Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

1-2 shifting problems and warranty

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2003, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Read this!

Hey guys/gals,

As some of you know I will be taking my car in to the dealership to try and resolve the 1-2 shift problems some of us have. In my opinion it's inexcusable to have such a flaw on any car that's geared for high performance. Now, I've seen lots of people mention they've missed the shift to 2nd or have grinded it. This is where I need everyone's help. IF the dealership tries to get out of fixing this problem for me I would like to print out a list of everyone experiencing the same problem so they can see it's not just me. I'd like to get a list started of people with the 1-2 shift grind including VIN #'s. IF you don't wan't to include your VIN for security purposes with the dealership and people then please list the build date of your car at least. Build date is very important as there may be a coincidence with cars built in February that all grind. This info will also help to pinpoint a manufacturer defect. Thanks in advance for all support in this problem.

VIN# JA3AH86F33U093213

Build date : February 2003

To locate your build date open the driver door. Towards the bottom near the sill where the middle support runs between the front and back door is a sticker with tons of info including the date it was built.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

69 views and no responses. Yet when mentioning grinding at the track 50 people pipe in about having missed 2nd gear as well. Great support guys. Makes me understand all the criticism Mitsu cars get now. Besides the tranny my felt on the door inset is coming off now and there's a loud rattling right next to my head on the drivers side. 3 months old. Friggin awesome. As much as I love the performance, the rest of this stuff is just inexcusable.

I rode with a rep today and grinded it both times I tried. So they're going to look at the synchros to see if they need alignment or not.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I don't have any problems shifting.

Also, the EVO was never not build for drag racing type of shifts, it was build for slower, smoother rally roads/track shifting.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

I knew someone was going to say that. It's a ****ing race car people. Straight line or not, it doesn't matter. There's no specific way to make a transmission for either case. There is no other car out there that I have ever heard about a problem shifting from 1-2 or 3-4. It doesn't matter what application it's being used for no car is designed to do this. It's simply a flaw. With others not having the problem tells me certain build dates may have gotten screwed due to a badly aligned machine or something.

If you've never had it grind going into 2nd or any other gear don't waste my time posting. But if you have definitely POST! And I know there's lots of you out there that have missed 2nd. So what gives? This is for everybody's benefit.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

no problems here either
did you properly break in your evo? dont get pissed just asking
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

I have a Feb '03 build with an ...090653 vin. My Evo has not had a single problem (knock on wood ). Occasionally I have experienced a second shift grind, but it never happens if I pull just slightly to the left on the lever when speed/power shifting. I also agree that this tranny should be able to take the abuse of high rpm quick shifting. I feel they are made to take it but some just had manufacturing problems. I autox my Evo and I launch at 5000-5500 rpm and power shift second every time. My tranny also seemed pretty notchy until I hit about 2000 miles. It felt a little funny going into third..almost like a synchro prob..but it has since gotten smooth. I guess it just needed broken in more. Because of the notchiness in the tranny I took it easy on the tranny for a while avoiding high rpm launches and quick shifts to second and third. Sometimes it takes a while to get everything broken-in fully. I'm sure you are past the 2000 mile point and probably have a damaged second gear synchro. When did you start shifting hard?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evilution
there's a loud rattling right next to my head on the drivers side.
Its not your seat belt is it? My front seat belts regularly get caught between the recaros and the b-pillar. They rattle if they get caught like this.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

I have a hair over 5000 miles and broke it in to manual reqs. I didn't get on it until 850 miles at which I hit the 2nd gear grind for the first time. After my first oil change close to 3000 miles I tried again. Got grind after grind. Now at 5000 miles the same thing.

The rattle does sound like it's coming from the seat belt plastic housing piece but I've tried holding it down in case it was rattling, looking for something moving or knocking and nothing. I'm not sure what it is. Least of my worries. The tranny is my biggest concern right now.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

what did you dealer say?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

A friend of mine has a 2001 Eclipse. It basically has the same tranny. It has a grinding from 2nd to 3rd when shifting fast. I drove it and it is NOT correct. Slow shifting is fine, but shift fast and it grinds every time. Could be related to the Evo tranny problem? Do you think your problem is a syncro?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

You're a doing a good thing, by trying to document as many cases as possible. That's the only way Mitsu will hear about it and hopefully take action.

I would like to help you, but I myself don't have a grind problem neither do I know anyone that does.

Any word from the dealer yet?
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Not a single problem with mine. I think I may even have taken my car out on the dragstrip and road course for some abuse.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by AutoXer
A friend of mine has a 2001 Eclipse. It basically has the same tranny. It has a grinding from 2nd to 3rd when shifting fast. I drove it and it is NOT correct. Slow shifting is fine, but shift fast and it grinds every time. Could be related to the Evo tranny problem? Do you think your problem is a syncro?
WTF are you talking about? The '01 Eclipse 5spd is not the same transmission as the one in the Evo8. Totally different transmissions there buddy.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Just talked to the dealer. After a conversation with the factory on the tranny they told me exactly what I didn't want to hear. They say because I'm speed shifting it will grind everytime. I'm not giving it enough time for the syncros to line up. If I give it a second it should shift into gear without grind. So basically there's nothing they can or will do about it. They say it's designed that way.

