Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2007 Tuner Shootout Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 Tuner Shootout Discussion

Well, since we are trying to get into our final planing stages for the 2007 Tuner Shootout, I figured its times to open a discussion on the event. For this coming event we are opening the competition up to STIs and GTRs as well. Although it is not yet 100 percent, the track will now be most likely, Streets, Buttonwillow full track, or Spring Moutain full track. Don't vote for your preference, as its not really up to us, its just whichever is available. If it does turn out to be Spring Mountain, we may do a national evo meet in Vegas as well. Another change is 3 classes in addition to the Spec NT-01 tire class

So make your comments and questions here. Also, if you think you would attend either as a competitior or HPDE entry, let us know here so we have a good feeling for attendance

Last edited by CharlesJ; Nov 8, 2006 at 07:20 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Here are my inital rules which will be tweaked many times. For people that would plan to compete, feel free to post your coments or if you think changes need to be made. These will most likely be pretty modified by the time they are set, especially the modified and unlimited class. One big question is wether or not the unlimited folks want to run full road race slicks.

EDIT: Final rules on page 5

Last edited by CharlesJ; Nov 29, 2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how many cars could actualy be in the "unlimited"..... if tires wasnt in the rules?

i duno of any....
Old Nov 8, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

The unlimited is for the real showboat cars. The HKS evo and Cobb carbon STI would definitely only fit in unlimited. However many other would fit their too. The idea was to have full on race cars in unlimited and have cars that could still be driven on the street in the modified class. The problem I have is, would competitor rather run slicks or DOT tires, and is the fear of a couple outrageouse cars going to scare everyone away. If this is the cars, some cars may be exhibition only. The street class is pretty set and I think is much more clear than last year. The only thing that may change in that class is the aero rules. If there are not enough competitors that would to compete in a wild anything goes class, we will change it up a bit.

Dont forget the other cars that can compete though....ie Skylines and Subarus. I do not think that skylines have a real advantage if you limit their tire size and engine mods. That coupled with the fact that their just are not many here preped for track
Old Nov 8, 2006, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

yea... i guess it would kinda suk to run a 50k car to a 200k car....

3 classes make since... the "unlimited" would be more like a fun class.. not much competition.. but 2 or 3 crazy cars....

MOD would be more competive....

keeping the hks evo and cobb sty in their own group would be more appealing to most......
Old Nov 8, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

I think you would do much better to stick with the rules for unlimited class that they use for the other major time attack series. That would be DOT tires only, and a stock tub chassis at a minimum for limitations. Most cars that are being built for time attack are being built to these rulesets, and varying too far from that will greatly reduce the car count. If you look at GTLive, Redline, and Super Street rules and keep those in mind, you will make your event much more successful. If you want to run those type cars, maybe just add a class "Super Unlimited" or such.

Mark
Old Nov 8, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to keep the cyber evo and HKS evo out of the genreal population. The cobb sti should probably been in that group too. Aside from that , the faster cars that will be invited are: XS Skyline, Crawford STI (he has two now), ESX/SPT race car, GSC black Evo, AMS black Evo, Robi-Spec black/silver Evo, possible Signal skyline, Zero/Sports STI, RRC Evo, etc.

If the majority of these cars are going in Mod, then the rules need to be changed as most of them would be classed into unlimited.

In terms of other peoples(redline, super street, etc) rules, which do you think fits this competition the best?

We could do a super unlimited class as you suggested that has no cash purse and is only for bragging rights and a trophy.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

The only way to keep those cars from entering this would be to limit entry to left hand drive vehicles only. Then use the same preparation rules that they use for the three series I mentioned. Going with the most liberal ruleset for each class. For example, the most liberal street class preparation from all three groups. This way, anyone who runs street class in any of those series would be legal for street class, and so on. Possible exception would be to stick with stock appearing turbos for street class. You don't want to create a situation where anyone who wants to be competitive at the shootout would have to spend a ton of money just for one event. They probably won't come if that is the case.
Mark
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

As an aside, why wouldn't you want the cyber evo to run? The right hand drive is the only real advantage that they have. Just pick a track that rotates counterclockwise for the event and then having the driver on the right would be a disadvantage.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Its not that we dont want it to run...we do. Just not against a population of cars that it will dominate. I would like to keep it in a completely unlimited class.

Here is a couple ideas for changes. The street class is already similar to the Redline street class with a couple major exceptions and some smaller ones that i want to keep being the 100 tread wear and a max 255 width tire. Being that we want people to use nitto nt01s, the tread wear is key, and sticking to 255 tires levels the playing feild very nicely as pretty much everyone will run the same size. Also, the NT-01 class should be in play again this year. I also am definitely leaving the externally stock turbo restriction. I like the other restrictions too as they are sort of a hybrid with NASA and keep the cost off being competitive down. I really want the street class to be about drive and tune rather than parts.

So we can take off the aero restrictions for street and I think that takes car of most that would enter it.

For the mod class, we still need a way of limiting the really crazy cars from getting in. For this, no tube, some variation of the OEM engine, and OEM suspension points (except for ALK). Other than that I would like to limit tires, weight reductions, a HP in someway. You wouldnt want to compete against a 800hp track monster skyline. I could keep the stock spec internals rule in place for this on the skyline.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Will Modified and Unlimited be able to run triple adjustable coilovers? The rules don't specify.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

If you see a rule in a lower class and not in a higher class, then that is not a limitation for the higher class. So yes, you would be able to. Just trying to keep the really high dollar items out of street
Old Nov 8, 2006, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Another part of the discussion is dates. Right now, we are thinking late may/early june, or september as to avoid the hottest and coldest times.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor

The Unlimited class is the place our car will be, our car has about 1/4 of the money and time that the Cyber Evo and the HKS Evo have in them, not that i am complaining about their development time. As fast as i feel our car is, it is not on the level of those cars but we will come anyways.

Late may and early June will take us out of the event. conflicts with grand am(April 29th, May 20th, and the 28th / June 9th, 15th, and 23rd) , One Lap (May 4th-12th) and uh work somewhere in there. i say September time frame except the weekend of the 15th Grand Am.

Greg on Leh's name. damn Computer took a dump today
Old Nov 9, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Are any of those grand am dates in CA...maybe it would wrok out nicely to have it the weekend before or after so you dont have to cross country twice

Quick Reply: 2007 Tuner Shootout Discussion