hammer it from the box....
Old May 13, 2005, 11:17 AM

Wait... so... whenever you hit around 1 bar, or roughly 14PSI, you notice the slipping in the clutch? That means you feel the slipping when you're accelerating, since you obviously don't stay at 1 bar when you're just cruising. If that's the case, it could be your clutch after all.

Clutch slippage only occurs depending on the torque that your clutch is withstanding. If your clutch is going bad, when your clutch experiences a certain torque level, it'll start slipping; the worse the clutch condition is, the lower the torque it requires for the clutch to start slipping. In my case when I had my clutch pretty much... dead, it started slipping whenever I step on the gas (yeah, it was that bad).

I'm guessing your clutch is starting to go bad, but not so much that it won't lock and grip from hard driving just yet. Just don't go WOT too much, or you'll very well be experiencing this slippage earlier and earlier.

Check with the dealership and let me know what they say.
Old May 13, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

the thing is.. it doesnt slip everytime at 1 bar.. only when i go from a roll and the boost climbes and hits 1 bar it slips the rpm a bit.. then settles... if i go from a dig.. it wont slip even past 1 bar.. its so f'n bizarre.. irritating at the same point
Old May 13, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

I;ve blown clutches before.. so i know what its like.. but its usually consistant with load.. this isnt at all..
Old May 13, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like your clutch.... mine did this and everytime it got heated up it would hook up... it was harder to notice from the line because it would heat up and catch..... anyway be very careful who you let replace it. I now have no driveline warranty because of the Stealership i let put my new one in.(they destroyed the front diff and Tcase then didnt want to replace it) anyway like i say be careful
Old May 13, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

thanks, but i do my own work. Any ideas for a good Stage II or III clutch for a fair price?