Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So is GDI supposed to be on the next (VIII?) EVO?

Old Feb 22, 2002, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So is GDI supposed to be on the next (VIII?) EVO?

Reduces emissions by over 80%, and gets 20% better gas mileage. Pretty interesting technology. A clean, efficient ... sports car? That would be cool.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 12:20 PM

yeah the EVO VII was suppose to be GDi turbo.. when is america getting the GDi engine ergg
Old Feb 23, 2002, 04:37 AM

Based on what I know about GDI, we can't utilize it due to our lower octane gas. A GDI engine needs 98 or better to run.
Old Feb 23, 2002, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Gatecrasher
Based on what I know about GDI, we can't utilize it due to our lower octane gas. A GDI engine needs 98 or better to run.
Gatecrasher, where did you come accross that info? Wouldn't it be ironic if the additives they add to our gas prevent the use of this technology that would create much less polution.

I didn't know anything about the GDI technology so I did a little search and came up with the following links.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/GDI2000/index.htm

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/GDI2000/p09.htm

http://www.autospeed.com/A_1063/page1.html

Over 1 million GDI engines sold by
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/i...4-10/0122.html

Looks like some promising technology. Does anyone know if it exists in a high performance car?
Old Feb 23, 2002, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

The thing prvent GDI to work properly is not lower octance level of the US gas, but the high sulphur content in the gas. The main condition for this system to work is CLEAN gas...to create a fine mixture of air/gas...
Old Feb 23, 2002, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EvoLuvr
Looks like some promising technology. Does anyone know if it exists in a high performance car?
So far to ONLY model equipped with GDI turbo is the Pajero IO (1.8 turbo GDI 4G93) producing over 200 hp (can't really remember the exactly number)...

Mitsu claims that will be the prototype of the possble "higher performance" GDI turbo engine...sounds promising
Old Feb 27, 2002, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

I'm gonna put a big - *** GDI 0wns VTEC decal on my mitsu, y0!
OK, enough crack for one day. The GDI engine looks promising, but with the filthy and low octane gas we americans use, its hard to say if it will have a future here.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

However, based on the press release of Mitsu, the Montero Evolution (2dr, high proformance version) will make it to the states and will be equipped with MIVEC (Mitsu Innovative Valve Electronic Control??? I might be wrong on this one)

The MIVEC is the Mitsu's version of Vtec and it put more torque at low-mid range compares to Vtec...
Old Feb 27, 2002, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Lan Evo
So far to ONLY model equipped with GDI turbo is the Pajero IO (1.8 turbo GDI 4G93) producing over 200 hp (can't really remember the exactly number)...

Mitsu claims that will be the prototype of the possble "higher performance" GDI turbo engine...sounds promising
I have to correct myself. Actually, the GDI Turbo 4G93 produce only 160 hp on the Pajero IO. And there is another model equipped with this engine and that's the Lancer Cedia Wagon (FWD). The 4G93 GDI Turbo on the Wagon produced 165hp @ 5500rpm and 163lb/ft @ 3500rpm

Sorry for the wrong info I provided before...
Old May 28, 2002, 11:22 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Infinity
I'm gonna put a big - *** GDI 0wns VTEC decal on my mitsu, y0!
OK, enough crack for one day. The GDI engine looks promising, but with the filthy and low octane gas we americans use, its hard to say if it will have a future here.
]

An equivalent displacement GDI Engine would probably create more useful and usable torque than a VTEC, but keep in mind the technology is completely different. I'm pretty dern sure that GDI MIVEC engines are possible (And I believe exist in some Lancer Cedias). That would make for serious technology and serious torque there throughout the revs considering the size of the engine.

Comparing GDI to VTEC is really apples to oranges...I digressed, but that's what I was originally trying to say. MIVEC on the other hand...
Old May 29, 2002, 02:44 AM

Haven't been writing much for a while as I've been listening and reading...plus I'm not on line much. The GDI sounds like it would be a HUGE improvement as it would lower emmissions with increased torque and increased MPG. The whole concept of better swirling/mixing and vaporization of fuel inside the cylinder (cooling the gas slightly) doesn't intuitively seem that it would be negated by lower octane ratings or sulphur content. I have a BS in chemistry, so I have some fundamental understanding of combustion characteristics...but I could be completely wrong in thinking the GDI will do what it says. Nonetheless, reading Mitzubishi's material on the GDI...it sounds like a LOT of engineering went into the AF mixture dynamics in the cylinder and increased homogeneity of the AF mixture provides for more rapid detonation and thus better torque. The sulphur content is a concern for decreased performance (but that decrease would be noted in the fuel injected engines as well) though primarily it is a concern for emmissions (the sulphur oxides causing "acid rain" when they convert to H2SO4 (sulphuric acid) in the atmosphere)

I would like to hear from anyone who knows about the ability/difficulty of over-boring cylinders in a GDI engine. If the Evo 8 (or US 7.75 or whatever ) has the traditional engine, I plan to bore it to ~2.2 litres..would like to do the same if it's the GDI.

ONE SINGLE NOTE on the MK Olsen BS: This is a MMC Lancer Evo forum. Forget arguing over nonsense (except for all the nonsense we all enjoy arguing about ) I don't want to hear about what movies she is or will be in, what she is doing with her personal life, who wants to bend her over, etc, etc. If I wanted that crap, I would go wander in the teen/celebrity ****/fan club sites. If you actually believe that the user writing on our forum is a female, you are really not too bright. If you actually believe it is a teenaged female...you are a COMPLETE moron. If you think that it is the teenage actress, herself...you should concentrate on your breathing so you don't keep forgetting to do it, as you have obviously suffered severe hypoxic brain injury already and nearly all of your neurologic function will be required to perform this function.
Honestly, this guy likes MK Olsen, for which I do not blame him...enjoys cross-dressing, for which I do not blame him (though I do not share the proclivity)...and should stick to FAN forums to talk about her career...and **** forums to live out his fantasies about being...or being with...MK Olsen. It's fine if you want to be her on our forum...why should anyone care? But we want pictures of the Evo, not MK...we get her little picture as the icon..that's enough...or you can direct those interested to the fan sites where they can see them.
But honestly, ladies and gentlemen, to engage this guy in arguments about who he is...wanting to be...is really too stupid for words.
'NUFF SAID I will not discuss or respond to any of the MK BS again. Let's all do the same.
Old May 29, 2002, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

wouldnt making it a gdi make the evo a lot more expensive? the insight and pruis and others are so overprice for its performance...but not for effieciency
Old May 29, 2002, 03:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by yellow_lancer
wouldnt making it a gdi make the evo a lot more expensive? the insight and pruis and others are so overprice for its performance...but not for effieciency
The GDI engine is not like the ones on Insight and pruis (gasoline/eletric hybrid engine), it is still an internal combustion engine. However, utilized the direct injection just like diesel engine. The cost of this engine is not that high. As demonstrated by the price of JDM Mitsu vehicles.
Old May 29, 2002, 03:32 AM

GDI 0wns VTEC

what about I-VTEC?

Search this Thread