Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

get re-flashed and still use 91?????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb get re-flashed and still use 91?????

ok i was just wodering i sent my car for the reflash but is it ok to put 91 octane i heard only 93 octane and up could be use with reflashes what about a 100 i know where to get that need opnions thanks guys
Old Jun 21, 2005, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvOJoHnY0312
ok i was just wodering i sent my car for the reflash but is it ok to put 91 octane i heard only 93 octane and up could be use with reflashes what about a 100 i know where to get that need opnions thanks guys
rofl that doesnt even qualify for a run-on sentence.

but i can make out what your saying. if thats the case whynot opt for a s-afc...

it only makes more sense to go the s-afc route.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:33 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by temps
rofl that doesnt even qualify for a run-on sentence.

but i can make out what your saying. if thats the case whynot opt for a s-afc...

it only makes more sense to go the s-afc route.
Actually that is not correct.

If a reflash is set for 91 octane that would be the best approach.

Using a SAFC only results in overly advanced ignition timing and the ecu pulling a lot of timing in an uneven manner as a result.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash

Using a SAFC only results in overly advanced ignition timing and the ecu pulling a lot of timing in an uneven manner as a result.
Coulda fooled me...
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

If a reflash is set for 91 octane that would be the best approach.

Could someone explain that for a layman.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by temps
Could someone explain that for a layman.
The stock evo a/f targets are overly rich (too much fuel - especially after 5,000 rpms).

SAFC adjusts this by reducing the mass air flow KARMAN signal by a fixed percentage - e.g. say 7 % less. This results in the ecu running on a lower load zone in the ignition timing mapping - a zone you would usually run under partial boost. The stock ecu mapping runs more advanced timing in the lower load zones.

Particularly with 91 octane fuel a leaner a/f and more highly advanced timing causes knock activity (detonation) which causes the ecu to pull timing. The problem with this apporach is you wind up with a lean mixture and retarded timing = high egts and very low tq.

SAFC can get decent results but it is no match for a reflash which has the ability to indepenadntly set a/f targets and ignition timing, adjust both main fuel and ignition maps and also adjust various other parameters.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

The stock evo a/f targets are overly rich (too much fuel - especially after 5,000 rpms).

SAFC adjusts this by reducing the mass air flow KARMAN signal by a fixed percentage - e.g. say 7 % less. This results in the ecu running on a lower load zone in the ignition timing mapping - a zone you would usually run under partial boost. The stock ecu mapping runs more advanced timing in the lower load zones.

Particularly with 91 octane fuel a leaner a/f and more highly advanced timing causes knock activity (detonation) which causes the ecu to pull timing. The problem with this apporach is you wind up with a lean mixture and retarded timing = high egts and very low tq.

SAFC can get decent results but it is no match for a reflash which has the ability to indepenadntly set a/f targets and ignition timing, adjust both main fuel and ignition maps and also adjust various other parameters.
Cool, Thanks for clearing things up for me.