Personally, I think that's garbage. The amount of time lost from the 1-2 shift is the difference between a win and a loss in the race. I bought this car for all of my track needs. 1/4 mile and road course. The car should accomodate my driving style and not the other way around.

Another thing. If I wait instead of shifting immediately I don't get a grind but instead I get a snag where it still needs more time and force to go into gear. It's annoying as hell and embarrassing grinding in front of everyone all the time. A once flawless car in my eyes has been severely flawed. I'm betting the Japanese version doesn't have this problem. Less syncros and more gears. Man I miss my Supra even more so now.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

----MEH! Once again, a lost race that I should have won. All due to the fact that my 2nd gear wont engage!

My problem is that whenever im in a race, I go to shift from 1st to 2nd gear and the 2nd gear doesnt engage! It gets stuck while shifting in so im left in neutral and all I hear are my revs going up.

Anyone know any fixes to help this? I should have won... I was off the line faster and accelerating a lot faster >.<

~Malak

-----well, i have 800 miles on my evo, and today i decided to give it some gas and shift fast, but from 1st gear to 2nd, i hear a cluck noise, and i can feel it. i havent figured out where its coming from yet, but it doesnt sound normal. does anyone else have this problem? it only seems to happen shifting from 1st to second. im gana take it to the dealership to get this sorted out. in the mean time, give me ANY suggestions you may have about this. thanks,
-Andy

------Same problem...except sometimes I think I hear/feel it in some other gears although not as much..

-------Back on topic please.

For me Claudius, it's not the clunk....it's the fact that it feels as though the gearbox wants to jump out of first gear sometimes when I push the clutch and then grab the stick. It's like it springs out of 1st. This doesn't happen going to or from any other gear and it by no means happens all the time or even consistently in any way.

--------I have noticed this noise in my Evo also. Has anyone taken their car to to have them look into it?

----------I get a clunk kinda noise when shifting to third. I find if i push the clutch in all the way/slow it dosnt clunk. Which hurts when your trying to shift fast.

Anyone else have the third gear clunk noise?

--------actually I have a third gear grinding noise. If i shift below 3000 rpms i get a grinding noise. seems to go away if i shift about 3000 rpms

-------Is it me, or is anyone else having some trouble doing 1-2 shifts? I know there was another thread where someone was snagging at the neutral gate before 2, but that's not the problem I'm getting. I've been driving a lot more these past couple days, I maybe put on close to 100 miles in just 2-3 days from just cruising around at night while bored, so I feel like I've gotten a pretty good feel for the clutch/tranny.

Anyway, I've found that when shifting into 2nd, it takes an abnormally long time to engage... I dunno why, none of the other gears are having this problem, not 1st either, just 2nd. It's like, after I shift and I release the clutch, it seems like an eternity before it actually engages so I can accelerate smoothly. I mean, it's one thing if I'm trying to go fast but it's rather annoying to have 2nd gear jerk like that. Kinda odd... should I get it checked out?

---------I think I was the one who posted about the 1-2 shift.. I know for a fact it was me.. The gears are very fast, and timing is everything, I can say that the clutch requires more pedal to fully release which causes me to miss the 1-2 shift. Full engagement/disengagement on my old car (a 91 corvette, and a 97 z-28) was within 2 inches, not only that, but a power shift was easier because of the type of synchros, if you leaned on the shifter without pushing it, it would want to jump into gear. With the RPM's of this tranny, and the 'cog-like' feel of the synchros, its pretty obvious that RPM Matching is much more important, you just can't ham-fist it into gear, however a light touch and enough pedal disengagement will cause it to go in alot easier. It just makes power-shifting a little tricky because of the desire to find the gear as hard and as fast as you can..

Jack

----------I have ground it twice.
I was at 7000rpm going into second.

With other cars I have owned the clutch pedal did not have to be on the floor. I guess I got lazy or sloppy driving those cars. This clutch has to be all the way down to the carpet at 7000rpm. I am used to barely hitting the clutch.

Maybe with the short stroke it is going in gear faster than I expect it to.(?)

PS I have been driving manual longer than Mary Kate has been alive

-----------I find I get a crunching sound/feel when I go from 2 to 3rd.

---------Funny thing, in the new SCC (Street Racing in Tokyo cover) they guy complained about how poorly he shifted and had at least two missed shifts at his day at the track. I believe he missed 2nd both times. His range was anywhere from mid 14's to (I believe) 13.882. It may be something common of all Evos.

---------I just broke mine in and I have grinded second 2 times and missed 2 times. I am not retarded and I know how to drive just fine, but somthing kinda catches and then you miss or grind. No big deal I just need to get used to it I guess

--------The gates are notchy and a bit vague. 3 synchros are not helping much for high rpm shifting. I've missed 1-2 upshifts a few times. I hope that miles will help loosen up the tranny.

------------Sweet review. Thanks! I do want to know what the deal is with the 1-2 shifts. I've also got two DSMs. Neither of them do the 1-2 so poorly as this EVO. I'm kinda disappointed as I expected the triple syncros to really help out. If I try to shift over 7k, forget it. :-( Perhaps a clutch switch based fuel cut will help (as it does with the DSMs), but I'm still left wondering why this tranny is so "special".

Thomas Dorris

If you won't help me I'll help myself. There's tons of other responses about noises, misshifts, grinds, etc. Don't have time to paste em all.