Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help with short in wiring

Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with short in wiring

I have an Evo IX with about 2K miles. I have a short going from the ground wire to the exhaust cam position sensor tracing up through the wiring harness. The only visable damage is the chassis ground wire going from the firewall to the intake manifold was broken during clutch install which was done a month ago, but I didn't start driving the car hard until Sunday during the AMS tune when my car ran great. Then the next day while driving my car gave a SES light and died with a cam sensor error. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the dealer wants to charge me $1700 plus $600 labor for the wiring harness and $300 for the transmission harness. The Mitsu tech thinks damage to the wiring done during clutch install when the engine was moved was the culprit, but the shop that did the clutch install doesn't believe they could have done the damage. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for time and help in this matter.

Last edited by Gofaster52; Jul 11, 2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gofaster52
I have an Evo IX with about 2K miles. I have a short going from the ground wire to the exhaust cam position sensor tracing up through the wiring harness. The only visable damage is the chassis ground wire going from the firewall to the intake manifold was broken during clutch install which was done a month ago, but I didn't start driving the car hard until Sunday during the AMS tune when my car ran great. Then the next day while driving my car gave a SES light and died with a cam sensor error. Any help would be greatly appreciated as the dealer wants to charge me $1700 plus $600 labor for the wiring harness and $300 for the transmission harness. The Mitsu tech thinks damage to the wiring done during clutch install was the culprit, but the shop that did the clutch install doesn't believe they could have done the damage. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks for time and help in this matter.

Who did the clutch install? If it was done by an outside shop, I would take it back to them.

I would definitely repair that damaged ground wire first and then go from there. Good luck.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:23 AM

The problem is the wiring harness is like melted, and they refuse to fix it.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:49 PM

You can find a good auto electric shop and they will fix the harness for you for alot less than a dealer will charge you to replace. Although replacement is the best, most reliable fix. Wiring harnesses are not difficult to replace yourself, even you are even only slightly mechanically inclined, you can do it.

Last edited by 4g63tFan@tic; Aug 8, 2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into someone fixing it.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Do you have the stock battery or a small battery kit?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:26 AM

I have the small battery kit. It's actually called a Deka and is only 11.5 lbs. It's the same one as the Braille. Do you think that could cause the problem?