Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Viper Alarm and Warrenty concern

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoTec
Lets be really serious for a second. There are MANY people on this forum with remote starters on manual transmission cars. And also many people on other forums as well. I have never witnessed or heard of a remote start or alarm which was installed correctly, voiding anyones warranty. So if you install it right, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.
yes, i have had remote starts on 2 of my stick cars. but there are also legal remote starts and illegal remote starts. so this may or may not void your warranty. we all know how most mitsu dealers are and techniquely if they see a system like viper, python etc, but not compustart (the only one i know legal) they can void your electronics... its cutting into the ignition system of your vehicle
Old May 9, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evo4g63awd
with the viper system with the remote start, it is not legal. there is one compustart that is legal for you to have.

its the remote start that may be partial to void part of your warranty...
I have the Compustar 2WSS installed in my car. This Remote Starter / Alarm is approved for use in our cars and will not void any warrantee as long as it is installed by a licensed shop. I am very happy with it, the only problem is that if you connect your keys to the 2 way remote, the range is limited due to the chip in the mitsu key. (At least this is what I came to discover)
Old May 9, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolving Member

unfortunately they are considered "experts". they say it broke something. it is good as gold in court(if you want to take it that far). its funny b/c a alarm installer of 25 yrs word is worth less than the 21 yr old parts changer working at a dealership

this has proven many times over. with warranty issues at dealerships....very few have been successful at suing mitsu
Old May 9, 2006, 09:15 AM

its barley worth the headache, lojack rocks =)

i will go to the deal directly and ask them, and make sure whatever answer they give me is writen and signed
Old May 9, 2006, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S14Swap240sx
its barley worth the headache, lojack rocks =)

i will go to the deal directly and ask them, and make sure whatever answer they give me is writen and signed
Actually the lojack system is easy to bypass just like any other alarm. If someone wants your car, they will get it no matter what.

It is unlikely that something will fry out your ignition harness as no wire up there that you will connect to rests at ground except for the keysense wire. That is in another harness coming from the dash. The ignition harness itself is tied off seperatly as well as the parking lights, headlights, keysense and the other BS is off by itself in seperate shielding.

So, it is extremely difficult for you wiring an alarm and installing it will ground out anything on your ignition harness.
Old May 9, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
LoJack is worthless. After you report your car stolen and the report is entered into the system a signal is sent out over the pager network to activate a beacon. A theif can have a huge headstart before you ever find out. The big problem with LoJack is the recievers for the beacons. They are located in cop cars that are supposed to zero in on a stolen car. There are 4 in my county and one of them hasnt worked in 2 years. The patrol cars aren't on the road 24hrs a day either.

I did a Clifford Avantgaurd G4 and a satellite tracking system. If my alarm is triggered, battery voltage drops, etc. the sat receiver transmits to a call center that then will listen inside my car and monitor the vehicle position. If an intrusion is heard or the car moves they call the cops and me. They give the exact position and description of the car to the police before it gets out of hand. If the theives try to run they can shut the engine off by satellite (only with police permission). I can also operate some features of the car remotely myself. LoJack is 20 year old technology with no follow up maintenance on an old network. I won't even get into the "installers" they hire that throw the unit under the back seat in 10 minutes. It would be better to tie a string to your bumper and the other end to your finger at night.
Old May 9, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BillAce
LoJack is worthless. After you report your car stolen and the report is entered into the system a signal is sent out over the pager network to activate a beacon. A theif can have a huge headstart before you ever find out. The big problem with LoJack is the recievers for the beacons. They are located in cop cars that are supposed to zero in on a stolen car. There are 4 in my county and one of them hasnt worked in 2 years. The patrol cars aren't on the road 24hrs a day either.

I did a Clifford Avantgaurd G4 and a satellite tracking system. If my alarm is triggered, battery voltage drops, etc. the sat receiver transmits to a call center that then will listen inside my car and monitor the vehicle position. If an intrusion is heard or the car moves they call the cops and me. They give the exact position and description of the car to the police before it gets out of hand. If the theives try to run they can shut the engine off by satellite (only with police permission). I can also operate some features of the car remotely myself. LoJack is 20 year old technology with no follow up maintenance on an old network. I won't even get into the "installers" they hire that throw the unit under the back seat in 10 minutes. It would be better to tie a string to your bumper and the other end to your finger at night.
I agree, well put. +1
Old May 10, 2006, 08:41 AM

well it seems to be a lost casue becasue even with out the remote start install u still need to cut the starter wire from the ignition, its great that the turbo timer is built into the unit its just a shame im gonna be voiding out my warrenty. Im honestly not worried about the wiring side of things but i hope they dont void out everything.

i can only imagen whats gonna happen when i do boost and oil pressure gauges in the car
Old May 10, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A good install is the key to security. The basic hack job with the brain next to the steering column and the ignition wires tapped right at the steering column harness are doing a real car theif a favor. I can disable most installs in 30 seconds. Notice I didn't say alarms, I said installs. If you get a good install there should be no factory warranty worries.

Also remember that the dealership will be happy to have a moron install an an aftermarket alarm in their parking lot for twice as much $$$ without ever mentioning your warranty may be voided.