Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bah! My momo steering wheel is coming apart at the 6 o'clock spot!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bah! My momo steering wheel is coming apart at the 6 o'clock spot!

My Evo still has paper plates.... only 8k miles... and i notice at the 6 o'clock seam on the momo steering wheel the leather seam is coming apart. I ran it by the dealer today and they "need to have the service manager check it out during the week to OK the replacement". I work 7:30am till 5:30pm. No time to get it in. The guy also told me they may "take it to an apolstery shop" to repair it. BS.... typical mitsu. The guy told me its a $2k job for parts and labor to replace it. My comment was.... "i still have a warranty.... i want it replaced".

... we'll see how it goes.

Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

good comment to their BS statements
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ yuuuup
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

Oh man i thought i was the only one with this problem. I just noticed this the other day. Its coming appart in the same place. My car only has 1500 miles though. I hope you get it replaced, let us know how it goes so i can also take mine in.

Last edited by gomezgoku; Aug 19, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

I had mine replaced under warranty for the exact same thing. It isn't that damn expensive. I'd raise the B.S. flag on that one.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Crazy is this only a IX issue? The dealer will tell you your holding the steering wheel in the wrong place. . Na just kidding, Im sure theyll warranty it.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

hey me too - i was told to place my hands at the 10 and 2 position...otherwise theyll void the warranty...
Old Aug 19, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats a warranty? i drive an evo never had one of those.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Paper plates at 8000 miles? Arent those supposed to be for the 1st week or so? Maybe its different by state. Anywho, my passenger leather seat has a big flat spot in curb side "bolster" that just appeared. I cant imagine they would fix a leather problem like that, even though no one sits there.

Are the seams going to come apart on your wheel? I mean a certain amount of wear and tear is expected and will vary from car to car (although we wish out cars could stay mint until at least the warranty ran out, LOL).

If the leather is going to unwrap then they will need to fix it, but you might need to wait until this happens for this to look bad enough to get okayed.

Kinda like waiting for your synchro grind to become a "ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH" before they will work on it :-)
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
I had mine replaced under warranty for the exact same thing. It isn't that damn expensive. I'd raise the B.S. flag on that one.
Actually, it is that expensive. $2000.00 When you had yours replaced they should have given you receipt to show you exactly what it cost the dealer to fix the item. They will fix it if your warranty is still in effect.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

What dealer did you take it to?

Take it to HB or South Coast for anything you think that warranty should cover.....come on bro...you should know this MAN!!!!!!! (Imagine that last line just the same way smokey from the movie Friday says it)
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

mine too i gota take it to the dealer
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigfishs
Paper plates at 8000 miles? Arent those supposed to be for the 1st week or so? Maybe its different by state.
I've had my plates for 4 months or so. I've just left the sticker in the front window and have been flossing my CEC plate thing from my work. Advertising ya know... heh.

Are the seams going to come apart on your wheel? I mean a certain amount of wear and tear is expected and will vary from car to car (although we wish out cars could stay mint until at least the warranty ran out, LOL).
Wear and tear is expected. But when a car with 8k miles has a nice flap in the leather coming loose, i'm going to complain.

I hold the wheel at 2 and 10 or sometimes 3 and 9. The only time i touch that part of the wheel is when I let go of the wheel while coming out of a slow turn and let it slide through my fingers.

What dealer did you take it to?

Take it to HB or South Coast for anything you think that warranty should cover.....come on bro...you should know this MAN!!!!!!! (Imagine that last line just the same way smokey from the movie Friday says it)
I took it to HB Mitsu where I bought the car. I'll get the wheel replaced when i end up having to take off from work an hour early. If they give me flack, i'll talk with Tom Croxton the owner of the dealership.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same issue with me Evo 9. And I’m thinking of taking it in. Let us know what happens so we know what to expect. Only 1000 Miles.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:29 AM

happened to me too not even pass my first oil change but i am too busy to warranty the dang thing so i glued it back on and put a wheel cover on so it wont happen again

Quick Reply: Bah! My momo steering wheel is coming apart at the 6 o'clock spot!