Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Removing factory radio

Old May 27, 2003, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing factory radio

does anybody know if it is very hard to get to the wiring behind the stock radio?

How do you get to those wires

im trying to install my system in my and i need to connect the adapt to speaker wires

Please help thanks
Old May 29, 2003, 08:01 AM

Piece of cake

The Radio takes 2 minutes to remove.

Pull the knobs off of you r heater controls. Remove the two screws behind the first and third knob. then you need to pull the plate off. there will be four clips and mine was snug. Just take your time and use even pressure. Radio has four screws. Your done.

Gary
Old May 29, 2003, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bit longer then 2 minutes if you don't want to damage anything, i'd say more like 30 mins for a clean job. There should be a thread about removing the gauge option and switching the radio and gauges around. It shows step by step how to do this.
Old Jun 15, 2003, 03:26 AM

guys......do i need to buy any adaptors to change the stock radio to aftermarket deck?????or i just plug and play?????
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

i just got on to ask the same question cause im switchin to a dvd player right now and the stock radio screws into the dash and my new deck has a metal sleeve that goes around it to use to mount
and i cant figure out a way to make it work
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

I used the stock metal mounting brackets from the deck. They were a complete pain in the A$$ to unscrew, but lined up perfectly with the screw holes on the side of my Pioneer deck.

FYI, I did have to put some washers on the mounting screws to make the deck sit flush with the console, and also purchased a wiring harness from BestBuy to make the wiring easier.

Good luck!
Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:17 PM

Your going to need a wiring harness to connect the wires to the stock harness...

btw, there's 2 more screws in the lil shelve underneath the heater controls.. dont' forget about thos

Also, bout the dvd player, if you don't have RCA inputs *if it's an external dvd player* on the back of your head unit your going to need an RF modulator
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

What wire harness should i get for the aftermarket is it just the lancer evo. lancer, Eclipse? Just wondering since with the turbo timer its the eclipse so some info would be great. Eric
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

just a lancer harness. it may say /dodge harness if you buy yours from good guys.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
A bit longer then 2 minutes if you don't want to damage anything, i'd say more like 30 mins for a clean job. There should be a thread about removing the gauge option and switching the radio and gauges around. It shows step by step how to do this.
Bro if ittakes you 30 mins to remove the stock radio you should put tools away and do something else. JK

Seriously You can pull the stock radio in 5 - 6 minutes. No biggie. I did mine in the dealer parking lot just about! LMAO

10 screws total. Two behind the Heat/AC control and 4 on radio and 4 on the radio brackets.

then unplug the harness. Go to circuit city and tell them you need a harness for a Lancer and also see if they carry a "smart Harness" for the radio your putting in. Full install time should be less then 12 -15 TOPs!
Old Feb 12, 2004, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Piece of cake

Originally posted by evo-onz-u
The Radio takes 2 minutes to remove.

Pull the knobs off of you r heater controls. Remove the two screws behind the first and third knob. then you need to pull the plate off. there will be four clips and mine was snug. Just take your time and use even pressure. Radio has four screws. Your done.

Gary

SIX clips...and I can change the tunes in 1 minute flat. On your first try, make sure that you pull STRAIGHT OUT on the clips, don't get a hold of the middle or something and pull at an angle. Also, there are little yellow clips on the clips...don't lose them.

Last edited by OnlineAlias; Feb 12, 2004 at 04:47 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 05:14 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

The longest part is to Solder your wired to a wiring harness. After that removing and repluging a wired radio takes less than 10 minutes.

Remove all the climate control knobs by pulling them off and 2 screw holds the plastic plate. Make sure you pop off the plat evenly or you'll get it stuck if you pull on one side.

good luck.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

How bout if you just want to extend the radio harness about 4 feet??? How would you go about buying/making this cable. (where are the connectors gonna be found and such).

THANKS
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by BADEVO

Bro if ittakes you 30 mins to remove the stock radio you should put tools away and do something else. JK

Seriously You can pull the stock radio in 5 - 6 minutes. No biggie. I did mine in the dealer parking lot just about! LMAO
You are awesome. You deserve a gold star or at least an Achievement Certificate.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:46 PM

pulling off the stock radio is no big thing, but if your new i understand the pain..... at first i couldn't find the screws, felt stupid when i did. Believe me, after you do it once you'll do it for fun. I do it in the school parking lot when i get bored, the usd cop asks me if i got my radio stolen lol, i just leave it in the trunk (whole unit)